Interesting about Cruise Ship Doctors

I hope everyone buys travel insurance. Accidents happen.

Everybody should check their current coverage to see whether they need the medical component of travel insurance. We're lucky in that we have coverage that follows us worldwide, including evacuation if needed. Not all companies do that, but many do, so buying the insurance may be unnecessary.

I am actually shy of 2 months and we have preexisting conditions that would not be covered.........What do you think?

First check with your current insurance company (if you are insured) to see if you are already covered. My policy I have through work covers any emergency care I need while travelling, even out of the country.

I think I would try no matter what. The worst that can happen is they say "no", but then at least you know you tried. And don't mention any pre-existing condition that you have. They don't ask you for medical history or anything like that since it's a very short term insurance. Let me know how it goes.

My understanding is that you give complete access to all your medical history when you purchase medical insurance. If that's the case, this could be a very expensive lesson. I also have the coverage through my employer so it isn't an issue.

LNF

not only are ER doc's independant contractors, so are the Radiologist's who read your x-ray's, mri's and ct's. using independant contracted dr's is no big deal.

And sometimes the radiologists may even be in another country! Some U.S. hospitals electronically send x-rays, mri's etc. to radiologists in other countries that are contracted.

Everybody should check their current coverage to see whether they need the medical component of travel insurance. We're lucky in that we have coverage that follows us worldwide, including evacuation if needed. Not all companies do that, but many do, so buying the insurance may be unnecessary.

But travel insurance doesn't only cover medical and/or evacs. It also tends to cover things like trip cancellations due to death in the family, house fire, or other tragic and unforseen event. If you lose luggage, often it is covered or at least a portion. Delayed flights that cause you to miss the boat are covered.

So yes, check all your coverages, but don't think you don't need travel insurance if your medical insurance covers you.

My understanding is that you give complete access to all your medical history when you purchase medical insurance. If that's the case, this could be a very expensive lesson. I also have the coverage through my employer so it isn't an issue.

LNF

Travel insurance does not fall under the "medical insurance" coverage issue of granting full access to your history. And travel insurance is NOT just for medical purposes. As I stated in my previous post, it covers a multitude of things. I'm not trying to sound ugly here (so don't flame me), but it seems like a lot of you have been mislead about what travel insurance is and isn't. Please google: travel insurance information and educate yourselves about it before deciding you don't need it. I would hate for something to happen to any of my fellow cruisers and then have you find out later that it could have been taken care of if you had had the insurance.:)

But travel insurance doesn't only cover medical and/or evacs. It also tends to cover things like trip cancellations due to death in the family, house fire, or other tragic and unforseen event. If you lose luggage, often it is covered or at least a portion. Delayed flights that cause you to miss the boat are covered.

So yes, check all your coverages, but don't think you don't need travel insurance if your medical insurance covers you.

I personally disagree. Medical costs are the primary reason to buy travel insurance (as medical expenses can be astronomical). One does not typically need any insurance to be reimbursed for lost luggage. By flying in a day before your cruise, you chance of missing the boat are slim and do not justify purchasing the insurance. As for deaths in the family/emergencies, if someone in the travel party or someone close to them is at risk to be severely ill around the time of travel then purchasing the insurance may be wise, but if the travellers and their immediate family are in fairly good health then in my opinion the cost of the travel insurance isn't justified by the small risk of needing to cancel a cruise.

I personally disagree. Medical costs are the primary reason to buy travel insurance (as medical expenses can be astronomical). One does not typically need any insurance to be reimbursed for lost luggage. By flying in a day before your cruise, you chance of missing the boat are slim and do not justify purchasing the insurance. As for deaths in the family/emergencies, if someone in the travel party or someone close to them is at risk to be severely ill around the time of travel then purchasing the insurance may be wise, but if the travellers and their immediate family are in fairly good health then in my opinion the cost of the travel insurance isn't justified by the small risk of needing to cancel a cruise.

Well, you're certainly welcome to your opinion. But obviously you have never had the occasion of having an emergency where you either needed to get home or had to cancel a trip because of an unforseen event (and I truly hope you never do). Unfortunately, whether your traveling party is in good health or not, accidents happen. But also if you are traveling or planning to and say one of your parents pass away (God forbid, but it does happen), you wouldn't be wanting to take off cruising the next day or so. The insurance allows you to cancel your trip or postpone it without you incurring the costs assessed by the airline or cruise line. It's not an expensive insurance to have, so in my mind (and by recommendation of every travel professional I've ever known), it's worth the piece of mind.

Travel insurance does not fall under the "medical insurance" coverage issue of granting full access to your history. And travel insurance is NOT just for medical purposes. As I stated in my previous post, it covers a multitude of things. I'm not trying to sound ugly here (so don't flame me), but it seems like a lot of you have been mislead about what travel insurance is and isn't. Please google: travel insurance information and educate yourselves about it before deciding you don't need it. I would hate for something to happen to any of my fellow cruisers and then have you find out later that it could have been taken care of if you had had the insurance.:)

I think most of my fellow cruisers on this thread are very educated about what travel insurance is and isn't. If you don't have good medical coverage to cover a major emergency then one good reason for travel insurance would be to get that coverage. However, if the travel insurance is to buy plane tickets to get me to the next port to catch the ship should I miss it. Then for me that is why I have a visa card and an American Express card. I have zero expectation of needing the other benefits and therefore I prefer to self-insure for those things. The advantage of this is I save money today. The disadvantage is I might have to use my Credit Card at some future date for some unknown future expense.

jc

Well, you're certainly welcome to your opinion. But obviously you have never had the occasion of having an emergency where you either needed to get home or had to cancel a trip because of an unforseen event (and I truly hope you never do). Unfortunately, whether your traveling party is in good health or not, accidents happen. But also if you are traveling or planning to and say one of your parents pass away (God forbid, but it does happen), you wouldn't be wanting to take off cruising the next day or so. The insurance allows you to cancel your trip or postpone it without you incurring the costs assessed by the airline or cruise line. It's not an expensive insurance to have, so in my mind (and by recommendation of every travel professional I've ever known), it's worth the piece of mind.

Its just a calculated risk that I and many other people take. Unless a loved one is severely ill at the time of my purchase, I feel as though the percent chance of needing to cancel the cruise is lower than the extra percent I have to pay for my cruise. I do know that unexpected events can transpire and that I would be out money if that were to occur. However, I do not believe in paying 10% extra or what not for something I have a 2%-3% chance of using unless it is something very costly (i.e. insuring one's property).

I think most of my fellow cruisers on this thread are very educated about what travel insurance is and isn't. If you don't have good medical coverage to cover a major emergency then one good reason for travel insurance would be to get that coverage. However, if the travel insurance is to buy plane tickets to get me to the next port to catch the ship should I miss it. Then for me that is why I have a visa card and an American Express card.

Wow, we are on the same side of an issue! :D

I think most of my fellow cruisers on this thread are very educated about what travel insurance is and isn't. If you don't have good medical coverage to cover a major emergency then one good reason for travel insurance would be to get that coverage. However, if the travel insurance is to buy plane tickets to get me to the next port to catch the ship should I miss it. Then for me that is why I have a visa card and an American Express card. I have zero expectation of needing the other benefits and therefore I prefer to self-insure for those things. The advantage of this is I save money today. The disadvantage is I might have to use my Credit Card at some future date for some unknown future expense.

jc

You are underwriting yourself which can be a very smart thing to do. You travel 10 times with no "event" and save several thousand dollars on travel insurance for 2. Then you have one "event" and spend $1000 on air fare (to get home quickly). At the end of the day, you are up $1000. :)

Obviously, if your risk factors change, you might elect to get the insurance........

I can see how the cruise ships would want to be free of legal actions for any problems with the Dr. We were just on the Crown last week and on the From the Bridge channel they described all the officers and the stripes and how to tell them apart. These descriptions included the medical staff and it can be somewhat confusing that they are not officers on the ship since they have the same type of stripes. Just something I thought about while reading this and the TV descriptions being fresh in my mind.

The poster that I was talking to was referring to a pre-existing condition, would that not be medical?

LNF

Believe it or not I am most concerned about the cost of being airlifted to a hospital in the us. I have to check into it.....but I was told if you are Amex Platinum you automatically have some sort of insurance for that. My friend told me they had to medivac her father from Florida to NJ and Amex cost with Plat was the most $5000.00 I could handle that just in case but i would hate to get travel insurance this late in the game that would not cover half of our medical issues.

The poster that I was talking to was referring to a pre-existing condition, would that not be medical?

LNF

Yes, a pre-existing condition is "medical', but not when we're talking about travel insurance. I have never seen a travel insurance carrier ask about a pre-existing medical condition because again you are only buying a short-term policy and the liklihood of that pre-existing condition being a factor while you're traveling is within the risk tolerance they are willing to take.

It seems that not many agree with me about the insurance and that's fine. I just believe that we all need to make informed decisions that are best for us in our particular circumstances and with all the available information at our disposal. The poster that I was discussing this with actually wished they had bought insurance and questioned whether or not they could still get it two months prior to sailing.

Yes, a pre-existing condition is "medical', but not when we're talking about travel insurance. I have never seen a travel insurance carrier ask about a pre-existing medical condition because again you are only buying a short-term policy and the liklihood of that pre-existing condition being a factor while you're traveling is within the risk tolerance they are willing to take.

It seems that not many agree with me about the insurance and that's fine. I just believe that we all need to make informed decisions that are best for us in our particular circumstances and with all the available information at our disposal. The poster that I was discussing this with actually wished they had bought insurance and questioned whether or not they could still get it two months prior to sailing.

Actually, for you I agree with your decision, as it is a personal choice, and I don't want to make your choices for you. Nor, do I want you to make mine for me. ;)

There is no one size fits all answer to this. It is all about an individuals perception of risk and willingness to accept risk or not.

jc

I know you are trying to help me and I appreciate it but I did call months ago and was told the preexisting conditions would not be covered. That was why I really wanted the insurance. My Daughter had ACL surgery and my husband had shoulder surgery and I had 2 cardia stents. My stents would have been covered because it was 3 months out but my daughter and husband would not. If we needed medical help because of them it would not be covered. Since then my DH had a heart attack and 4 stents and now he wont' be covered for that. I am nervous with all of these events that a 12 day cruise is scary for me and do not want cost that will be out of this world. I am going to however call Amex and see what they offer based on what my friend told me.

Actually, for you I agree with your decision, as it is a personal choice, and I don't want to make your choices for you. Nor, do I want you to make mine for me. ;)

There is no one size fits all answer to this. It is all about an individuals perception of risk and willingness to accept risk or not.

jc

It is funny you say that. Feb we went on the Adventure and never thought twice about cruise insurance.........then one day you wake up and bammmmmm since April, we are in our 40's I had stents, my daughter tore her ACL, my husband dislocated his shoulder twice, she had Acl surgery he had Shoulder surgery and then a heart attack. We were the most healthy family before that. I have now determined anything could happen at any time. I have been told the cost just to airlift is astronomical. I don't want to get stuck. It could happen to anyone.

Where I live, there is small print on the form that allows them full access to your medical history.

I feel so enlightened now. Thank you for the lesson. :)

LNF

Yes, a pre-existing condition is "medical', but not when we're talking about travel insurance. I have never seen a travel insurance carrier ask about a pre-existing medical condition because again you are only buying a short-term policy

I am no expert on this, but from just doing a google search it looks like pre-existing conditions may come into play if one files a claim. If someone received treatment for a pre-existing condition within a few months prior to buying the travl insurance, then it looks like the person needs to be healthy enough to travel at the time the travelers insurance is purchased.

I know you are trying to help me and I appreciate it but I did call months ago and was told the preexisting conditions would not be covered. That was why I really wanted the insurance. My Daughter had ACL surgery and my husband had shoulder surgery and I had 2 cardia stents. My stents would have been covered because it was 3 months out but my daughter and husband would not. If we needed medical help because of them it would not be covered. Since then my DH had a heart attack and 4 stents and now he wont' be covered for that. I am nervous with all of these events that a 12 day cruise is scary for me and do not want cost that will be out of this world. I am going to however call Amex and see what they offer based on what my friend told me.

Have you checked if the insurance you already have covers you for travel?

Archived