Pet Peeves

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

What announcements? I never ever noticed them....but I am good at tuning out static.

Pet Peeve - electronic poker table...much prefer a real dealer.

....and debarking....not the process....just having to leave.

My number one pet peeve is rudeness to the disabled. Now I fully understand that a lot of disabled are horribly rude themselves. But I frequently cruise with my Dad, retired on disability in his mid-50s. He uses an electric scooter, but tries to walk with a cane as much as possible. He goes way out of his way to avoid impacting others, and most people are nice, but some are just appalling. Examples from the Glory last week:

We sat down at a Lido deck table that hadn't been cleaned (there were no other tables available). Never even noticed the disposable camera on one edge of the table within the mess. Some guy at another table no less starting screaming that the people from that table were coming back, and how stupid and rude we were for not noticing that the table was saved with the disposable camera! Fine, no problem, we got up and took our full trays and Dad's cane and joined others at their table. I watched the original table, and an hour later a single woman finally returned.

Also on Lido...Dad had his scooter. We each got a cup of coffee and went outside, ended up at another dirty table. I left Dad with the coffees and went to get a plate of food (he'd already eaten). I came back to find that drama had transpired. Some guy had come back to the table claiming that he'd saved it with, get this, an empty water glass! The guy yelled and Dad picked up both cups of coffee, leaving himself without a hand to operate his scooter. So he sat helpless in the middle of the aisle until a woman from the next table told the other guy to get lost.

In the atrium elevator... sorry people, but you will sooner or later have to share your elevator with a scooter. If we waited for an empty elevator, we'd reach debarkation without ever making it to our cabin! Three women in the glass elevator when we enter. Dad's an expert driver, so we slip in with his scooter completely against the left wall. Plenty of room to walk around it. The first woman starts screaming at him to stop when he's still several inches away from her. He proceeds just far enough to let the door close, still leaving several inches. She huffs off around the scooter and into the other wall. The elevator stops at their floor. One of the others starts running her mouth about how she can't possibly get around "that awful thing!" and glares at Dad like he's supposed to get out so she can walk unimpeded. I say "why not? Your friend did and you're half her size!" Meanwhile she's taken so long the doors close and she has to go two more floors with the horrible scooter.

It's all minor though. On a ship with 2500+ people, we only ran into a handful of rude ones. Not worth ruining our good time over.

The thing that drives me nuts are people with strollers who roll up and whack you on the back of your legs and/or heels and then act as though you are at fault for being in front of them.

This peeve isn't exclusive to crusing by any means.

OK, after reading all 7 pages, I'm cranky this morning.....

In the atrium elevator... sorry people, but you will sooner or later have to share your elevator with a scooter. If we waited for an empty elevator, we'd reach debarkation without ever making it to our cabin! Three women in the glass elevator when we enter. .

I feel the opposite. I travel with disabled people and have waitd elevator after elevator, they move slow and twice in a row a empty elevator arrived and someone on a scooter arrived and yelled scooter coming thru and of course no one wants to be run over so they stepped aside.

People on scooters should wait their turn. They seem to feel no one else is disabled or they are special because they are on a scooter. Iv waited over 20 minutes more than once due to the rudeness of scooter folks who think they have the right not to wait until people who arrived first get on a elevator.

OK, OK.. While the posts here have mostly all made sense, and they are good ones too.. I have to stick up for the singing and dancing during the dinner... Well I could do without the dancing part however I must stick up for some of the singing.. Our waiter on the Triumph was a great singer.. Little guy, (Can't remember his name) nice as could be and a voice to die for.. Great tone, nice and clear and perfectly on pitch...

Of course there are the usual complaints or "pet peeves".. Chair hogs, the constant announcements, and then the announcements that you can't hear, (While disembarking) just because the person giving them is a little mousy thing with NO VOICE!! The biggest complaint I have is that they make me get off the boat after 7 days of fun.. I get home and there is no mints on my pillow, the bed is not turned down. (Or made for that matter) I have to get my own stuff.. Gee....

One for the Gipper. Not really a problem but I often wonder who the guy gal or should I say moron is that doesn't know their own name.

You know!! the person that is paged from 7am until until well after 8am and keeps us from disembarking the ship on the last day of our cruise.

I really think that for having 2500 or so people in such a small space they do an excellent job. The only thing I would like to see, not really a peeve, is a slightly expanded room service menu. Maybe more sandwiches? A couple hot items? Overall, I'm thrilled. And I'm guilty, I like the announcements and singing and dancing in the dining room! :)

My only peeve is the dirty smelly life jackets they expect you to wear for muster drill.

No..... I wouldn't worry about the dirt in a genuine emergency, and of course I realise the muster drills are very necessary.... but standing around wallowing in somebody else's dirt and sweat is very unpleasant!!:(

People who reserve seats in the lounge. Not just the one or two seats that you know will show up because the people are in the bathroom or something, but the people who save an entire row for others that you don't know will show up. I actually sat in some seats people were saving. You should have seen the looks we got. And, guess what? Nobody showed up for those seats they were saving!

90% of the children on our last cruise were very well behaved, and respectful to the others on the cruise. But, the other 10% drove me nuts. Some parents think that it is OK just to turn the kids loose on the ship. (I guess this % pretty much holds true of adults as well - must be the "10%" rule.

I was on a kid heavy cruise and the only ones that "bothered" me (it was more worried me) are those that were under 12 and were wondering the boat by themselves at all hours. None of them were bad, although there was a very entertaining fight between some tweens about a boy. They just were part of things alone that I didn't think they should be at. A prime example was a 7 year old at the Mardi Gras lounge hop party. She glommed onto DH and me, and we lost track of her. We could have taken her anywhere, and she would have gone. That scared me. I just don't think kids should be wondering a ship at that age unsupervised.

We just returned today from the Mexican Riviera on the Pride.

* I love the singing in the dinign room. These guys are not entertainers, they are waiters, and I think it's cute that they get up and sing. Last night they sang a goodbye song and I actually got tears in my eyes.

* I hate the brats on board, too. I have 2 kids (13 and 15) and ever since they were little they have always been well behaved. Why? Beacuse we TAUGHT them to act appropriately in restaurants, other people's homes, etc. The brats are brats because their parents don't tell them no.

* I hate the push to pay the maitre 'd a tip. This man came to our table the first night ONLY ... said "hi, my name is _____". There is NO WAY we are tipping someone that didn't do anything for us. A bunch of BS. When I was growing up my mom took my sister and I on 3 cruises. I always remember the maitre 'd walking around EVERY NIGHT to greet everyone, ask how their day was. Thte last 3 cruises I've been on they don't !!!!!!!!!

* The night of the Gala Buffet we had an opportunity to walk thru for pics only. The people in front of me felt th eneed to pose with EVERY single carved watermelon, ice sculpture, and dessert. It's like "enough already ... it's not that big of a deal. Take a picture and move on".

* I also don't agree with the inflated excursion prices. We did the Canopy Adventure in Puerto Vallarta. WE paid $130 a person or somehting like that ..... but the actual price of the excursion was $80. $50 inflation per person? That's ridiculous.

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of the dancing and singing during dinner. Not because we were all dressed up, but just because it's pretty silly and seems to be a waste of time.

I'm exploring the possibility of taking a Carnival cruise. Do they do this dancing every night? or just once a cruise?

Mine has to be people who come on CC ask for opinions and when the answer doesn't match their beliefs immediately cry that they are being "bashed" and "flamed."

If you have to ask a question and include phrases like "I am not being cheap" or "don't flame me" then you have a pretty good idea that what your posting is going to create a stir. I believe that people that post questions that are known to cause heated debates really want to find that one poster who can ease their conscience by saying " I agree with you."

If you don't want to tip then don't tip, coming to a public forum to try and justify why you shouldn't have to tip is pointless. Nothing we can say or do is going to make you decide to tip. If you want to share one soda card between five siblings by all means do it but don't expect to get all "way to go" replies when you ask if it's ok. I believe the ones who boast about not paying their tips create reasons why they don't merely because it makes them feel less guilty. We all have choices in life and when you choose to cruise if you read the disclosures you will have no surprises. If after reading you feel that the cruise line is nickel and dime you by all means pick another vacation.

For me I have found that life is way too short. I cruise because I like the value I get for the money, paying $70 per person isn't going to sink me and if it was then I wouldn't be cruising. I spend $10 a day easily between my AM coffee/paper/lunch/gum/etc and I am sure DH does too. I guess looking at all I get on my cruise makes me not balk one bit at auto-tips. If they never started auto tipping and my cruise fare for this cruise was 920 for my balcony instead of 850 I would still go on the cruise. It all comes down to what the cruiser has control over and auto tipping is one of them.

Wow this thread is pretty old!

My biggest all time pet peeve is the people that take the elevator 1 or 2 decks!!:mad: I can not believe how lazy some people are! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. :p Some of you could use the walk trust me. ;)

Now about the whole "dud who makes $75K per year" being rude thing--is there a point to his income being $75K per year? Is that low? High? Does it matter what someone makes if they are being rude?? If he makes $5 mil a year then would it be OK? I am just wondering what the point of that statement is?

I am not a big fan of Carnival--gave it a try 3xs--just not my thing but, I do like the singing and dancing in the dining room. It is the "fun" ship afterall right?

Wow this thread is pretty old!

My biggest all time pet peeve is the people that take the elevator 1 or 2 decks!!:mad: I can not believe how lazy some people are! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. :p Some of you could use the walk trust me. ;)

Did it ever occur to you that although some people may look fine to you, they indeed have trouble navigating stairs? Welcome to my world of living with fibromyalgia and your judgemental and snippy comments are totally uncalled for! Ever hear of compassion??

almost everything that annoys me, I can take a deep breath and get through it because I AM ON VACATION :D

EXCEPT....

when people wear 10 gallons of perfume. You can't take the deep breath then. I don't care how good *you* think it smells, or how expensive it was or how lightly scented you think it is, or if you swear it was "just a dab" it is still an asthma trigger and a migraine trigger for many people. That's my only complaint. :rolleyes:

almost everything that annoys me, I can take a deep breath and get through it because I AM ON VACATION :D

EXCEPT....

when people wear 10 gallons of perfume. You can't take the deep breath then. I don't care how good *you* think it smells, or how expensive it was or how lightly scented you think it is, or if you swear it was "just a dab" it is still an asthma trigger and a migraine trigger for many people. That's my only complaint. :rolleyes:

To expand on yours, People that do the opposite ,and do not wear any deodorant. How is it that they cannot smell themselves ,besides you get it free alot of times in the bathroom freebie bowl.

I have to second the pet peeve about the pictures. I find it very annoying that most of the pictures are only available in 8x10. I would much rather get 5x7s.

This has got to be my biggest complaint as well. I really enjoy the pictures on the cruise but really how many 8 x 10's do I need on my walls or in a huge photo album. I'd buy several and more than make up for any lost money if they'd just allow us to buy the smaller ones without the 8x10's.

I'm exploring the possibility of taking a Carnival cruise. Do they do this dancing every night? or just once a cruise?

It's done every night. They alternate between singing and dancing each night. While I'm not a big fan of the whole thing it really doesn't bother me. The waiters that I"ve spoken to say they enjoy it and it gives them a few minutes to have fun. It's a short little song/dance and then back to business they go. The only time it was a grrrr for me was when our desserts had arrived but had not been served and my ice cream became soup.

On the other hand the incessant singing "Happy Birthday" or "Happy Anniversary" got a little old on our last cruise. Once it was sang to one table it seemed to follow with several others each night.

Archived