Sky Suite v CC

cruzadict

Well I have just booked for our Alaska cruise for April 2008 and managed to get an aft CC, cabin 9201 with an option to upgrade to a Sky Suite if we choose. Has anyone stayed in this cabin and would this be the best option for Alaska or would we be better with a Sky Suite.

Marilyn

I'll share my opinion. Since you mentioned 9201, I am assuming it is the Summit.

An aft cabin has several advantages in general and in Alaska in particular.

* The balcony is much larger

* It provides a view to both sides plus the rear

* It is sheltered from the wind when sailing and makes it more usable than one on the side ( a big plus early or late in the season)

* The location at the rear has less hall-way traffic

* The extra walk provides a little more exercise (people joke about it, but it's true)

There are a couple of points some people don't like.

* Some people complain about noise from the Seaview Cafe on deck 10. Our friends have said is was not an issue.

* The cabin itself is smaller than a Sky Suite and does not have a large a bathroom (or butler)

* The extra walk provides a little more exercise (people joke about it, but it's true).

Having listed all of those, I can say truthfully, that we would not take a sky suite even if it was $100 p/p less (actually did that). We really enjoy the balcony and you can use this one so much more than the one in almost any other cabin (especially if it is cool/cold).

I agree with all of Bob's (hi Bob!) observations regarding an aft CC cabin (especially on an Alaskan cruise).

I had one last year - the views from this vantage point are awesome. So, unless one of the sky suites on penthouse deck 6 becomes available (these balconies are a decent size, but still way smaller than the aft balcones), and I'm assuming that you are on one of the M-class ships, stick with the aft for Alaska - you won't regret it.

Well I have just booked for our Alaska cruise for April 2008 and managed to get an aft CC, cabin 9201 with an option to upgrade to a Sky Suite if we choose. Has anyone stayed in this cabin and would this be the best option for Alaska or would we be better with a Sky Suite.

Marilyn

I was exactly 2 cabins below you on our Alaskan cruise and I can tell you the aft was wonderful. If it is raining you can still walk out on the balcony and sit in a deck chair with a blanket, hot chocolate (room service) and read. when it is not raining its great!!! When you are sailing to the Glacier it is fantastic. I would pick an aft for an Alaskan cruise over a suite.

With that said one thing to think about. If you can move one cabin over you might want to sicne you are next to a family suite. On my cruise there was a family next door that was very noisy. (kids were running int he hall, slamming hteir cabin door and playing with there key card outside the door. Several times when I went out on the balcony for some solitude I had noisy kids on the deck next door playing. It doesn't mean your cabin neighbors will be like mine were but they might be and you should be prepared.

Thank you all for your replies. Forgot to say we will be on the Infinity. Unfortunately cabin 9201 was the only aft cabin available so I will be unable to move to the next cabin. I am just hoping that with it being late April/early May that there won't be too many kids on board. When are the school holidays in the US. Here in the UK the children don't start their hols until end of May. Does anyone know where the ship docks in San Francisco and Vancouver and is it far from the main town. Thanks

Hi, I also agree with everyone even though we have only been visitors to the cabins.

Ship dock (almost always) at pier 35 in San Francisco. This is a very, very short walk to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf which will be to the left (facing the ship).PS: San Francisco is the kind of city that doesn't have a "main" town area. You will be close enough for anything you may want. The mentioned areas are very large popular "tourist" spots. If you are thinking of something specific, ask. There are lots of posters here from the S.F. area.

Archived