Any news from Barbara and the Cat's Meow?

prc

• 2 weeks later...

NOTE FROM THE OWNERS OF CAT'S MEOW

Barb and Brian asked me to post the following quote about Cat's Meow because they feel there has been so much misinformation about their post-Dean plans.

". . .First Brian and I are alive although on the morning of the night of the hurricane even though we where on the out skirts of Chetumal we almost bought it. We are slowly forming what we will do next, the restaurant will be rebuilt the timing depends on when the rebuilding of the port is scheduled to be done. The industry outside the country says that the port will be rebuilt to take two ships by the fall of next year. The other birth or births will be early in the next year. Even though are business is not completely patrons from the port and we have been striving to bring in other business. Viability must still at this point be dependent on the port. We have had incredible support from outside the country and even in Chetumal to continue the business. Unfortunately we do not have enough money to sit and wait until this happens so we will have to do something else in the mean while. Any other information other than what is stated here is not valid or given with the knowledge or permission of Barb or Brian."

Barb and Brian asked me to post the following quote about Cat's Meow because they feel there has been so much misinformation about their post-Dean plans.

". . .First Brian and I are alive although on the morning of the night of the hurricane even though we where on the out skirts of Chetumal we almost bought it. We are slowly forming what we will do next, the restaurant will be rebuilt the timing depends on when the rebuilding of the port is scheduled to be done. The industry outside the country says that the port will be rebuilt to take two ships by the fall of next year. The other birth or births will be early in the next year. Even though are business is not completely patrons from the port and we have been striving to bring in other business. Viability must still at this point be dependent on the port. We have had incredible support from outside the country and even in Chetumal to continue the business. Unfortunately we do not have enough money to sit and wait until this happens so we will have to do something else in the mean while. Any other information other than what is stated here is not valid or given with the knowledge or permission of Barb or Brian."

I had noticed that there were a few ships scheduled From October 2008 and on ... despite the letter I had received from Carnival stating that It would be until the summer of 2009.

I hope that it gets as you are stating .

That would be super !!

That was one of my most favorite ports :)

• 5 months later...

Any current news about the Cats Meow? We have great memories from there and want to go back as soon as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Last I heard, Barbara moved back to Canada. I don't expect Cat's Meow to reopen - at least not under Barbara.

Oh my, I hope that is not true. :( I so enjoyed my afternoon there with folks from the ship.:)

Well, at least I have a T-Shirt.

Does anyone know what part of Canada Barbara was from and is anyone in contact at all. Even better would be a last name.:)

Let's keep this thread alive so maybe someone can post if they've heard from Barbara recently......

I just posted today that I hoped to eat at Cat's Meow again in January - so sorry to hear that she's possibly moved back to Canada!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I posted on the post that says "short excursion on your own"

I had news from a tour operator there that tells me that Barbara did not stay in Mahahual. She didn't know where she went, but they did not rebuild. She gave a nice link that shows what is in Costa Maya now. They are anxiously awaiting for us tourists to come!

I forgot to mention the celebration that Costa Maya is planning to commemerate Dean.

She writes...

"HI there...don't know if I told you or not, we are planning a Mayan Ceremony in conmemorance of Dean, starting on the 22nd of Aug/23/24, and it will consist of a procession down the beach from the lighthouse to the end, both on Land and by foot. everyone will be dressed in white and we will have the boats carry the flower offerings to the Maya God, we are also going to have regular pastors/priest and 2 Mayan priest... everyone is invited... I will pass on the name....

but what I wanted to ask you is if you would please. ask everyone who might have visited Mahahual. and Chakchoben to please send pictures prior to DEAN.. That would be so very much appriciated. we want to have a mural of pictures of what our beatiful village used to look, now it is more modern and not the way it used to be..... so please help us out...

with lots of hugs from Maha..

julie"

I sent her a bunch of pics and links that were posted here just after DEAN that showed what it looked like before. I had pictures that I took, but not many and before digital cameras (OK, before I got one... we went in 2001)

Hi,

I posted on the post that says "short excursion on your own"

I had news from a tour operator there that tells me that Barbara did not stay in Mahahual. She didn't know where she went, but they did not rebuild. She gave a nice link that shows what is in Costa Maya now. They are anxiously awaiting for us tourists to come!

can you add the link???????????? i would love to see what it is looking like now

Does anyone know what part of Canada Barbara was from and is anyone in contact at all. Even better would be a last name.:)

I think Barb lives in British Columbia, but I'm not sure. You might try writing her at this address:

catsmeowmahahual@yahoo.ca

Not sure if she still uses that address or not, since Dean.

Archived