Is Venice Walkable?

Where the boats dock in Venice looks very close on the maps to St . Marks Square. Bell Tower, etc. Is it safe to assume this city can be explored easily by foot. I know a boat ride down the canal and gondola rides are popular but are most of the main attractions within walking distance of the ship?

It has been over 20 years since I was in Venice, but I can't imagine any other way to see this amazing city then on foot. We stayed outside of the city, there are buses and taxis. The water taxis will take you to any of the islands. They are crowded, even back then. Its wonderful. Have a great time.

Get a 24 hour vapretto pass for about 12 Euros, then take the #1 down the Grand Canal, getting off where you want. We did this for 2 days. Your pass will take you over to Murano; just get on the correct vapretto.

I HIGHLY recommend a laminated map of Venice that can be purchased at Barnes & Noble or Borders for about $8. They are pocket size that fold out, and you can plan your walking with it.

Many, many of the small streets have signs pointing to St. Mark's Square, so getting lost isn't much of a problem. Go to the Grand Canal or walk to St. Mark's.

We adored Venice!!!

We just returned from our cruise, and Venice was one of the ports on our itinerary. The first day the ship docked very close to St. Mark's which is not ususal. All the other ships were docked further out. From this point we could walk to the heart of Venice, about 15 minutes. The next morning, the ship moved and a shuttle was used from the ship to the square. You could walk but it was a long distance, and the shuttle was the fastest way. Once you are in the city, walking is wonderful and doable to all the main attractions. And even more fun to lose your way and discover other streets. We used the vaparetta to go to Murano. This is an experience on its own as they really pack you in.

I HIGHLY recommend a laminated map of Venice that can be purchased at Barnes & Noble or Borders for about $8. They are pocket size that fold out, and you can plan your walking with it.

I second this suggestion. We used "Streetwise Venice" and I believe there is another brand too that makes a small pocket size laminated map. Look for the street names up on the corner of the buildings. We walked all over Venice for 2 days, winding our way through the streets, as well as going to Murano and Burano. Burano is very quaint and has a street full of good restaurants as well as the lace shops.

The vast majority of cruise ships dock at Stazione Maritima which is located just at the foot of the bridge that comes across from the mainland. This would put it close to the train station. This is as far as one can go by motor vehicle. From this point you walk or take a smaller water vessel. All the walking is very flat, usually over a cobbled street with the exception being the various foot bridges that cross the canals. I'm no walker; but it is easy to do. A few of the smaller ships occasionally dock at San Basilio Basin which is a little closer to Piazza San Marco by going over the Accademia Bridge.

We just returned from the Brilliance. We were docked at Stazione Marittima. First day we walked from the ship to St. Mark's, all around the square, and did the Doge's Palace. Thankfully we took a ship shuttle back. Second day we walked from the ship to the Rialto Bridge, walked that area, and walked back. Yeah, it's possible, but it's a lot of walking. A lot.

Yes, Venice is very walkable but do not waste your time walking from the ship into "venice" take the ship's shuttle or the alilaguna from the terminal to San Marco. It wil cost some money, not a huge amount but to waste the 30 minutes walking from the ship through areas that are not particularly interesting (that is polite) it isn't worth it to waste time that can be spent walking in for more interesting areas. Walking in Venice is just wonderful and the only way to see the city.

Walking is the best way to take in Venice.

We were equipped with a pair of maps (as was suggested earlier). I got ours at Barnes & Noble. One is by Borch maps, and the other by Pocket-Pilot. Each showed the Vaparroetto routes, etc.

Venice is only about 2 miles across, and would urge you to explore beyond St. Marks. It is a truly enchanting city, totally different from anyplace else. We bouight a pair of round trip shuttle tix from the ship, but only used two, walking the other times. Passed by locals going to and from their daily work, got a real sense of the city that way, and enjoyed it very much.

Yes, we took a gondola ride, and yes, we went to St. Marks, but we also went exploring. I have some great photos of empty streets (canals) lined with residences, with flowers hanging from the windows. Its just lovely. :)

Enjoy :)

I have been to Venice six times now and I walk from Piazzle Roma to St. Marks at least twice each day while I am there. It certainly won't kill you. Sometimes I take the vaporetto one way and walk back the other way. Definitely do both because you get to see different things by land and by water.

Walking is one of the fun things about Venice. There are no cars and it is like a maze. You are in narrow passage ways then come to a courtyard and wonder which way to go. Its fun!

It takes about 40 minutes to walk from Piazzle Roma to St. Mark's square and it takes about 40 minutes on the vaporetto- so most people just walk.

Archived