Menu for Robbie Burns Night (with Haggis)

RMVET

You can buy it precut in small pieces in a bag over here and you can even microwave it. :eek: That does cut down on the time to cook a proper "swede". Personally, we buy them fresh and cut them up and cook them properly.

or even ready mashed :D

It would have to be malt, obviously. For the haggis, a tough, peaty, smoky, challenging number like Laphroig or Talisker to cut through the spices. Then with the sweet, something light and gorgeous (no, not me, although I understand your confusion) like Cardhu or Bunnahabhain (my fave, which goes down with alarming ease - think drinking the clean mountain air of a highland glen - had a bottle on my cruise provided as a thank you by beloved, lasted til half past 3 on day 2...sigh). Then for afterwards, put aside the brandy and port, and destroy a bottle of Bowmore - simply heaven in a glass.

If you haven't tried good malt as an after-dinner drink, give it a go. Raises eyebrows amongst some who consider whisky to be a pre-prandial, but rather good. Not good though with cheese or chocolate - whisky is difficult with fats.

There are a number of liquore whiskys, the best known of which is Drambuie, but to me they taste too sweet.

Good company, good whisky, a bit of the craic - pretty much why God put us here.

Ignore those who say you shouldn't take water or ice in Malt. Not a glass full of ice, but some malts are very demanding, and the water does a chemical thing that brings out the flavour so you go mmmmmm instead of ouch.

Up here, we have "sipping whisky", to be savoured and discussed, and "guzzlin' whisky", where the objective is rapid intoxication, undeserving of good malt. I frequent both schools.

Hic.

(Bells).

Thank You HS!

Most informative. DH will definately have to be in the 'guzzlin' whisky category!!;) Although he does care for the occasional malt, Bowmore being a favourite!

Afraid any type of whisky has rather a weird effect on me :( so l prefer to stick with my after dinner brandy:cool: with the usual cocktails, G&T's etc beforehand :D

Jackie

Archived