Questions About The Catamaran Fan Ta Sea Tour?

SANDYJABS

Is the boat very crowded, how many people?

Do you get to see a lot of the Island or should we do a land tour? maybe both?

I also like the fact that this tour sails to Nevis.

Thanks

We highly recommend the Fan-Ta-Sea Cat excursion. We first did this excursion during our one day cruise stop in 2006. Did it again when we returned to St. Kitts for a one week land vacation this year. We have a few pics from both in our Webshots photos.

http://community.webshots.com/user/3dlefranc

The crew of the Irie Lime are wonderful. We have become good friends with of the the crew members who showed us a good time when we returned for our land vacation. Our daughter wants to go on another cruise early June and we're thinking of doing this excursion again.

Not sure what the numbers were on board but the boat never felt crowded. Great party atmosphere on the return trip from Nevis.

We did this excursion in January with Carnival. I don't remember the name of the catamaran. My BF and I felt that it was too crowded. Probably about 50 people were on board. It was very fun, but not a great way to see either island. It is more of a party boat/snorkel tour.

Is the boat very crowded, how many people?

Do you get to see a lot of the Island or should we do a land tour? maybe both?

I also like the fact that this tour sails to Nevis.

Thanks

We did the Fan Ta Sea in Jan of 07 with Celebrity Constillation. The Catermaran was very large and modern with a his and her bathrooms above deck. The Catermaran had alot of very nice space to enjoy.

We had a nice BBQ lunch on Nevis with time to explore the beach there.

The snorkling part was not very good so if this is your thing you may want to reconcider.

They served beer and punch rum on the way out and RUM PUNCH:eek: on the way back. So needless to say there was lots of dancing and fun on the way back.:D

Was worth the money.

Enjoy!

Scott

• 1 month later...

They have two different catamarans that are used, depending on the size of the group. We've done both - and while the smaller one was nicer we've had a fantastic time on both of them. We've done this in March of '04 and both Feb and March of this year (2007) and would do this trip in an instant if we returned to st. Kitts. I have some photos of all three trips on my photo site below.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can someone please please explain how lunch works? Is it provided by the catamaran service or are we dropped off at a bar/resturant to eat? Are beverages, both adult and non included while at the beach? Should we bring extra money for this trip?

Can someone please please explain how lunch works? Is it provided by the catamaran service or are we dropped off at a bar/resturant to eat? Are beverages, both adult and non included while at the beach? Should we bring extra money for this trip?

They go to a beach on Nevis. At the beach most of the crew gets off with you (you wade ashore in very shallow water) and brings along some beverage supplies. You'll go into a picnic grove where lunch will be all set up - or will be shortly after you arrive , and it is all included.

Here is my biggest advice - policy on the boat is bare feet only. When you get on they will let you put your shoes into a basket that they'll take on board but it is unavailable until the end. The sand on the beach is very hot and you'll want something on your feet. I suggest you wear some sort of flip flops and keep them with you in a beach bag, or take an extra pair of cheap flip flops in a beach bag. When you go to the beach you can take anything you'd like but may not be able to get on the boat during your stop (most of the time the boat leaves the shoreline to wait for the end of the beach break). You'll want to bring your beach towels and such with you as well.

You will only need money to tip the crew at the end if you choose, and you will likely want to. Now there is a bar a little ways down the beach and a few people decided to go hang out there rather than go the the supplied picnic grove. Not sure why, but they did. So if you think you might then bring along some money for that. Also if you want to shop at the shops near the pier bring money, you probably won't have time to go to the ship and back off and may not have time to shop at all.

Enjoy your great day on the excursion!

As far as the snorkeling goes, are there reefs and tropical fish to be seen? I have snorkeled at Chankanaab National Park in Cozumel. Is the snorkeling up to that level, in your opinion?

Frankly, our family doesn't care if we have the picnic or party atmosphere. We are looking for a great snorkeling excursion with beautiful reefs.

Also, if this isn't the ideal snorkel trip, can you recommend another for St. Kitts?

Thanks!

As far as the snorkeling goes, are there reefs and tropical fish to be seen? I have snorkeled at Chankanaab National Park in Cozumel. Is the snorkeling up to that level, in your opinion?

Frankly, our family doesn't care if we have the picnic or party atmosphere. We are looking for a great snorkeling excursion with beautiful reefs.

Also, if this isn't the ideal snorkel trip, can you recommend another for St. Kitts?

Thanks!

Here are two links to some snorkeling pictures we took when we did this trip twice last year:

It is hard to compare with Chankanaab as the snorkeling is different here. I wouldn't say either are my favorite snorkeling spots, but both are very good. We've had both good and bad snorkeling times both on this trip and at Chankanaab depending on the conditions. We've done both this trip and been to Chankanaab three times each. I'd say this tour is not primarily a snorkeling tour, but has what can be a very nice snorkeling stop. But overall it is one of our favorite excursions. It has a great combination of snorkeling, scenic views above the surface during a nice relaxing sail, beach time and nice party atmosphere on the boat - not to mention the tasty rum punch (and I'm not normally a big rum punch fan).

Here are two links to some snorkeling pictures we took when we did this trip twice last year:

It is hard to compare with Chankanaab as the snorkeling is different here. I wouldn't say either are my favorite snorkeling spots, but both are very good. We've had both good and bad snorkeling times both on this trip and at Chankanaab depending on the conditions. We've done both this trip and been to Chankanaab three times each. I'd say this tour is not primarily a snorkeling tour, but has what can be a very nice snorkeling stop. But overall it is one of our favorite excursions. It has a great combination of snorkeling, scenic views above the surface during a nice relaxing sail, beach time and nice party atmosphere on the boat - not to mention the tasty rum punch (and I'm not normally a big rum punch fan).

After looking at your photos, I'm sold on Fan-ta-sea! Are you using a housing unit for your underwater pics? Those are incredible shots. Very beautiful.

After looking at your photos, I'm sold on Fan-ta-sea! Are you using a housing unit for your underwater pics? Those are incredible shots. Very beautiful.

yes it is an underwater housing made for my camera - both from around 2003 - Camera is a 2mp small Minolta - nothing fancy by todays standards. I've upgraded twice but still use it for underwater photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Great pics Lsimon. We have booked this tour in March and there are 8 of us, 4 being kids ages 7,8,12,12. How do they do with the kids? Is their much instruction? I hope they have life jackets for the kids to wear when they are snorkeling ??.. About the beach part...what did they serve for lunch? What "adult" beverages were included with the lunch? Was there any shopping on the beach since we wont have anytime when we get back to the pier? Any and all info would be great! Thanks in advance, Mindy:)

Great pics Lsimon. We have booked this tour in March and there are 8 of us, 4 being kids ages 7,8,12,12. How do they do with the kids? Is their much instruction? I hope they have life jackets for the kids to wear when they are snorkeling ??.. About the beach part...what did they serve for lunch? What "adult" beverages were included with the lunch? Was there any shopping on the beach since we wont have anytime when we get back to the pier? Any and all info would be great! Thanks in advance, Mindy:)

Don't know about instruction as we didn't need or want any. In general I think the standard procedure for these types of excursions is to have those needing some instruction work with one of the guides and that is probably what they did on this one too. They had snorkel vests and I believe use of these was mandatory. Although if you didn't want a vest so you could dive down you could keep it uninflated if you want, but had to have one on. This too is S.O.P. on every ship sponsored snorkeling excursion we've been on.

Can't remember beach food details but seems like it was simple food. Hot dogs and one or two other items, probably chicken. A few side dishes, beans & rice and something else, and some dessert. More like picnic BBQ food.

Adult beverages on shore were probably same as on the catamaran - bottles of beer and rum punch for sure - possibly other things as well but that was all I drank.

No shopping at beach. First time in 2004 we had no time for shopping on our return. The two times last year we had at least a half hour or so to browse through shops right at the pier area when the excursion ended.

Thanks for your posts & pics LSimon--

This helped us exclude this excursion...seems like a nice trip but not for us--not enough shade on board, I don't like the barefot policy or wading to the beach-- Will hope to get to Nevis & the Botanic garden instead!

Everything sounds good. How do you get in touch with the Fan Ta Sea to find out tmes, prices and availabilty?

Thanks,

Tom

Only time I've seen it, it was offered as a ship's excursion. They actually hire one of two Cat's, which might even be run by different companies, depending on the size of the group.

Archived