Interview with Captain Rynd

Beyondships

I did a lengthy interview with Captain Rynd recently about QM2, QE2 and QV as well as his time with Princess. I have posted it at http://www.beyondships.com/QM2-Rynd-1.html with a few photos.

I hope you find it interesting.

Interesting indeed, and thank you so much for posting it so all could share. One of the disappointments of my upcoming Nov 10th cruise will be that Captain Rynd and his lovely wife will not be onboard. I thoroughly enjoyed the various opportunities I had to chat with them last year. He's a delightfully interesting man and very approachable. I'm sorry we won't get to say hello to him again this time. Maybe next one!!!

Thanks again for an insight into this very fine man.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Thank you for posting this interview.

One of the disappointments of my upcoming Nov 10th cruise will be that Captain Rynd and his lovely wife will not be onboard.

Penny, do you know who is Captain for the upcoming November-December QM2 sailings? Would it be Commodore Warner?

We are on the November 30 voyage, and have had the pleasure of sailing with then-Captain Warner, and former Commodore Warwick.

Thanks!

Alan

Thank you Beyondships. That was a really fascinating and rare insight. A wonderful and interersting interview.

Hi, Penny!

We also had the pleasure of meeting Captain Rynd as Master of the QM2 on our transatlantic crossing last year.

Looking forward to meeting you finally on the 10th!!

Thank you for posting this interview.

Penny, do you know who is Captain for the upcoming November-December QM2 sailings? Would it be Commodore Warner?

We are on the November 30 voyage, and have had the pleasure of sailing with then-Captain Warner, and former Commodore Warwick.

Thanks!

Alan

Hi Alan...according to what I've seen on the Cunard site it will be Commodore Warner. Do enjoy your cruise...maybe I'll have gotten off by then...assuming they find me! ;)

Cheers, Penny

Hi, Penny!

We also had the pleasure of meeting Captain Rynd as Master of the QM2 on our transatlantic crossing last year.

Looking forward to meeting you finally on the 10th!!

That would be a ditto...looking forward to meeting you then as well...not long now!!:D

Cheers, Penny

Hi Penny,

just got back from a refreshing little break. Not a cruise unfortunately - but quite refreshing nevertheless. Thought I'd stop by and say hello.

Jimmy

And extremely happy I am to see you...those "refreshing" little breaks aren't always what we expect are they!!:rolleyes: Now hike yourself to the review thread (the Autumn getaway) about the QE2 by my friend Pepperrn....you will love seeing QE2 thru his eyes. And for someone who loves QE2 the way you do, you'll truly enjoy his writing...and don't miss the link to his photos of her too...in his signature...excellent!

So then, don't be a stranger and take any more "refreshing" breaks, OK?

Cheers, Penny

Rich (if I may call you that),

We have used your web site BeYondShips.com since we first looked at "sailing" on the QM2. You present much information that we don't find anywhere else. I am now looking for a Cunard ship that we cruised on in 1993. She was named Crown Jewel, a small ship compared to today's ships. We left out of Ft. Lauderdale for a week in the Caribbean, and I have not heard of her since.

Please continue your clear and consise narratives. Your writing leaves the reader with no doubt that you have described or explained details as they really are. I direct many cruisers to your site. Thank you...Laura

I am now looking for a Cunard ship that we cruised on in 1993. She was named Crown Jewel, a small ship compared to today's ships. We left out of Ft. Lauderdale for a week in the Caribbean, and I have not heard of her since.

I beleive she is still, since 1995, the Superstar Gemini for Star Cruises out of Singapore and Malaysia.

http://www.maritimematters.com/superstargemini1.html

Thank you so much for the web site; I guess I would not recognize the Crown Jewel since she has been redesigned over the years. However, I think others in faraway places are enjoying the quality that we enjoyed many years ago.

That web site is awesome; I have spent too much time there today, but will use it often. I have been using the site to look at RCL's Norway....the old SS France now being scrapped. It, too, was a wonderful example of classic quality and was one of my favorites.

I am placing the link here for others' convenience:

http://www.maritimematters.com/superstargemini1.html

Thanks for posting the link. I have sailed with Captain Rynd on both the QE2 and QM2 and found him a thoroughly professional (extensive crew drills) and highly personable (on deck greeting the pax - including us nutters in the jacussi on the QE2 in January...) Captain - an asset to the Cunard fleet.

Laura,

Marc and I were on the Crown Jewel in both 94 and 95, I think it was. I have a few web sites bookmarked with other info. but the Maritime matters one is great/ Crown Jewel was our favorite.

We were on the ship when she was sold!

I'll try to find more. I should be in bed now!

Will write. remind me!

Karie

That was fascinating and a quality interview. I learned a lot. We have sailed with Captain Rynd several times on the Mary and his wife came to our CC meeting on a TA in June. She reads a lot of the posts on here and is a wonderful, down to earth person. Thanks for making that available.

Aloha, Patti

Archived