How much for a gondola ride?

One of the 2 days that out boat is docked in Venice I plan to take my wife on a gondola ride. How will I know if I"m getting ripped off? I've seen 1/2 hour and 1 hour prices. I'd probaly be leaning toward the longer ride. Can you share how long your gondola ride was and how much you spent? Will one guy's price be different then the guy offering gondola rides down the way? Are these rides worth the money? I'd like to go at night so do they charge more at night as opposed to during the day? Thanks.

One of the 2 days that out boat is docked in Venice I plan to take my wife on a gondola ride. How will I know if I"m getting ripped off? I've seen 1/2 hour and 1 hour prices. I'd probaly be leaning toward the longer ride. Can you share how long your gondola ride was and how much you spent? Will one guy's price be different then the guy offering gondola rides down the way? Are these rides worth the money? I'd like to go at night so do they charge more at night as opposed to during the day? Thanks.

We didn't actually take a gondola, but had heard that it's about 90 euros. That's what it cost us for a water taxi to the airport so we figured that was our "gondola"! Everything is very expensive in Europe because of the low value of the dollar these days.

Kelley

You can get a gondola anywhere- anytime. The going rate is approximately 100 Euros for about 45 minutes. They will do a shorter one for slightly less - 80 Euros for 30 minutes.

It is really something you have to do once. It is part of the experience. Make sure the Gondolier speaks English- otherwise it is pretty boring! A good gondolier will give you a guided tour.

That sounds really sweet. I actually think the location of the ride is more important than price or length of ride because I feel sorry for some tourists that I've seen being jostled about in the Grand Canal with all the boat traffic. See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=625816&highlight=gondola, post #11.

Have a great cruise,

Donna

We just arrived home from our cruise. We took a day-time gondola ride which was for about 35+ minutes on one of the side canals and it just goes out on the Grand Canal to turn around. It cost 80 euros and was well worth it. It was relaxing and very scenic. At St Marks Square on the Grand Canal they were charging 120 euros. I did not want to go on the Grand Canal because our hotel room was located on the Grand Canal and we saw a police boat racing down the canal at night with sirens blasting and I thought it was too scary. Hope this has been helpful.

Rather than pay just the $100 for the gondola ride, I found the Viator website, and they have a walking tour with a gondola ride for $56 pp

which is still the $102 for two of us, but we also have the walking tour with it.

Once you open the website, I think it's about the 5th or 6th tour down.

http://www.viator.com/Venice/d522-ttd

They have lots of other tours listed too.

We spent about 150 euros for the more expensive of a couple options given to us. It was a long ride, I think 45 minutes or more, left from a nice location along a canal in between St. Marks and the Grand Canal. Went along a nice winding path, including a short ways down the Grand Canal and by the Rialto bridge, and it was ended just as the sun was setting so it was at a perfect time of the day.

Perhaps a bit pricey, but very enjoyable and romantic - and something we'll remember forever.

How often in your life do you get to go on a Gondola ride in Venice?

Our gondolier pointed out a few things during our ride, including Marco Polo's house. A gentlemen on a balcony there that called down "..ahhh newlyweds!" and I shouted back: "no, we're celebrating 30 years" to which he replied, "Then you deserve a gondola ride!".

Don't you deserve one too?

You should not pay more than 90 Euros for a gondola and if they try to charge more money simply bargain or hire a different gondola. You might want to buy yourself a bottle of wine in Venice, have them pull the cork, and give you a few plastic cups (many Gondoleers have cups) and than enjoy some wine as you explore the canals.

Hank

I've never taken these tours - but I've been to Venice a few times, and what you described just seemed to good to be true. I don't know for sure, but the description indicates that you board a gondola to "cross" the grand canal. This may not be a gondola ride. There are numerous places to cross the grand canal in a gondola. They operate continuously. Last year it cost 1 E, I think, per person to cross. I made my mom do it - and it was so bouncy in the grand canal - she hated it. It lasted all of 4 minutes.

It sounds to me that is what they are providing in the tour you referenced... you just may want to touble check.

We've never paid more than 70 euro for a gondola ride. Don't take one of the gondolas you see by the Grand Canal. They will be the highest. There is actually a set price and the gondoliers on the Grand Canal will charge that amount. Once we paid 50 euro for one we caught by the Hotel Al Vagon. There is a gondola landing there. The last two times we were in Venice we were approached in the Rialto Market by a gondolier and we paid 70 euro each time. Your hotel can suggest a place to catch a gondola. That's how we found our first one for 50 euro. Gondola rides at night will be more expensive. But they are VERY romantic. I would definately take a bottle of wine to share during the ride. MOLTO Romantico.

I'll also add that we saw several gondolas that were apparently taking people on a group tour or excursion. These generally had 6 (maybe more) people in a gondola. This is pretty crowded for a gondola, and if you want something a little romantic you really can't take more than two, as the main seat (sort of a love-seat) just holds 2. We were traveling with another couple and decided we'd split up and take separate gondolas because of this.

This picture shows a gondola loaded with a bunch of people, likely on a group tour (click picture for larger image):

203444359-Th.jpg

This picture shows our friends getting into their Gondola - you can see the nice chair for two, and some smaller chairs that would be used if there were more than two in the gondola (click on picture for larger image and more pictures):

203445237-Th.jpg

This past June, during the height of the busy season, we paid about 100 Euros for 40 minutes. Could have had a fill hour for 120 Euros. We shared with the couple we were traveling with, and were very happy.

Actually, caught a bit of luck as towards the end of our ride, we passed by another gondola where they had purchased the music package – accordion player and a really good singer. I had the presence of mind to grab my camera and take a quick video clip, which we enjoy reviewing often.

I think this is one of those times you kind of throw frugality out the window (or in the canal) and “Go for it.” It will be a wonderful life long memory. Enjoy. :)

Remember that the price is per gondola, not per person. That would be why the tour companies want as many in the gondola as possible.

Also remember that the gondolas are expensive to purchase and maintain.

Paul S

I've never taken these tours - but I've been to Venice a few times, and what you described just seemed to good to be true. I don't know for sure, but the description indicates that you board a gondola to "cross" the grand canal. This may not be a gondola ride. There are numerous places to cross the grand canal in a gondola. They operate continuously. Last year it cost 1 E, I think, per person to cross. I made my mom do it - and it was so bouncy in the grand canal - she hated it. It lasted all of 4 minutes.

It sounds to me that is what they are providing in the tour you referenced... you just may want to touble check.

Nikki,

You may be right, it may actually be the Tronchetto that crosses the Grand Canal, but I don't think so, it says the gondola ride is a 35-40 minutes ride and that the gondola holds 6 people and is not a private ride, but we are two lady friends traveling together, so the lack of romance isn't an issue for us. Even if the gondola ride is a short one, at least we will have ridden in a gondola (that's the main thing to us). And as I stated before, the price also includes the walking tour as opposed to just the expensive gondola ride. Just wanted the OP to know there were other options out there.

Archived