Reasonable but Central Hotel in Vancouver?

LynneL

A friend & I will be cruising out of Vancouver in July. As we will be two women traveling alone, we want a hotel that is clean, comfortable & in a safe area. Not looking for luxury. Any suggestions?

Also, anyone know which pier the Serenade of the Seas sails from?

A friend & I will be cruising out of Vancouver in July. As we will be two women traveling alone, we want a hotel that is clean, comfortable & in a safe area. Not looking for luxury. Any suggestions?

The Pier is Ballantyne Pier - 655 Centenial Road Vancouver, B.C.

Usually Vancouver Downtown hotels are very expensive in Summer at least over C$200 per night. You can try hotels located on Roberson street, Bitty Street, Hower Street, David Street, Granville Street, or Broadway (between Oak and Cambie Street)

Also "Richmond", where Vancouver International Airport is; about 25 minutes from Vancouver Downtown)

The downtown area is pretty expensive during high season when you will be here...but there are some good hotels available. Check Priceline and see what they have on offer.

There is a Holiday Inn on Howe Street (please note the correct spelling...not as in the previous post) where friends of ours stayed that was reasonable, clean, and is a good location. There are also a couple of good hotels on Davie St. (again note the correct spelling).

Ballentyne Pier is a cab ride from anywhere downtown anyway so you are not going to find a hotel near the pier...at least not one you will not to stay in!

Check out the Sylvia Hotel - it is an older property (but refurbished) overlooking English Bay. A friend has stayed there often and swears by it.

It is a very short distance to Stanley Park in one direction and Granville Island in another.

I have relatives in Vancouver with whom I stay, otherwise, I would reserve here when I visit.

I have stayed down on Robson street a few times. Great shopping, fabulous eating and walking on Robson. Not far from Stanley Park - within easy walking distance. It is a short cab ride to the pier ( 10 min) The Listel ( also has great dining) or the Pacific Palisades both are more reasonalby priced and nicely decorated and very clean. Also very safe to walk at night in this area as there are lots of people strolling Robson street.

Check out their websites

pacific palisades hotel on robson street $135?

or the listel hotel on robson street

The Perimeter bus takes you from the airport YVR to downtown direct to Pacific Palisades and you could do an easy walk to the Listel.

Also try staying in Richmond BC a 5 - 10 min cab ride from YVR safe and reasonable two major shopping centers. try thetourismrichmond(dotcom) web site under accomodations. I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express free breakfast - clean and reasonable and has a shuttle to the airport.

I also now live in the greater vancouver area

I have stayed down on Robson street a few times. Great shopping, fabulous eating and walking on Robson. Not far from Stanley Park - within easy walking distance. It is a short cab ride to the pier ( 10 min) The Listel ( also has great dining) or the Pacific Palisades both are more reasonalby priced and nicely decorated and very clean. Also very safe to walk at night in this area as there are lots of people strolling Robson street.

Check out their websites

pacific palisades hotel on robson street $135?

or the listel hotel on robson street

The Perimeter bus takes you from the airport YVR to downtown direct to Pacific Palisades and you could do an easy walk to the Listel.

Also try staying in Richmond BC a 5 - 10 min cab ride from YVR safe and reasonable two major shopping centers. try thetourismrichmond(dotcom) web site under accomodations. I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express free breakfast - clean and reasonable and has a shuttle to the airport.

I also now live in the greater vancouver area

I stayed there recently..Really really nice rooms But a little pricey :) ok!! a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

You can also choose to stay outside of downtown and take the Skytrain (elevated train outside of downtown -- subway downtown) into town on the day of your cruise. Get off at waterfront station, exit west, go up the escallator on your right and you're at the cruise ship terminal. It doesn't get any easier, We live in Vancouver, and have always taken transit to get to the cruise ship terminal. Note, there are two cruise ship terminals, and this applies to 'Canada Place' where most ships dock. If you're at Ballentyne, you'll want to take a cab, it's a dodgy part of town.

I too am looking for the same type of hotel as the OP. I have been reading reviews, and the Robsonstrasse hotel on Robson St.came into play. Also the Executive Hotel on Howe St.

Do you know anything about these hotels? We want to stay in a place where we can walk to some venues.

We will sail on the Infinity on her repositioning cruise next Sept. 19. I am hoping that she will berth at Canada Place.

"Robsonstrasse hotel on Robson St" - more of a converted apartment building than a true hotel but in an excellent location - central to shopping, eating and Stanley Park -. Also the Executive Hotel on Howe St. - this one is a true hotel at the top end of the downtown core - i can actually see it from my balcony - close to False creek and the ferries over to Granville Island.

Try this web site for some ratings and comments on things to do in the downtown - west end - English Bay area.

http://www.englishbay.com

Hope this helps

Cheers from snowy Vancouver

Dennis

I would second the Sylvia hotel. It is an older but well kept place.

http://www.sylviahotel.com/

Older hotel, clean and across the street from the beach. It is next to Stanley park in a residential area. Lots of restaurants and a grocery store nearby. This is a gay area of town. Not the hotel but the neighbourhood. If this bugs you don't go. It made me feel very safe walking around, even at night there were lots of people around.

Also, as I just posted the restaurant in the hotel is very good.

• 4 weeks later...

LynneL

When are you departing? We are also cruising on the Serenade departing on July 19th.

Archived