?visit Haines when in Skagway

corniglia

We are to be in Skagway in September and have booked the half day trip to Haines. Please drop a note on your experience,if you choose this excursion, and let us know how it was. Thanks.

I did e.mail the local Haines visitors center and got back a nice reply. I am sure it is "Chamber of Commerce" stuff but they were prompt and willing to talk about their area and the sights.

We actually had Haines as one of our ports of call in 2002. There isn't a whole lot there. There were lots of excursions, and nice people, but as far as shopping or the sort, there was hardly anything. We thought Skagway was much better, and would have rather spent more time there. One woman's opinion.

7/02 NCL Wind - Alaska (honeymoon)
7/03 NCL Star -Hawaii (1st anniversary)
10/04 RCI Legend - Panama Canal (just because it's there)

We just returned from a May 28th cruise. Holland switched us from Skagway to Haines. There is not much in Haines. We spent most of the day onboard ship.

We walked into the Indian Arts & Crafts working museum at Fort Seward. The fort's homes are now B&B's or apartments. Lots of signposts to read as we walked around the Fort. Downtown is zero, plus I think there is a 9% duty on all purchases. We did enjoy the new Hammer Museum for $3.00 and the Sheldon Museum for $3.00. The town is quiet and simply an Alaskan town. Not touristy at all. Personally, I would have rather seen Skagway. Most of our tour, not to mention the other passengers, felt the same as I about Haines. A few did like the stop. The Ryndam was the only ship there. 5 or 6 were in Skagway that day.

[I]"...First-time cruiser .. ready to leave on May 28th. Thanks to all of you for all your help and advice!"[/I]

I actually love Haines. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] There is a small downtown area. Yeshua gives several excellent tours. Best tour here in my opinion is the river rafting tour with Eco Orca. Twice I have rented a car here. Late season- possible brown bears- not a given by no means however. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Archived