Late seating on Constellation, with kids, Feb 19 2005

hopefromboston

We will be sailing on Constellation on Feb vacation with our 9 and 11 year old children. Anyone Else with kids. Cant decide to book early or late seating. HAte to be rushed for early seating. Hate the kids to miss club activities because of late seating. We would prefer late seating but don't want to be stuck with adults with no kids. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have cruise several times and every cruise is different depending on time, tablemates and itinery.

This January will be our third time on Constellation. We love this ship! We've always taken the second seating for the same reasons that you've given.

Although we have not been on Constellation with our kids (They're all grown up now), I do remember that there definitely children at the second seating. As long as they are not infants, I don't think it will be any problem.

Your cruise will be around President's Week so there should be plenty of kids for your children to meet.

Take care, Scott

Check with the maitre 'D upon embarkation as to your table assignment and whether you will be seated with another family with children. If not, ask to be switched.

Ask the kids what time they'd like to eat - often it's best to stick to the time they would normally have dinner at home.

We were on the Constellation last year in December. For most of the ports we had to be back on board by 5 PM or earlier. Since we didn't want to risk missing the ship, that usually meant getting back on board by 4:30. I know they have changed the ports but if they aren't departing much later, it didn't seem like it would be much of a rush to get ready for early seating.

We did late seating because it matched our usual habits better. I would often skip lunch being out and about and then get something light at the AquaSpa, Cova or the sushi buffet when I got back on board. Late seating provided a nice interval to between the late afternoon snack/lunch and dinner. I like sushi and the early seating doesn't leave much opportunity to hit the sushi times.

It depends partly on your kids and what you are planning. Some kids wouldn't want to sit through the multi-course dinner every night anyway. If you did late seating, they could go with you some nights and some other times they could eat at the grill, the buffet, room service, etc early and go to the kid's program. Or it may be that with the kids along you will be sure to have lunch and early seating will be right for all of you.

I don't recall seeing many kids in the dining room at late seating on our cruise though I didn't do a survey. You may be more likely to get seated with other families at an early seating.

I don't remember seeing too many kids at the late seating last April and I think it was spring break on the east coast. We really enjoyed the late seating, but did not leave the dining room until about 10:30 or even 10:40 each night. That might be a consideration.

We have a 9 year old and decided after our last cruise that we would definitely switch to late seating next time. It's such a rush to get ready for early seating and I don't think the kids will miss out on any activities if they go to the Fun Factory before or during dinner. They can also have room service while you're getting ready for dinner and then they can go to the fun Factory during your dinner.

After our last cruise, we will probably never do early seating again, kids or no kids. Our kids have always been fine for late seating dinner, we always collapse and rest an hour or so after shore excursions. I think there is a problem only with the real young ones.

We will be sailing on Constellation on Feb vacation with our 9 and 11 year old children. Anyone Else with kids. Cant decide to book early or late seating. HAte to be rushed for early seating. Hate the kids to miss club activities because of late seating. We would prefer late seating but don't want to be stuck with adults with no kids. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have cruise several times and every cruise is different depending on time, tablemates and itinery.

last March on Mercury we sat late with our kids and grandson, who is 8. There were a number of kids onboard but I honestly do not recall seeing any at that late seating. Our grandson was pretty tired around 9 or so, however the waitstaff served him at a much quicker pace which was not a problem at all. He was usually finished with his dinner about when we were being served our main course. He would ask to be excused from the table and he would go back to their cabin and probably harass their butler (just kidding). The dinner partners we were seated with had no problem with Nick and actually missed him on the night he was so tired he stayed in the cabin. I would think this situation would also work for you, again, the wait staff had no problem serving him when they did and actually it was their suggestion.

Archived