beach resorts - mazatlan

ehogan

We are going on the Pride in January and I would like to know if there are beach resorts in Mazatlan that allow cruise ship passengers to use there facilities.

What do they charge?

How far are they located from the ship - ideally we would like to walk there.

Thanks so much.

Mazatlan is the perfect port for this sort of thing. You have a couple of options:

1) When you get off the ship, there will be stands/kiosks with *tons* of time share representatives from the various beach resorts. They will lure you over and offer you a free all-inclusive (food, drink, and facilities) day pass in exchange for you listening to their time share schpiel, as well as free round-trip taxi. We actually did this with the Inn at Mazatlan. The time share reps were very nice, and they put us all in a taxi headed to the resort with bottled water in hand. The resort itself was very beautiful and luxurious. When we got there, we were instructed to wait for our tour. We were more than willing to do so, then we saw another person from our ship who had just finished their tour. They said it was soooo high-pressure and the person wouldn't take no for an answer. So, based on that, we politely thanked the Inn at Mazatlan people, offered to pay them for the cab fare (they wouldn't take it), and walked down the road...which leads me to your second option:

2) Just about a block or two away is the El Cid resort. We walked in and the lady at the security desk asked if we had a pass, and we said no, we just wanted to use the beach and have a meal in the restaurants. She said no problem and let us in. When we got to the lobby, another lady offered to give us the time share tour in exchange for an all-inclusive pass. We declined, and she was very nice about it and showed us where to go for restaurants, beach, etc. We found a beach palapa (no charge) and chairs and staked out our spot. The water was great, and when we were hungry, we went to their open-air beachfront restaurant, La Concha. Probably the best authentic Mexican food (and atmosphere) I've ever had. 2 of us ate there for $13 US total, including tip. We each had a meal (tacos and fajitas, I think), a frozen drink, and bottled water. It was excellent. We also met another cruise passenger on the beach who had done the time-share tour and said it was quick and low-hassle, so perhaps it might be worth it there.

Another tip:

In order to take the time share tour at any resort in Mazatlan, if you are married, your spouse must also be present. (For some reason, there is a law or rule that states in order to buy a timeshare, both spouses must be there.) If you want to avoid the timeshare tour but still get in on the "goodies", simply state that your husband/wife is not present, but that you would still like to visit their resort and see what they have to offer. The second time we headed out to the beach that day, the El Cid reps gave us an armband good for free admission and drinks since we couldn't participate in the tour.

Enjoy, Mazatlan is great!

Oh, and P.S., none of the resorts are within walking distance. You should take a cab to the "Golden Zone." If I remember correctly, it was about $10/cab one way. It depends on the cab how many people fit - the first time, we had a Suburban with 5-6 of us plus the driver. The second time, we had a "pulmonia" (open-air golf cart-like cab) that only fit 3 plus the driver.

Some ship have tours to the Playa Mazatlan, which is without a doubt the best hotel in Mazatlan. The tours include lunch and use of the beach. And I have seen people from the ships use the beach in front of the hotel, without a tour.

we went on the el cid tour it was not high pressure, lasted about 45 min. then we used their pools, beach areas with free bugie boards. had free lunch which was very good and free drinks all afternoon. also round trip taxie ride.

We just got off the Pride last week. It was my grown daughters and myself. We decided to take a ship guided tour since my oldest is a little frightened by things. We did the shopping beach and lunch. They took us to Playa Mazatlan. We were transported in pulmerias--open air taxis, to shopping in the Golden zone. Dropped off at a shopping area then went in to see a show--Indians a top an 80 ft pole--you had to see it to understand then they gave directions to the Playa and told us to shop until we were tired then between 12-2 we would have a Mexican buffet(included) at the resort. We followed their instructions and walked 2 blocks to the resort after shopping checked in there--they gave us towels we rented a locker for 5.00 and proceeded to the buffet--overlooking the ocean. The food was great. We had 2 free margaritas (came with the tour) played in the ocean (watch the vendors-- they can be gotten rid of with nada or no thank you. We swam in one of the two pools and had a great time. When it was time to go back to the ship we went to the front of the hotel and the tour guide got another pulmeria for us and we went back. We loved this tour as it was inexpensive--I think 49.00pp and you were on your own but always knew a guide would be nearby if you needed them. Several from the ship went to El Sid and hated it. A few got conned into going to El Sid then they transported them to a new place in the middle of construction.

Poncho's also an open air restrauant on the beach in the Golden Zone had fantastic food. They served chips with fresh salsa made at our table and fried peppers stuffed with fish while we looked at the menu. Great drinks as well and prices, well lets just say you will never eat for this price in the states. Short walk up the beach and they offer parasailing from the beach two steps and your up in the air, was the most amazing thing I have done on a cruise $30.00, continued walking up the beach and tons of chairs and umbrella's that we could use as long as we bought a drink - no problem:rolleyes: We can't wait to do this cruise again.

we went on the el cid tour it was not high pressure, lasted about 45 min. then we used their pools, beach areas with free bugie boards. had free lunch which was very good and free drinks all afternoon. also round trip taxie ride.

We did this also. It was not high pressure. It lasted 45 - 60 minutes. The lunch was excellent. For us it was worth it.

Archived