Cruise Air ?

BIG4YA

1) Has anyone even booked cruise air for an alaska cruise leaving out of Vancouver from the southeast? How were the flight schedules? I am wondering whether to add on air deviation.

2) Also with air deviation, do you pick flights from selected options or just submit preferences? Does one fee apply for input on both flights?

3) I have also booked a 2 night pre cruise stay through the cruise line but I will looking to for something on my own. But I guess I would have to purchase air deviation for the cruise line to fly us in early.

A deviation fee covers the flight. BUT compare flights yourself with all the airlines serving your airport. Rarely, for Alaska cruises is cruise air a bargain. Overall, don't expect "good" flights, since you are in line for bulk rates.

Correct you will have to have a deviation if you want to come in 2 days early. Again, you most likely are going to do way better booking your own. Factor in 2 cab rides- if round trip Vancouver about $70ca+++

And, cruise hotels are usually a big rip off, since they are per person rates, you just about always can do better booking on your own.

Thanks BQ,

Actually we have booked the 14-night trip on RCCL and plan to fly into Vancouver on 9/10 and fly out of San Diego on 9/26. The cruise air price is $629 PP w/o deviation. I have begun looking for flight on my own and found flight to Vancouver for $311 PP but Orbitz was only allowing booking through 9/12. Does all travel site only allow you to book flight no more than 330 days. If so, I guess I have to wait and see what the flights are from SAN to MCO but I would think it would cheaper than the $311 PP so we will definitely be considering booking on our own.

What is the early to consider a return flight with the ship expecting to be in port at 7:00 AM. Is the port in SAN far from the airport?

Most airlines don't release their schedules until 330 days out, some wait until around 180 days out.

SAN is maybe a 10 minute taxi ride from the port, but sometimes the lines for security at SAN can be very slow. Also, disembarking in San Diego can be very slow if there is more than one ship in port. So far it looks like there will be at least 2 ships in port the day you disembark. On the 14 night Radiance repo from Vancouver this year the start of disembarking was delayed by over 2 hours and then went very slow after it started.

For clairfication, you do not want to purchase 2 one way tickets. Look for "multi city" options at booking sites. This is usually cheaper than 2 one way tickets.

The San Diego airport can actually be seen from the cruise port. There should be guidelines for timeframes, with the cruiseline. I wouldn't look at before 11am.

Archived