Family of 6 - Cruising Options

murbanjr

Mates :) :

My family (read Wife and I) are hoping to take our first family cruise during the summer of 2009 :D . Since we are a family of 6, costs and options for us are a significant concern. Our four children will be 11, 9, 9 and 6 (boy, girl, girl and boy) at that time. Our vacation planning experience thus far (non cruising) has proven to be a bit of a challenge :confused: – it would appear that the traditional vacation industry (resorts, hotels) tend to cater to families with 5 or less members (had we only figured out where children come from earlier….:D )

We are hoping to do a Caribbean itinerary most likely out of Florida for 7 nights. Since we live in Chicago, flying 6 people somewhere is a significant cost which we always try to minimize by flying into less expensive airports.

We would welcome any and all advice on planning this trip. We are specifically interested in suggestions in the following areas:

1) Cruise Line (which caters best to children – outside of Disney’s)

2) Accommodations – which cruise lines offer a single cabin that may accommodate 2 adults and 4 children (ideally with a bit of privacy for the adults at night)

3) Accommodations II – is a single cabin superior to two connecting cabins (cost, etc.?) Since our oldest is 11, it is impossible to leave the children alone (per US law) in a cabin that would not be connecting and provide for full access from our cabin

4) At what point do the summer of 2009 schedules become available for booking

5) Anything else that may be important to know or consider.

We appreciate any and all responses, advice, tips and / or donations of money.

I was tempted to call this post “smuggling alcohol onboard to ensure the sanity of cruising parents” in order to ensure that it was read (it always amazes me as to how heated the alcohol smuggling threads are on this board.) However, the wife gently suggested against it :eek: !

I think two connecting cabins are usually less expensive than a large suite that would hold you all - and with 2 cabins you also get 2 bathrooms, a good plus.

If I were flying to Florida and all my kids were potty trained, I'd go with RCCL first, with Carnival a close 2nd depending on pricing. RCCL has some configurations where you can connect an inside cabin to a balcony for about the same price as 2 outside cabins. Maybe someone here will know, or you can ask on the RCCL board.

Sounds like great fun for you all.

Best,

Mia

My family (read Wife and I) are hoping to take our first family cruise during the summer of 2009 :D . Since we are a family of 6, costs and options for us are a significant concern. Our four children will be 11, 9, 9 and 6 (boy, girl, girl and boy) at that time. Our vacation planning experience thus far (non cruising) has proven to be a bit of a challenge :confused: – it would appear that the traditional vacation industry (resorts, hotels) tend to cater to families with 5 or less members (had we only figured out where children come from earlier….)

We are hoping to do a Caribbean itinerary most likely out of Florida for 7 nights. Since we live in Chicago, flying 6 people somewhere is a significant cost which we always try to minimize by flying into less expensive airports.

We would welcome any and all advice on planning this trip. We are specifically interested in suggestions in the following areas:

1) Cruise Line (which caters best to children – outside of Disney’s)

2) Accommodations – which cruise lines offer a single cabin that may accommodate 2 adults and 4 children (ideally with a bit of privacy for the adults at night)

3) Accommodations II – is a single cabin superior to two connecting cabins (cost, etc.?) Since our oldest is 11, it is impossible to leave the children alone (per US law) in a cabin that would not be connecting and provide for full access from our cabin

4) At what point do the summer of 2009 schedules become available for booking

5) Anything else that may be important to know or consider.

We appreciate any and all responses, advice, tips and / or donations of money.

I was tempted to call this post “smuggling alcohol onboard to ensure the sanity of cruising parents” in order to ensure that it was read (it always amazes me as to how heated the alcohol smuggling threads are on this board.) However, the wife gently suggested against it :eek: !

RCCL offers a family ocean view room that (I believe) accommodates up to 6. I got this blurb off the Voyager Class ship description and I know the Brilliance class ships have them too. You just have to look in each ship class off of RCCL.com

s.giffo.gifFamily Oceanview Stateroom Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), additional bunk beds in separate area, separate sitting area with sofa bed, and a private bathroom with shower. (265 sq. ft.)

I think two connecting cabins are usually less expensive than a large suite that would hold you all - and with 2 cabins you also get 2 bathrooms' date=' a good plus.

If I were flying to Florida and all my kids were potty trained, I'd go with RCCL first, with Carnival a close 2nd depending on pricing. RCCL has some configurations where you can connect an inside cabin to a balcony for about the same price as 2 outside cabins. Maybe someone here will know, or you can ask on the RCCL board.

Sounds like great fun for you all.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I know that Voyager class ships offer the balcony/inside combination right next to each other and Voyager's rooms are connecting staterooms.

9676/9681

9376/9381

Freedom class ships rooms don't have a connecting door, but they are right next to each other, with the balcony/inside combo.

1392/1394

1692/1694

Just keep looking at each deck till you find all "layouts" like these.

Happy Sailing!

If you do this, book AFT, not forward. Less motion in the AFT.

RCCL has a lot of options for larger families. The family staterooms usually can't be booked over the internet as they require a minimum of 5 people to book them. Plus the Voyager and Freedom class ships have tons of activities for kids of all ages (plus adults only areas for a little parental alone time).

RCCL has the Family Oceanview which will accommodate up to 6 people. You can find FOVs on Radiance class, Voyager class, Freedom class, and some of the Vision class.

Family Inside Stateroom will also accommodate up to 6 people. You'll find it on Freedom class and one of the Vision class ships.

Family Promenade Staterooms. These are family staterooms that overlook the interior promenade on RCCL's Freedom class. They accommodate up to 6 people.

Royal Family Suite. This is a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite on RCCL's Vision class, Radiance class, Voyager class, and Freedom class. It requires a minimum of 5 to book and can accommodate up to 8 people.

RCCL also has lots of options of connecting staterooms including a few balconies that connect to insides.

My best advice is to contact a travel agent and have them price different options for you. I recommend pricing all options because sometimes it is much less expensive to get two connecting cabins than to do a family stateroom.

I would expect summer 2009 itineraries to come out next Spring. RCCL typically releases theirs in April, a few lines in March, and some are later in May or June.

My family (read Wife and I) are hoping to take our first family cruise during the summer of 2009 :D . Since we are a family of 6, costs and options for us are a significant concern. Our four children will be 11, 9, 9 and 6 (boy, girl, girl and boy) at that time. Our vacation planning experience thus far (non cruising) has proven to be a bit of a challenge – it would appear that the traditional vacation industry (resorts, hotels) tend to cater to families with 5 or less members (had we only figured out where children come from earlier…. )

1) Cruise Line (which caters best to children – outside of Disney’s) Having only sailed on Carnival (for now!), I can only give you my experience with Carnival. My four children LOVE Camp Carnival. My two girls, who are 4 and 2, would cry almost every time we we would pick them up from Camp Carnival. My two older boys, who were 11 and 9 (they are now 17 and 15 ) when we started cruising, also loved Camp Carnival.

2) Accommodations – which cruise lines offer a single cabin that may accommodate 2 adults and 4 children (ideally with a bit of privacy for the adults at night) That's a good question. I would like to know the answer to that myself. Having 6 in my family, we have always had to get 2 rooms (well, not always...just our last 2 cruises....as you can see there is BIG gap in my kids ages:eek: )

3) Accommodations II – is a single cabin superior to two connecting cabins (cost, etc.?) Since our oldest is 11, it is impossible to leave the children alone (per US law) in a cabin that would not be connecting and provide for full access from our cabin I am sorry...I am not sure I understand this question...

4) At what point do the summer of 2009 schedules become available for booking I read on another thread that they may become available December/early January.

5) Anything else that may be important to know or consider. I can sympathize with you. It is tough paying for 6 flights and paying for 2 cabins. We had some frequent flyer miles this past May for our flights to MIA and we are driving to NY next June. My girlfried found flights (for her family of 5) from Pittsburgh to Orlando over Easter this past year for only $99 round trip..now that's a bargin....You just have to keep looking and find the best deals out there. Good luck....

We appreciate any and all responses, advice, tips and / or donations of money. Sorry, can't help you there, springing for our first balcony:D

I was tempted to call this post “smuggling alcohol onboard to ensure the sanity of cruising parents” in order to ensure that it was read (it always amazes me as to how heated the alcohol smuggling threads are on this board.) However, the wife gently suggested against it :eek: ! Now that's funny

Good luck choosing:D

Yeah I was thinking of the Family Oceanview or Royal Family Suite with RCCL. Both of those types of cabins book up REALLY fast because they are so limited. So you just can't book them online, you need to call RCCL directly to get prices or use a travel agent.

To check which ports are the cheapest to fly into from Chicago, go to www.kayak.com and start entering airports. Try MCO (Orlando) and Miami. I can get direct flights from PA to MCO and Miami for $113 round trip.

The question about which "cruiseline caters best to children outside of Disney", all of the main cruiselines will cater to kids. So that's RCCL, Carnival, Princess and NCL. Some also like to cruise Celebrity with their kids.

A single cabin is not always "superior" to a connecting cabin. With a connecting cabin you get TWO bathroooms. :)

Some are already booked for 2009, so those schedules are out already for certain ships.

Sorry, can't donate money ;)

Just to throw something else into the mix- I really enjoyed Cunard. There is a nice youth program but on the Queen Mary 2 they also have fresh water pools, one indoor pool that the kids can use also, a plantetarium and lots of board games. There was no video arcade, which was fine with me! Really I think the whole family would have a good time on that cruise.

Another option is Celebrity- for the ages you described, I think your kids would have a wonderful time.

Get connecting rooms. It is cheaper (usually) and you have two bathrooms and can have all four kids in one cabin and have privacy (sometimes) in yours.

Whatever you decide- I think the kids will enjoy any cruise.

You can sometimes get deals from Southwest to Fort Lauderdale from Midway. You can get Midway to tampa or Orlando and then Fort Lauderdale usually without changing planes, but not nonstop. I go to Chicago for a Business Conference about every 3 years and occasionally have managed an amazing deal. Also, checkout airfarewatchdog.com

My only problem with Southwest right now is the rumor that I'm hearing about their allowing smoking on flights. I don't mind if you want to smoke, but there is no way to get away from the smoke on a plane and besides the fact that I don't like the smell my son is asthmatic so that is a problem. Oh and the smoking is allowed in the family section of the plane.:rolleyes:

My only problem with Southwest right now is the rumor that I'm hearing about their allowing smoking on flights. I don't mind if you want to smoke, but there is no way to get away from the smoke on a plane and besides the fact that I don't like the smell my son is asthmatic so that is a problem. Oh and the smoking is allowed in the family section of the plane.:rolleyes:

I have not heard this rumor and I read several other travel (non-cruise) boards. I believe there is a US law that says that there can't be smoking on a plane.

I have not heard this rumor and I read several other travel (non-cruise) boards. I believe there is a US law that says that there can't be smoking on a plane.

It was actually a legitimate news source and I believe I saved the link it was like msnbc or something like that I'll go find it and post it. Anyway they are testing it now and apparently it wasn't a law but a standard of practice or something to that effect.

It's a law - you smoke on a plane, you go to jail on federal charges.

No iff's, and's or southwest butt's about it!

It's a law - you smoke on a plane, you go to jail on federal charges.

No iff's, and's or southwest butt's about it!

Yep, went and found it. Wendell H. Ford Aviation Investment and Reform Act of the 21st Century signed by President Clinton on April 5th, 2000 and went into force on June 4th, 2000. Made all flights to and from the US 100% smoke free.

I can't find the article but whatever. Southwest was/is experimenting with getting rid of early boarding for families and instead having a family section in the back of the plane. I think, if I understand correctly you pay more for these seats (more leg room so toddler can't kick seat infront of them). So basically it means you have to be up at midnight to make sure you get the A1 boarding number so that you can board first with your family and then you get to block the path while you install the car seat. Because you can bet I will block the path and make everyone complain that I am because they wouldn't let me board first to install the car seat.

If you get a late boarding code then you could end up not sitting together. Can you imagine you toddler in B22, you in A25, and DH in C28

I'd recommend two connecting rooms on an RCI Voyager or Freedom class ship (because these ships have such a huge variety of activites, and wonderful kids clubs). One for you and your husband, and the other room for the four kids.

Someone mentioned the inside-balcony cabin combo, but if that's cost prohibitive or already booked, then two oceanviews or two insides would be best. I'd rather sacrifice the balcony for two rooms than squeeze six people into a family suite.

Can you imagine you toddler in B22, you in A25, and DH in C28

YEP! Unfortunatly I can imagine because AirTran did this to us in August. :mad:

MY TA booked the flights (and I trusted her) but she didn't choose seats and I didn't realize that until we arrived at MCO post cruise. So we arrive 3 hours early and find out that the plane is overbooked and AirTran has us sitting in FOUR different rows. And yes the 3 and 7 year old were seated separatly with strangers. :eek:

So I asked the gate agent if I could do anything, NOPE, can't help ya there. :rolleyes: I begged, I pleaded, I *tried* to be nice. Then I called the TA who also begged. No go.

So when I got onboard I asked the nice people sitting with my kids if they would change seats, which they did.

When I got home I fired off letters to anyone who would listen. AirTRan sent $50 travel vouchers. I won't use them. :mad:

YEP! Unfortunatly I can imagine because AirTran did this to us in August. :mad:

MY TA booked the flights (and I trusted her) but she didn't choose seats and I didn't realize that until we arrived at MCO post cruise. So we arrive 3 hours early and find out that the plane is overbooked and AirTran has us sitting in FOUR different rows. And yes the 3 and 7 year old were seated separatly with strangers. :eek:

So I asked the gate agent if I could do anything, NOPE, can't help ya there. :rolleyes: I begged, I pleaded, I *tried* to be nice. Then I called the TA who also begged. No go.

So when I got onboard I asked the nice people sitting with my kids if they would change seats, which they did.

When I got home I fired off letters to anyone who would listen. AirTRan sent $50 travel vouchers. I won't use them. :mad:

:eek: Well I guess I won't be using a TA to book my air travel and I don't think I'll be using an airline that doesn't use seat assignment unless they allow families to preboard until my son is older.

If I were on that flight and you needed me to switch seats I would have been willing too. :) And I hope you don't use that TA anymore.

Southwest allows early boarding for families with kids 4 and under.

Southwest just changed their boarding policy. The only people that get to preboard are disabled and unaccompanied minors. After preboarding group A boards, then any families with small children, then group B and C.

It's been my experience that in Orlando, a lot of airlines don't preboard families with young children, even though they do it in other airports, because nearly everyone on the flight is a family with young children. This was Delta and America airlines explanation the few times I flew from Orlando.

Definately Voyager or Freedom class- we sailed with 5 kids, if $ is a concern, get 2 insides. We did this and the small am't of time that we fell exhausted into our beds, we are glad we didn't get more expensive rooms. You will all have a great cruise with these ships especially if you are an active family.

It's been my experience that in Orlando, a lot of airlines don't preboard families with young children, even though they do it in other airports, because nearly everyone on the flight is a family with young children. This was Delta and America airlines explanation the few times I flew from Orlando.

I can understand that in Orlando but Southwest Policy is nationwide. And my experience in flying them, even before being a parent, is that I can see that being a major problem. I've always noticed the children, babies, and toddlers on my flight not because they bothered me but because I've always liked them. They became my in-flight entertainment.

Now I've always done everything I could do get an A boarding pass. This includes going to the hotel free computer and doing the boarding pass thing but not printing and then going to the ticket counter and telling them oh yeah I did it at the hotel and didn't think about the fact that they didn't have a printer attached to the computer.

I notice that now hotels have special computers for the purpose of airline check in and boarding pass printing. I think cruise ships will need to provide this service for free next. Southwest does have cell phone check in and printout is no longer necessary but again I believe it begins at midnight. So people will be needing the ships computers at midnight to get that A boarding pass (print out not necessary). You can get it printed at a kiosk at the airport or so they say.

Oh and also something else I read and don't know if it is true but instead of A's boarding in any order and B's in any order you are assigned an order based on what order you got your boarding pass so someone who got an A boarding pass at midnight A1 would board before some who say got it at 3am say A15. Of course these numbers and times are arbitrary and I don't know if that was just something they were testing in one market or not. I had read an article about a lot of tests they were running in I believe the San Antonio market over the summer.

I know how you feel. We are a family of six and when you add the airfare, ouch! Hands down I vote for Royal Caribbean as my favorite cruise line, especially the Freedom class ships.

We've stayed in a FO (Family Oceanview) stateroom on the Mariner and just recently on the Freedom. If you can snag a FO cabin on the 8th floor (8200 or 8500) they are larger than the other FO cabins. Our FO was 8200 and there was a separate room with a door where the bunkbeds were. I was told in cabin 8500 there was also a door on the mainbedroom (read: privacy). :D

Good Luck with your decision! Our next cruise we are trying two inside connecting staterooms, it was a bit cheaper than the FO. We won't have a view but we'll have two bathrooms.

Archived