Help needed with Philadephia!

impartfish

We're going to be staying in Philly before a cruise next Fall and have never been there before. Can someone answer some questions for me?

1. Hotel - If we want to be able to walk to most of the major downtown sights, where would be a good location to start my hotel search in? Is that even possible to walk to the majority of the sights?

2. Is driving recommended in this city? We just want to see the major sights, as we will only have 2 full days there.

Thanks for the help!! I appreciate it! :)

If you want to see the historic sights in the city itself, I do not recommend driving. If you want to see Valley Forge, etc., areas out side of the immediate downtown, driving is almost a necessity.

I live south of Philly and would be happy to provide whatever assistance I can - but my first question is which sights are you specifically interested in? Then I can recommend some hotels, transportation options, etc.

And if you can spend one more day - well, there's Longwood Gardens, Winterthur, Brandywine River Museum......there is a lot in the greater Philly area worth seeing.

Would love to help showcase our part of the country!

Darn! Our plans just changed! :( DH just called & can't get the time off for a pre-cruise stay. :( Thanks so much for the offer of help though! It was really nice of you. :)

Make sure you come and see us some time, okay! We have museums, history, a zoo, shopping (and no tax on clothes or shoes:) ), great restaurants, ballet, opera, orchestra, theater, walking trails in Fairmount Park, and a whole lot more. You could do the first two days in downtown and never need a car, and let your sense of adventure take you beyond the city limits, too...even a tour of QVC if you shop on tv.

I'm from Philly area and thought the link below would be helpful for anyone else who may come across this thread. Joseph (the OP) is on the Crown now and due back Saturday, so I'd imagine he will let us know how he liked Philly and exactly what he did. That might be more useful to those who have never been here -- get the perspective of a newbie as to what he liked and what he'd do differently.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=599502

I'm from Philly area and thought the link below would be helpful for anyone else who may come across this thread. Joseph (the OP) is on the Crown now and due back Saturday, so I'd imagine he will let us know how he liked Philly and exactly what he did. That might be more useful to those who have never been here -- get the perspective of a newbie as to what he liked and what he'd do differently.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=599502

I hope he posts his feedback. I'm tired from just reading all the suggestions! He never mentioned his age or interests, which certainly could help shorten his list:)

JRW, have a great trip. I can't wait to return to Atlantic Canada. It's one of my favorite places because the people are so warm and welcoming.

I hope he posts his feedback. I'm tired from just reading all the suggestions! He never mentioned his age or interests, which certainly could help shorten his list:)

JRW, have a great trip. I can't wait to return to Atlantic Canada. It's one of my favorite places because the people are so warm and welcoming.

Hi, as19111 (my neighbor!). I think Joseph will post. I saw several other threads by him and he is something like 26 and is a doctor in Mexico. He seems to have very varied interests. I am curious as to what he did in the limited time he was here, and how he liked Philly. You and I know it well, so it would be nice to get the perspective of someone who saw it as a first-timer.

Thanks for the trip wishes...actually, we've been home almost a week now! We did the Oct 6 sailing and it was awesome! I agree with you on Atlantic Canada. The people we met in Halifax and St. John (NB) were very friendly and happy to have us there. The cruise traffic is a tremendous boost to their local economy, and on our excursions the guides made specific mention of how happy & grateful they are. :)

Archived