Toddling on Cruises...

sas80

I am asking for your opinion....

Has anyone ever brought their toddler on a cruise and leashed them?

I am soooo okay with leashing my child, especially if he is going to want to walk.

Of course we would pick him up if we were to walk into a busy part of the ship.

Has anyone ever seen a child leashed on a cruise? If so, what are your thoughts?

I haven't seen them used. I have the harnesses for my twins (though I haven't used them yet). I can't really think of when it would be useful on a ship since the decks are enclosed. I would think it would be more of a hinderance with the other passengers. It could be helpful in the ports though.

Best,

Mia

I haven't seen them used. I have the harnesses for my twins (though I haven't used them yet). I can't really think of when it would be useful on a ship since the decks are enclosed. I would think it would be more of a hinderance with the other passengers. It could be helpful in the ports though.

Best' date='

Mia[/quote']

We are going to be all the way aft - so we have a bit of a walk to the elevators. DS already wanted to crawl the distance last time we were on board....

I have traveled with a toddler on a ship and it is alot of work.

I don't think a leash is the best answer in a confined area like a ship. I think it might be more dangerous for other passengers.

When my son was thirteen months old I brought along an umbrella stroller. This works well in the hallways and elevators. He was happy in the stroller for the most part. He loved climbing the metal stairs outside and I just followed him up the stairs and made sure he didn't fall. I took him to the empty theater during the day and let him run around. Many of the lounges were good places to play and we did happy hour in one of the quiet bar lounges- where the bored crew were more than happy to follow him around and play with him.

Personally, I think that leashes are dangerous for all involved.

Nope, I don't have one. I don't have a problem with them. I just haven't bought one.

Have you seen these backpack harnesses that look like monkies/puppies

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4532497

Actually when my 3 year old gets in the cabin hallway it's the only place I let her run...lol. I figured I can see her cause it's a straight shot. ;) And it's a great energy releaser...lol.

Any other time, she is in the umbrella stroller.

Nope, I don't have one. I don't have a problem with them. I just haven't bought one.

Have you seen these backpack harnesses that look like monkies/puppies

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4532497

Actually when my 3 year old gets in the cabin hallway it's the only place I let her run...lol. I figured I can see her cause it's a straight shot. ;) And it's a great energy releaser...lol.

Any other time, she is in the umbrella stroller.

Adorable!

Although I didn't want to post again on the family board I just have to. I have the monkey and I plan on using it on the ship. Although, I don't plan on keeping it on him all the time it didn't get in the way at Disney World nor did it cause a danger so I can't see it causing a danger on the ship.

Don't let the cruise be the first time you use it. I use mine all the time and my son loves it. He knows when I pull it out it means he is going to get to walk and he loves walking. (I've used it since he started walking.) Sometimes I will wrap the tail around the monkey and not hold it if I don't have to but it's there for me to grab. Wouldn't do it if we were in the theater and I was letting him run around of course.

Unfortunetly, My son would make a B-line for those stairs turn around look at DH and I smile and then fall down those stairs so there is just no way I can chance letting him run down the hall unless one of us walked ahead and then let him catch up.

BTW most people who would give funky stares to the harness seem to like the animal backpacks (and actually tell me that they don't like leashes but they like that monkey) and I chose the monkey because it's the darkest color and therefor I hope shows dirt less.

I took my son on his first cruise at 18months and yes I used the “Monkey Leash” plus the umbrella stroller (and still do at 3) and it all worked great! I am not sure how it could be dangerous for other passengers on the ship all I know is that it as worked great for me on the last 4 cruises with him.

We are going on another cruise this weekend and as long as I don’t forget to pack it I will be taking it with me. (Plus my umbrella stroller which has seen better days)

I also let my son run up and down the hallway to get out that energy – I do tell him to be very quite... J

I assumed that the danger the poster was referring to was allowing DS to be on monkey leash in (within) crowds. I can see how things might get tangled up and people might get hurt.

I would always pick DS up if we were walking in the midst of a crowd. Logistically, it doesnt seem practical to have DS on a leash at that point.

I have the monkey leash. It was unbelievably helpful as I was alone and really need at least 3 hands (maybe 4). I used it in the airport during the height of summer travel season. I used it all over Washington DC, Baltimore and Virginia--again, height of summer travel. NO problems.

It was very crowded almost everywhere we went esp. the Mall. I really don't see the danger for him or other people. And, as the the leash doesn't let him get very far from me, it's not like he's far out all alone--maybe two or three quick or longish strides (depending on the length of your stride). You do have to move a bit more quickly than with a stroller b/c you have to keep up with the little monkey--and mine moves FAST--otherwise they get frustrated by being held back by the leash when they want to gooooo! But it was worth it as he would get to run around (and then momma would have a nice sleepy monkey while she enjoyed a leisurely dinner!)

I used the monkey leash on my 18 mo old and it was great. Of course, when traffic was "really" high it was best to carry her, but most times I let her walk. People thought that the leash was very cute. No negatives coming from me. It was great while we looked through pictures at the gallary. She would just stand beside me and I could use both hands to look for pictures.

There was a toddler a few cabins down on our last cruise. As soon as the cabin door would open, he would take off down the hall - fast! They had a wrist strap for him (which I really think could cause an injury to the child if he jerked his arm quickly) that they would then put on. I think the harness would be safer.

For what it's worth - I was a "wanderer" as a toddler and had a leather harness and leash after wandering off at an amusement park once. This was 60 years ago and I somehow managed to grow up unscathed.

Why????? What did I miss? We certainly don't wanna run anyone off around here? :D
Michele you didn't run me out of here and the original post where I said that as well as part of that conversation was rightfully deleted because it was getting very heated.

As for the leash one thing I notice is that most of us who have used it or want to use it have boys. Not all but most. (dnj1 used it with her daughter) Just an observation. When using the leash, and it seems that all of us who bought it have the monkey:D, you don't have to keep it all the way extended. When in crowds I wrap it around my hand a few times so that he stays by my side. He thinks he as a little bit of freedom but he really doesn't and my back and shoulders aren't in pain. And yes he could go in the stroller but as the previous poster said when he walks he tires himself out and that can be a good thing. :) Also, since my son is chunky, darn genetics (something my husband and I work hard to fight against), the doctor wants him to walk as much as possible. I actually follow a feeding protocol (not a diet) to try and keep his weight under control and have since he started on solid food (see what good that did) and he's still chunky. :p

Anyway I'd say if your toddler is happier toddleling go for the (animal) leash. If you aren't comfortable with that and they are happy sitting in a stroller then go for that and let them toddle when they are in an environment that you can watch them.

There was a toddler a few cabins down on our last cruise. As soon as the cabin door would open, he would take off down the hall - fast! They had a wrist strap for him (which I really think could cause an injury to the child if he jerked his arm quickly) that they would then put on. I think the harness would be safer.

For what it's worth - I was a "wanderer" as a toddler and had a leather harness and leash after wandering off at an amusement park once. This was 60 years ago and I somehow managed to grow up unscathed.

Yea, but 60 years ago, people were not snatching young children as much OR it wasnt being reported as much....

These days it just doesnt seem safe to let your child wander by himself in crowds.

My neice decided it was fun to play hide and seek at Nordstroms once....I lost sight and sound of her....she thought it was funny, all I could think was "PANIC! What if she hides far enough away that someone could snatch her and get out without me knowing!" She needed a leash!

Our DS is already angling to get down when we are holding him, and he doesn't even walk yet...he just wants to check things out!

We have two 4 yr olds, The boy has the monkey and the girl the dog harness. They both give them some extra freedom over hand holding plus you can "pull" them in close by when others are in the area. They remain safe yet feel independant. We used the umbrellas at 2 and 3, even 3 1/2 on ship/in port but this time I think they will be too big for them so we are only bringing the harness for each. If others want to say something, by all means, go ahead. I want them safe. There is a lot of running room at home where they are free to play. A ship and the islands are not the places for even just a second of risk for either of them slipping out of my hand and zipping around a corner out of sight.

Yea, but 60 years ago, people were not snatching young children as much OR it wasnt being reported as much....

These days it just doesnt seem safe to let your child wander by himself in crowds.

My neice decided it was fun to play hide and seek at Nordstroms once....I lost sight and sound of her....she thought it was funny, all I could think was "PANIC! What if she hides far enough away that someone could snatch her and get out without me knowing!" She needed a leash!

Our DS is already angling to get down when we are holding him, and he doesn't even walk yet...he just wants to check things out!

Not to butt in... but I think you misunderstood the original post you quoted... she said that her parents USED a harness and she grew up unscathed. :) I don't think she was questioning the use of one at all!

In anycase, we have the puppy leash and I have used it all over the world during travel. We have used it in airports, museums, cities -- and it has worked wonderfully. I will probably take it on the cruise with us, too --- although DS has finally gotten to the point where he doesn't wander or run off anymore ... so we will have to see.

DSC04329.jpg

Not to butt in... but I think you misunderstood the original post you quoted... she said that her parents USED a harness and she grew up unscathed. :) I don't think she was questioning the use of one at all!

In anycase, we have the puppy leash and I have used it all over the world during travel. We have used it in airports, museums, cities -- and it has worked wonderfully. I will probably take it on the cruise with us, too --- although DS has finally gotten to the point where he doesn't wander or run off anymore ... so we will have to see.

DSC04329.jpg

TOO CUTE!!!!!!!!

I have them for our twin boys for when we cruise next month. I think it just depends on the nature of the child. If the child is very adventurous and like to explore and would be happier than confined in a stroller then why not. If your child has a fit and will not move an inch while in a harness than it's more trouble than it's worth and the child is probably better off in a stroller. So I say just depends. Personally I have twin boys and I don't know how I would be able to go on park outings without it. (they cetainly want to walk around) And as one poster was saying it allows them to get exercise and you can still manage their safety. Most people when they see it and see that the boys are getting along great with it, they are encouraging.

My bad, missed the "used the harness" part. thanks for pointing that out! :)

Archived