On The Caribbean Princess

Disneycruiser#1

It is me, we are on the hurricane cruise and just left Grand Cayman. They changed ports and we hit Montego Bay, GC today and Cozumel tomorrow and Princess Cays the first day.

They just made an announcement that they will be checking with the weather center tomorrow and making an announcement. There is quite a rumbling here on board with everyone wondering and worrying.

They are being very, very closed mouthed with what is going on, jsut stating over and over again we are clear of Frances.

Of course we have the internet and rumors are flying so anyone on the 9/4/04 sailing that has heard anything or just about the expected weather in FLL Saturday let us know.

We figure they will keep us out at sea, try and shoot the gap and get us in early thus leaving us without air and hotels or take us to a different port and arrange transportatiion.

Check in later and let us know what you are hearing stateside.

DC

I will check in later and let you all know what we here BUT we are not hearing much thus everyone checking the net......so if those of you here something about the port or sailing Saturday have Princess tell you something please tell us. We want to be safe and our homes and this ship but are worried they will off load us somewhere with no flights, hotels or a 12 plus our bus ride................thanks!

I don’t mean to sound callous, but one of the reasons that ships used to move out of the Caribbean during hurricane season – to Europe and Alaska – was because of hurricanes. Now there’s a ship load of people who are facing not being able to return to their home port due to a natural phenomina – and the cruise line has to handle the logistics of getting these people to their correct destinations.

I doubt that the cruise line will leave anyone without air or hotels – or at least assistance to ensure people get where they need to be. If I were on Caribbean Princess, I would relax and rely on Princess delivered information rather than rumor and innuendo from this board or the internet. The alternatives for the cruise line if they cannot get into port are to divert elsewhere or to wait at sea another day. Either way, the passengers are only being inconvenienced – they are safe and out of any immanent danger. Those in the direct path of the hurricane have different stories to tell.

It might be that Princess is withholding information until they get enough that they can communicate intelligently. No matter what happens, there are two certainties – first, the passengers can do nothing to change this situation and would probably come out relatively unscathed if they good naturedly went with whatever happens rather than fighting it. Second, no matter how heroic Princess is in this situation, this will be a PR nightmare for them.

Getting back to the first point I made, the cruise lines are taking a business risk running their ships in the Caribbean during hurricane season – and also offering lower fares – and sooner or later it was bound to catch up with them.

Again, the best thing for those on board Caribbean Princess to do is to relax.

If Princess brings the ship back early, I highly doubt that they would just drop you all off and strand you. I'm sure they will assist with hotel/air arrangements. The problem is a lot of airlines are shutting down flights to and from Florida this weekend. So it may be out of Princess' hands. I'm sure they will do the best they can.

Another thing; I doubt they are purposely withholding information from you. The course of the hurricane is unpredictable, and not even the airlines are making decisions yet. How can they give out viable information until they know the course the hurricane may take?

If I were you, I'd sit back and enjoy.

I don’t mean to sound callous, but one of the reasons that ships used to move out of the Caribbean during hurricane season – to Europe and Alaska – was because of hurricanes.

Again, the best thing for those on board Caribbean Princess to do is to relax.

For years the cruise lines have moved their ships to Europe and Alaska during the summer months... which basically end this weekend. They have always sailed the Caribbean during the 'peak' hurricane months of September, October, and November.

bdjam.....I do not think I have had the pleasure of posting with you before but goodness gracious I did not mean to sound rude or critize Princess! The internet has been down most of the day and at .35 cents per minute you just type fast.

1. I did not mean to imply or state in my haste we would be dumped off but they have over 3000 passengers on this cruise and a sold out cruise going out Saturday over Labor Day so yes this is a difficult situation. The situation with the weather, hotels and airlines is not within their control. I was a Flight Attendant straight out of college and know the routine and even though I have re-read my post I see I did type that but it was not meant to sound over the top but possible scenario's.

2. I know we are sailing in hurricane season so no one get up in arms over that one. I actually thought hearing from someone onboard and posting what we here may help those on the 9/4/04 sailing.........forgive me.

3. We all have gotten our information from the internet via friends, noaa etc. We are not upset just making arrangements for a late arrival home and securing our home in eastern NC should that be needed. There are many people that are upset but I was not one.

4. We are not scared, we are not feeling sorry for ourselves I only posted bc this forum has ALWAYS been so helpful.

I am sorry I posted but there is no reason to be rude or talk down to me. We are having a great time and the mood is pretty good and everyone is making the best of it. The ship is great, everything is top knotch.

I did not say anything against the cruiseline only that they have not shared any info until many people were demanding it. Of course they can not predict the weather nor have a crystal ball and we were told they were waiting to

hear tomorrow's weather and from corporate in CA.

Sorry I took your time. For those of you sailing 9/4/04 you may hear something before us and I pray we get back and you get on. If it is ok I will post what we hear when we do.

This has not ruined our cruise, the ship is wonderful, crew great and everything very, very special.

I thought a post would maybe get us some info from those of you stateside to give us a heads up before tomorrow evening did not mean to PO anyone off.

For years the cruise lines have moved their ships to Europe and Alaska during the summer months... which basically end this weekend.
I think the Alaska/Europe season goes a little longer than that and by the time ships are repositioned they get to the Caribbean early to mid-October. My impression was that hurricane season went from July through October – pardon me if I was misinformed.
I am sorry I posted but there is no reason to be rude or talk down to me. We are having a great time and the mood is pretty good and everyone is making the best of it. The ship is great, everything is top knotch.

I did not say anything against the cruiseline only that they have not shared any info until many people were demanding it. Of course they can not predict the weather nor have a crystal ball and we were told they were waiting to

hear tomorrow's weather and from corporate in CA.

Sorry I took your time. For those of you sailing 9/4/04 you may hear something before us and I pray we get back and you get on. If it is ok I will post what we hear when we do.

This has not ruined our cruise, the ship is wonderful, crew great and everything very, very special.

I thought a post would maybe get us some info from those of you stateside to give us a heads up before tomorrow evening did not mean to PO anyone off.

And I’m sorry if you felt I was talking down or being rude to you. I was trying to give an objective answer to your post - the cruise line is not going to strand you and they are going to give you the best information they can as soon as they feel it appropriate. Passengers have to trust this at some point.

Unfortunately I can’t edit my original post. If I could I’d delete it and offer some sympathy instead. Sorry that my attempt was to post something not filled with the emotion of the moment. You didn't "PO" me - I was trying to help you by suggesting that you carefully weigh what is posted on this board for facts - I guess I didn't make myself clear.

Sometimes I wonder why I keep at it. :rolleyes:

thanks for the info........we wish u safe trip home........we are scheduled to get on saturday but that is not looking too good at the moment............no one knows just where she is going to hit.........u are in good hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disney,

It is good to hear from you and it is very interesting to see what is happening on board. I have been reading posts all day and there isn't any information (that I have found) yet from Princess. So it is nice to know that we have someone on board that may hear things prior to the folks that are on the 9/4 sailing.

I feel so badly for everyone that is leaving on Saturday. They are not sure yet what exactly they need to do and that would be so upsetting.

I realize that this is a cruise board and as I mentioned, I feel badly for the folks on this Saturday's cruise. But I was talking to my Dad earlier and he helped me put this in perspective.........the real possible victims in all this are the people who may lose their homes and whose lives are in danger. My thoughts and prayers are for everyone in Florida. I live in California so I know how to deal with earthquakes -- I can not imagine how hard this must be waiting to see what Frances will do.

So I hope it works out for everyone -- that the storm somehow makes a turn northeast and that everyone is safe and the cruises sail as planned.

Spingal

While I can not imagine what it must be like to be cruising or about to cruise the Caribbean with any cruise line right today I have no difficulty at all imagining that Princess will come through in this crisis.

Steve's recently reported and well read incident on the Diamond earlier this year is one good example of how unforseen problems can be handled well.

D-cruiser- hang on to that good attitude, it will serve you well!

Disney,

I am hope you are having a great cruise. Thanks for letting us know how your cruise is going. I am one of those that is suppose to board Sept 4th On the Caribbean Princess, along with my entire family. If I do get to board on Saturday, I will consider myself a lucky woman because we will be out of danger and please leave the bars open for me! Because I am going to need it.

Be Safe,

Susan

Fear not!!! I believe Princess will take care of you! I was on the Golden a few years ago and it was delayed getting to NYC due to Hurricane Gustav. They took care of everything -- got hotel rooms and re-did the flights for the next day. I was so impressed with how smoothly they handled it. All the info was delivered to the cabins. All they asked is that we drop off our unused air tickets. Admittedly, I don't know if they just did this for those of us that got the air thru Princess or everyone, but still there were masses of people being directed to various airport hotels that day. I know you are concerned. I hope things turn out for you as well as they did for our group.

I just hung up with Princess and the ports are closed, but no official announcement has been made about what you're doing. (I called because my best friends Patty and John are on board with you!) They have called for the evacuation of 1 million people here in Florida. The east coast is bracing for a horrific hurricane to blow through which is HUGE and moving slowly. They are closing for up to 20 inches of rain, large battering sea swells and very large storm surges. The projected path as of 2 pm today is the eye of the hurricane hitting Florida in Jupiter. I'm in Naples, in the southwest and they are calling for a dramatic amount of rain fall here as well as hurricane force winds.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and I guess when they know they'll tell you.

Dis - looks like they are going to be planning to bring you in on Sunday morning. The harbor master's report at Port Everglades shows the Caribbean Princess coming in at 5 a.m. on Sunday. Of course, everything will depend upon which way Frances decides to go between now and then, but that's the best info we have so far. Please keep us posted if you do hear something from the ship! We really do want to know what you're being told on board and appreciate you taking the time from your cruise to keep us up to date. Enjoy your extra day (or so) at sea!

TinaLee

I was just reading the update on the Princess website. If I knew how to port the link I would. Basically, it says that the Caribbean Princess will return on Sunday. You are getting an extended stay in Cozumel until noon on Friday and then they leave to avoid the weather. They say that they are rebooking air for everyone that booked air through them and have contacted the TAs for anyone that booked independantly. They also say that they are offering free interenet and phone usage for the passengers to call family members and to help them rearrange flights for the people that did not use a TA.

They also indicated that the next cruise will take off on Sunday and will cruise one day short and will go the Western route.

Hope I did not misquote and that everyone arrives safely.

Enjoy your extra day.

Becky

September 2, 2004 Princess Cruises is closely monitoring the current and projected path of Hurricane Frances in order to ensure the safety and comfort of our passengers and crew, which is always our foremost priority. To steer clear of the storm, and because of the temporary closing of Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, we have altered two itineraries of Caribbean Princess.

Caribbean Princess Voyage 0436: Originally scheduled to return Saturday, September 4

• Because Port Everglades will be closed on Saturday, September 4, the return of Caribbean Princess from its current sailing will be delayed until Sunday, September 5 at 7 am.
  • An extended call is being made in Cozumel on Friday, September 3. The ship will depart at 12 noon and will proceed directly to Fort Lauderdale, to avoid the path of the storm.
  • Princess is currently re-booking air flights for those passengers who made their air arrangements through Princess. These new flights will be communicated to passengers onboard, once they are confirmed.
  • Princess is currently advising all travel agents with passengers booked of the itinerary change, and advising them to re-schedule the air flights for those passengers who have made independent flight arrangements.
  • Passengers onboard Caribbean Princess will be able to use the internet and phone services, on a complimentary basis, to make alternate travel arrangements and to advise family members, as needed.

Caribbean Princess Voyage 0437: Originally scheduled to depart Saturday, September 4

• Because of the delay returning to Port Everglades, this cruise will now depart on Sunday, September 5 at 10 pm.
  • The ship's itinerary has been changed to a Western Caribbean route to provide passengers with the optimum port experience. Unfortunately, Caribbean Princess' delayed departure will not allow the ship to make its original calls, and we regret any disappointment this may cause. The new ports will be Grand Cayman, Costa Maya and Cozumel.
  • Passengers and their travel agents are currently being contacted to advise them of this change, and are being advised to make alternative travel arrangements. Passengers who have booked their air through Princess will automatically be rescheduled on new flights arriving in Fort Lauderdale Sunday, September 5.
  • Because the cruise will be shortened by one day, passengers will receive a refund equivalent to one day's fare. Additionally, each passenger will receive an onboard cruise credit of $100.
  • Passengers will be responsible for the cost of their own incidentals relating to travel to the ship.
  • If passengers are unable to continue with their plans to sail on this voyage, Princess will offer a future cruise credit or a full refund.

We will continue to post any updates to this information on our web site, www.princess.com. We appreciate the understanding that these changes are being made for the well being of our passengers and crew.

spacer.gif

I agree with the previous poster - enjoy your cruise and proceed normally because there is nothing anyone can do about anything and there is no predicting what the flights will be at this point. Heck you dont know when and where you will dock. And you will almost certainly face inconvienence when you do arrive in terms of flights and so forth.

But you will be safe from a storm on the ship which is a lot more than thousands of other people who may loose their homes or even their lived.

I was in this situation in 1984 (Hurricane Klaus- windspeed of 80 knots) or so. It was the latest storm to hit that region (mid november). We missed ports, the porthole in our cabin was closed by the steward on account of the *bit of rough weather*. It looked like a front load washing machine with the foam. I was getting wet from the waves on the top deck of the QE2 and this is a ship that is built for the north sea. All but a handful pf people were violently ill. We missed ports.

We only found out what happened when we finally got to St Thomas.We had no TV, No newspapers, no phones no announcements no nothing.

But its a story you can tell to your grandchildren.

Archived