Seattle Pre-Cruise Hotel Package

pinknermal

We are cruising to Alaska on HAL in Sep. 2008 and since we've never been to Seattle we would like to add a couple of nights to the trip. Has anyone had any experience / recommendations for pre-cruise hotel & transfer packages? Even recommendations for hotels would be appreciated too!

Thanks in advance! :)

Laura

We are cruising to Alaska on HAL in Sep. 2008 and since we've never been to Seattle we would like to add a couple of nights to the trip. Has anyone had any experience / recommendations for pre-cruise hotel & transfer packages? Even recommendations for hotels would be appreciated too!

For hotels, are you looking for bargains or luxury? What style of lodging are you accustomed to using?

For prices, like most cities, you'll pay more for hotels within the Seattle downtown area. Less expensive options can be found near the airport, or even in other surrounding communities - but the trade-off is the drive into Seattle.

Sorry, forgot to mention that important detail! We tend to prefer something in the middle: not too cheap / chain hotel but not too rich for our blood!

Given the trade off, we would prefer to spend a little extra and stay in the heart of downtown Seattle in lieu of near the airport.

Thanks!

Sorry, forgot to mention that important detail! We tend to prefer something in the middle: not too cheap / chain hotel but not too rich for our blood!

Given the trade off, we would prefer to spend a little extra and stay in the heart of downtown Seattle in lieu of near the airport.

I've never used the pre/post packages ... but for hotels to consider, you can try:

Silver Cloud at Lake Union - silvercloud.com - this is probably one of the more affordable options (just outside of downtown, and they offer a van to shuttle you to downtown, the space needle, and the waterfront area). They also have a location near the stadiums that I've seen but never tried.

I've also heard good things about the following, but never tried them:

Any of the Kimpton hotels (they have three in the Seattle area - I've heard positive things about the Alexis and Manoco, don't know anyone who has tried the Vintage Park) - kimptonhotels.com (reportedly very nice, but also more expensive)

The Edgewater - edgewaterhotel.com - Some people seem to like it, it's located on the waterfront on pier 67, next door to one of the cruise terminals (cruises arrive/depart at Pier 30 or Pier 66, depending on the cruise line). My experience with it was before the current management - I hear it's much nicer now.

Seattle Marriott Waterfront - seattlewaterfrontmarriott.com - I hear this one recommended often, it's located almost directly across the street from Pier 66, so very convenient for cruises from that pier.

Mayflower Park - mayflowerpark.com - I've heard quite a few good things about this one, although the rooms tend to be smaller than in most other hotels. Next to downtown shopping district.

Executive Hotel Pacific - executivehotels.net - Several people on another thread mentioned this one. Their posts at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=636927 were the first that I had heard of it, and on-line travel sites rate it below the others I mentioned, but not bottom of the barrel. It may be a lower-priced option in the downtown area.

Update: I forgot in my above post that you're taking HAL - so you'll be leaving through pier 30. The two hotels that I mentioned above which are near the other cruise terminal aren't as convenient - but they're still reportedly nice hotels to consider and have good access to the downtown area.

Try searching the Seattle Convention and visitors web site. They have a section called cruise Seattle and a link to Hotels that have cruiseship passenger rates with transfers and some have included a breakfast. I still have not found any with airport transfers so we may take the advice of others and use a taxi to get to Seattle.

Thanks!

Last Sept we stayed at Holiday Inn Express on Aurora. We opened the drapes to a fantastic view of the space needle. It was a 3 block walk to the bus "yellow zone", where you ride the entire downtown area for free (we hit the Pike Market, shopping, museums) which was great. The hotel had a town car take us to the pier the morning we sailed.... only $5 per person. We were the only 2 in the car, and we did not stop for anyone else. They also have a free breakfast that is adequate. I would stay there again... the room was nice (not luxurious though), price and service were great.

We have been to Seattle twice and the last time we stayed at the Edgewater. It was a very nice hotel, situated on the water. The interior of it is very rustic and has been lodgy feel to it. We had 2 different rooms. The first night we stayed in a small corner room with a wood bed and wood paneling walls. It had a view of the Space Needle. We changed rooms because we got a free upgrade (my husband works for the airlines). The 2nd night we stayed in water view room, with a 4-poster bed, fireplace, balcony, and asian inspired bathroom. It was gorgeous. It's a bit of a distance from the rest of the downtown area, but is still walkable. I would highly recommend the hotel, if it's in your price range.

Also, there's a bus that takes you downtown. About 30 min. ride and cost is a couple bucks a person. Shows nice views of the area coming in from the airport. Never taken a cab so I don't know if it's any quicker trip.

Hope that helps!

Archived