Cozumel shore excursions

chaka khan

I'm really torn about what to do in Cozumel. I really would like to do the ruins in Tulum, but we only have one day and that would be spent if we went to Tulum. I hate to miss the rest of the island. I'd also like to see the jungle, the city, maybe do a horseback ride. Does anyone have an opinion they'd like to share? Are the ruins cool enough to skip everything else? I should add that my husband's not into snorkeling, so that's not really an option. That narrows it down a little!

Thanks for any help!:o

we are doing a all-inclusive beach club...but there is more informaton on the cozumel board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

maybe someone there can help point you in the right direction.

i thought about tulum, but then found out how much time is spent just getting there and back...decided against it. since we are doing Lamanai & The New River Safari in belize and Quirigua Archeological Explorer in santo tomas...hopefully that will give me my "mayan" fix. in cozumel we are doing nachi cocom..for beach/pool/food/beach massage and general relaxing.

I really would like to do the ruins in Tulum, but we only have one day and that would be spent if we went to Tulum. I hate to miss the rest of the island. I'd also like to see the jungle, the city, maybe do a horseback ride. Does anyone have an opinion they'd like to share? Are the ruins cool enough to skip everything else? I should add that my husband's not into snorkeling, so that's not really an option. That narrows it down a little!

#1, you can't go to the Caribbean and NOT snorkel. If you're husband doesn't want to do it, leave him in Carlos and Charlies or Senor Frogs and YOU go. LOL.

On our first cruise to Cozumel in 95 the ONLY part we saw was the inside of Carlos and Charlies, a local party place. Had a total blast, but we were much younger then.

We've been back twice since and it's one of our favorite ports. My wife and son did the Royal Dolphin Swim there in August. I don't know if you'll find anyone who says they didn't love that experience. Sometimes hard to talk the men into it because they think it's kind of a girly thing but after they do it they too become fans. I was "forced" to go to the Ruins with my daugther on that cruise but next time I will give it a shot. Best place to do it is through Dolphin Discovery.com. The whole thing takes around 2 hours as I recall so if you want to go into town or do some sightseeing you'll have time.

The park (Chankanaab)where the Dolphin Swim is would be a good place to try out snorkeling if you've never done it. They rent equipment there and you can do it right from shore. The park itself is very beautiful and they have a decent restaurant there.

For the Ruins, you take the ferry from the pier to the mainland and then a bus ride to the ruins. The bus ride was around an hour or a bit more but it wasn't that bad. The buses are air conditioned and quite comfortable. They give you a box lunch on the bus. It's edible but not great. There is a tour guide on the bus who tells you all about Mayan history. Ours was a direct Mayan descendent and very proud of his heritage.

Tulum is over a 1000 yrs old and set on the edge of a cliff overlooking the eastern coast. Very beautiful setting. Iguana's run about as if they own the place. If you like history you should like Tulum. On our excursion they dropped us off at the town pier and not back at the ship. We had only about an hour to walk the stores before grabbing a cab back to the ship.

I not familiar with the "jungle" as you referred to it. I've only seen sand and palm trees on Cozumel. But we've never taken a tour of the whole island. It's not that big and you could "tour" the whole thing in a day. Didn't see a "city" to speak of. We've just been on the main drag in town which is only about two miles from the pier or a $6 cab ride (for 4).

I'm not familiar with any horseback riding there but they probably have it. They do have a Segway tour which is alot fun, we did it in Nassau. And a canopy tour which I haven't done. Did I tell you about the snorkeling? LOL.

Enjoy your cruise and don't try to do too much. That makes a vacation too much like work. If you don't get to see everything you want, there's always the NEXT cruise.

Jimmers:)

Archived