Inside Passage Map Site

TomAndJane

I know a lot of people want maps of the Inside passage. Well there is a way you can make your own if you want to take a little bit of time. The site is http://encarta.msn.com/map_701513339/Inside_Passage.html

You have to click on the interactive map to zoom in. Once you get to a point that you like the detail here is how you can make your own map (although it will be on numerous pages).

1. Highlight the map and copy it into a word document or something like that. There will be a lot of extra things copied as well so --

2. Click on the map in the word document then copy it.

3. Open up Power point or something like that and paste it in. Once it is pasted you can expand it to cover the entire page.

4. After that go back to the site and click North, North East, etc to follow the route you want the map to go to and follow 1 - 3 again.

Doing it this way will show you the Latitude and Longitude so when the Captain tells you where you are at you will know exactly where you are at. I did this and I have a total of 9 pages from Vancouver to Skagway that is very detailed. I figure I carry one or two pages with me a day and I will know what port we are passing, what passage we are entering etc.

In addition, you can get very detailed in certain areas if they are of interest to you. Hope this helps someone.

Tom

Thanks for the link, Tom. I've done just as you suggested. DH laughs at me...never without a map in my hand when we're on holidays. I never buy a map if I can print one off the internet. I go through miles of scotch tape taping all the pages together.:D

Lynn

Thanks for the link, Tom. I've done just as you suggested. DH laughs at me...never without a map in my hand when we're on holidays. I never buy a map if I can print one off the internet. I go through miles of scotch tape taping all the pages together.:D

Lynn

I just thought it was kind of neat that you could pick specific areas and get very detailed if you wanted to. I like knowing where I am at because a lot of the advice on these boards mention certain areas to look for whales,etc. With maps that are not detailed you really can't pin-point a certain area. Hope my directions made sense...

Tom

Lynn

P.S. I know exactly what you mean about the scotch tape...hahahahaha:) :)

Thanks for the web site.

The best map I've seen of Alaska Cruise routes is the huge, two-sided one that accompanies the book The Alaska Cruise Companion by Joe Upton. The book is sold on Princess ships for $20, but I bought mine used on Amazon. If you sail on a Princess ship, the daily Princess Patters will tell you the route being traveled that day, and it will give page numbers in the book as well as mile markers on the map. In my opinion it's a must-buy - especially for anyone cruising to Alaska on a Princess ship.

I just checked Amazon, and a new edition will be out Nov. 15th, called The Alaska Cruise Handbook: http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Mile-Guide/dp/0979491509/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-1289665-0895942?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193757235&sr=8-1

I just checked Amazon, and a new edition will be out Nov. 15th, called The Alaska Cruise Handbook: http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Mile-Guide/dp/0979491509/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-1289665-0895942?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193757235&sr=8-1

Nancy- Is this the same book at the Cruise Companion book they sell onboard just a different title?

Thanks!

UMTerp

Nancy- Is this the same book at the Cruise Companion book they sell onboard just a different title?

Thanks!

UMTerp

The book I have (2005 edition) is the Princess cruise edition. This new edition doesn't specifically say anything in the write-up about Princess, but I imagine this "illustrated book and map set" is very similar. I pre-ordered 3 copies (one for myself and my 2 travel companions), and saved an extra 5% because it's a pre-order. We'll be on a HAL cruise, so any info that's specific to Princess cruises and cruisetours won't be relevant for us.

The book I have (2005 edition) is the Princess cruise edition. This new edition doesn't specifically say anything in the write-up about Princess, but I imagine this "illustrated book and map set" is very similar. I pre-ordered 3 copies (one for myself and my 2 travel companions), and saved an extra 5% because it's a pre-order. We'll be on a HAL cruise, so any info that's specific to Princess cruises and cruisetours won't be relevant for us.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to put it on my Christmas list!

UMTerp

Archived