Interesting about Cruise Ship Doctors

Heres an interesting article about cruise ship Doctor I found in the The Wall Street Journal.

Here the link

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119318197257869091.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

This is very scary when you are sick or injured & think that you are getting good medical care. If the cruise line is not responsible then when you pay their high costs for care who gets the money?

HMMMMM........... My soon to be SIL has been on 2 RCCL cruises and both times had an allergic reaction to something baked. She has never experienced allergic reactions to food at any other time. So on the recent cruise she actively avoided the muffins that cause the last one. This last time was very bad (she ate some bread), and as she and my brother -who was pretty much carrying her at this point-made their way to the infirmary she informed them she need an eppi pen (hers was deliverd to an incorrect address prior to departure so she did not have it). They refused and attempted half heartedly to perform tests and exams on her which for the most part ended up being hurry up and wait. Sure enough- they finally hit her with the eppi pen and she was good as gold (although very worn out).

Yes, you should think of the ships as third world countries when it comes to medical care....as a nurse I can tell you that. They do not have the testing and capability to do all that can be done on land - and that is why there are a lot of air lifts.

But, you may be surprised, most doctors in this country as well - are considered "Independant contractors" - so when you see a doc in a hospital, keep in mind, they dont work for the hospital....they work in a hospital as their own boss in most cases.

Actually, on a cruise on SoS a couple years ago, we had taken my Grandmother along, and she had slipped and fell (through no fault of RCI's) we took her to the ships Dr and as I recall in the paper work I signed it stated quite clearly that the Dr was an independent contractor.

As for the care, She recieved the the same level of care that she would have recieved had she gone to a hospital emergency room, without the long wait to see the Dr (it took about 10 mins for the Dr to arrive).

HMMMMM........... My soon to be SIL has been on 2 RCCL cruises and both times had an allergic reaction to something baked. She has never experienced allergic reactions to food at any other time. So on the recent cruise she actively avoided the muffins that cause the last one. This last time was very bad (she ate some bread), and as she and my brother -who was pretty much carrying her at this point-made their way to the infirmary she informed them she need an eppi pen (hers was deliverd to an incorrect address prior to departure so she did not have it). They refused and attempted half heartedly to perform tests and exams on her which for the most part ended up being hurry up and wait. Sure enough- they finally hit her with the eppi pen and she was good as gold (although very worn out).

Just a note has she been tested for allergies to nuts?

And also this goes to show you how important it is for all of to understand that eventhough you are treated by a "Doctor" he/she can make a mistake. If symptoms persist don't ignore them seek out medical attention. This can happen on a cruise or off.

I have an issue with the industry calling the medical staff independent contractors after there is a problem and in the paperwork you receieve shortly before your cruise and are set to sail. In the general FAQs section of the RCCL website it has

Q: Is there a licensed medical staff onboard

A: We have two fully licensed doctors, and three nurses onboard every ship.

Q: What happens if I get sick onboard ?

A: Should you get sick onboard, you will need to go to the medical facilities. The doctor will diagnose the illness and advise accordingly.

I think it should include the independent contractors part there before someone buys into the cruise experience if they have concerns about medical liability. Some folks are more accident prone than others and should know the facts up front before they face injuries and care that may not be up to par.

Just a note has she been tested for allergies to nuts?

And also this goes to show you how important it is for all of to understand that eventhough you are treated by a "Doctor" he/she can make a mistake. If symptoms persist don't ignore them seek out medical attention. This can happen on a cruise or off.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I knew someone that it took a while to figure out the allergy. First time eating mixed nuts, next time hand dipped vanilla ice cream, chocolate, ground nuts. Most nuts were just fine, thought it had to do with mixing nuts and chocolate. Couldn't figure it out until one Christmas I bought a bag of nuts in the shell. The Brazil nut was it!! Easy to avoid or so we thought. On one night purchased Chocolate ice cream with macedamia nuts. Brazil nuts not listed. Not allergic to the Macedamia nuts, but the Brazil nuts or residue must have been in the ice cream. Terrible reaction. All these reactions were of the throat closing etc. Even to this day, you think they're ground walnuts and somehow the Brazil nut is involved. The person is NOT allergic to any other nuts. Just an example of trying to figure an extreme and dangerous allergy out.

Actually, on a cruise on SoS a couple years ago, we had taken my Grandmother along, and she had slipped and fell (through no fault of RCI's) we took her to the ships Dr and as I recall in the paper work I signed it stated quite clearly that the Dr was an independent contractor.

As for the care, She recieved the the same level of care that she would have recieved had she gone to a hospital emergency room, without the long wait to see the Dr (it took about 10 mins for the Dr to arrive).

On the Empress many years ago, I took and excursion on the Yellowboat Tour and had one too many rum punches which made me truly believe that I could do the limbo. The prize for winning was a bottle of over proof rum (as if at that point I needed any more rum) so I joined the queue and actually did pretty good until they decided it was time to seperate the men from the boys. I made it under the bar but when it was time to stand myself upright, my right knee decided that it had had enough and refused to cooperate with me. The details of my pain are too horrible to re-live here so lets just say that it hurt A LOT!!! So I made my way back to the ship when we got back and straight to the infirmary, they took me right away when they saw the pain on my face and I feel that I received care just as I would have here in a hospital. They even gave me crutches, pain reliever and those disposable ice pack thingies. I even got a call from the Dr. to check up on me and for the rest of the cruise, when people saw me on my crutches from a distance, they would yell "Hey there Limbo Queen"!!! It was so nice to be a semi-celebrity even though it took such a disaster to become one :p .

People are talking two separate issues here.

First, it is not by accident that cruise lines use independent contractors rather than hiring the physicians themselves. It is more a DUH! Of course they want to distance themselves from any legal liabilities.

Second, the fact that the onboard physician is an independent contractor has nothing to do with his/her skills as a physician. To talk about third world medicine is just silly. You will find good physicians onboard a ship. And you will find marginal physicians onboard a ship - just as you will find both good and marginal physicians on land.

Third, the medical facilities onboard a ship do not pretend to be equivalent to a hospital. They are an Urgent Care Center, maybe , at best - something to meet the needs in minor situations and provide interim care until the patient can be transported (in more serious situations).

But, you may be surprised, most doctors in this country as well - are considered "Independant contractors" - so when you see a doc in a hospital, keep in mind, they dont work for the hospital....they work in a hospital as their own boss in most cases.

I was actually going to point that out, too! Most of the time there is a sign that states that the doctors you will be seeing in an ER are not employed by the hospital, but are independent contractors. They point it out heavily in the ER, but it is true for the whole building in most cases!

On a cruise ship, you cannot ask for a 2nd opinion, as there is no 2nd MD. You are at their mercy. If you feel you have a serious or life threatening condition, you can demand to be airlifted or seek medical care at a port, but you also risk bearing sole burden for that cost (airlifting is wicked expensive), as they will consider you demanding it without a doctor's order "your choice." If you seek care in a port, you are going into an unknown medical system with unknown methods of infection control (do they reuse needles?).

I wish I could end this with a "but here's what you do to stay safe", but I don't have one. :(

Your best bet is to be extremely careful, but even then, accidents happen, as do heart attacks and strokes.

In the general FAQs section of the RCCL website it has

Q: Is there a licensed medical staff onboard

A: We have two fully licensed doctors, and three nurses onboard every ship.

On a cruise ship, you cannot ask for a 2nd opinion, as there is no 2nd MD.

I would believe one doctor would confer with the other or you could do so in an unusual or difficult case. Also the doctors could communicate with land based facilities. In the Cdn north we have nurse practitioners and doctors who do online consultations including patient examination with major medical centers in the south.

I wish I had purchased it.......too late now

Call your travel agent!!! It's not too late as you are still two months out. If RCI won't let you purchase theirs, there are lots of alternatives. If you are a AAA (Auto Club) member, they sell it too. It is very important to have this piece of mind and hope you never have to use it. But if you don't have it and someone has to be airlifted or has some other trama, the costs could easily bankrupt you.

not only are ER doc's independant contractors, so are the Radiologist's who read your x-ray's, mri's and ct's. using independant contracted dr's is no big deal.

most of the dr's on board the ships are from india, which has a very good medical system in place. i have no 2nd thoughts about seeing a dr onboard. i just know if it is serious i will be airlifted off.

Call your travel agent!!! It's not too late as you are still two months out. If RCI won't let you purchase theirs, there are lots of alternatives. If you are a AAA (Auto Club) member, they sell it too. It is very important to have this piece of mind and hope you never have to use it. But if you don't have it and someone has to be airlifted or has some other trama, the costs could easily bankrupt you.

I am actually shy of 2 months and we have preexisting conditions that would not be covered.........What do you think?

not only are ER doc's independant contractors, so are the Radiologist's who read your x-ray's, mri's and ct's. using independant contracted dr's is no big deal.

most of the dr's on board the ships are from india, which has a very good medical system in place. i have no 2nd thoughts about seeing a dr onboard. i just know if it is serious i will be airlifted off.

Don't forget anesthesia. Many hospitals contract for anesthesia services as well.

I am actually shy of 2 months and we have preexisting conditions that would not be covered.........What do you think?

I think I would try no matter what. The worst that can happen is they say "no", but then at least you know you tried. And don't mention any pre-existing condition that you have. They don't ask you for medical history or anything like that since it's a very short term insurance. Let me know how it goes.

What scary is:

Most doctors on cruise ships are from foreign countries and got their degrees from the country they come from. They are not only independent contractors but the majoritiy of them aren't even licensed or sanctioned by the AMA.

The primary reason the AMA exists is to limit competition and to keep wages of their "union" members high. They have no way to know if a person has the education or qualification to successfully be a doctor. Nor do they care. :D

jc

Archived