Menu for Robbie Burns Night (with Haggis)

RMVET

One discussion thread (can't remember which one) talked about the menu for Robert Burns Night and whether haggis is served on the QE2. A neighbor gave me a copy of the menus from the QE2 2007 world voyage, which included the menu for the Robert Burns Night Dinner in the Caronia Restaurant. And, yes, they served haggis.

Appetizers:

Smoked Scottish salmon

Home-made game pate

Mixed mellon platter

Highland rarebit

Flaky smoked haddock and potatoes

Soups:

Cream of broccoli

Cock-a-leekie

Chilled tomato with gin

Entrees:

Broiled turbot fillet

Whole roast free range "Garmpian" chicken, served with black "pudding" fritters

Roast prime sirloin

Home-made traditional Scottish haggis laced with a generous nip of

Scotch whisky and served with "Neeps and Tatties"

Sweets:

Apple and rhubarb crumble

Golden syrup pudding

Ice cream, sorbet, frozen yoghurt

Assorted cheese and crackers

Chilled tomato with gin

Can't stand tomatoes. But might waiver in my distaste if soaked with gin!

Neeps and Tatties. Are we allowed to say that on this board? This is a family board, no?

Last year we had an English couple (and a German couple) at our table. I think Robert Burns day was right after we got off (The cruise was Jan 3 to 15th) And the woman, who was originally Scottish, was going home to prepare a traditional Scottish feast for a party she was throwing for Robert Burns day. I'm pretty sure it was right after we got off (One of you true Scotsmen can tell me! What day is his birthday?) She says her hubby humors her. But she really gets into it big time!

I suppose if I ever get the opportunity I will try Haggis, though I will not seek them out. After all, I have once swallowed the worm in tequila. Well, it was by accident. It was a nip bottle, once I realize the da**ed thing was in my mouth, I had no choice (honorably) but to swallow! Trust me, I did not chew!

I've had worse. don't care for Brains and Eggs, though my Daddy did. Never had rattlesnake, but I love alligator. Got some Elk in my freezer, but it needs to be tossed. Been in there to long. The hunter used a new butcher and he ground too close on the ground elk, so a lot of bone bits in it. I have a roast in there, too, but it's probably freezer burned. I make pretty good venison, and made Marc a Christmas goose last year. Man was it a lot of work, and very messy. You have to be very careful,they can be very gamy, and you must pierce it a lot and cook it with water covering the bottom of the pan to prevent spatters. There were several cups of grease from a relatively small goose. I have been too chicken to serve the finger ling fish to Marc. He won't eat it, I'm sure. He'll eat tuna sushi, but won't touch tuna out of a can! Very finicky eater! Have made and served all sorts of sausages, including venison. But no haggis...yet.

One discussion thread (can't remember which one) talked about the menu for Robert Burns Night and whether haggis is served on the QE2. A neighbor gave me a copy of the menus from the QE2 2007 world voyage, which included the menu for the Robert Burns Night Dinner in the Caronia Restaurant. And, yes, they served haggis.

Appetizers:

Smoked Scottish salmon

Home-made game pate

Mixed mellon platter

Highland rarebit

Flaky smoked haddock and potatoes

Soups:

Cream of broccoli

Cock-a-leekie

Chilled tomato with gin

Entrees:

Broiled turbot fillet

Whole roast free range "Garmpian" chicken, served with black "pudding" fritters

Roast prime sirloin

Home-made traditional Scottish haggis laced with a generous nip of

Sweets:

Apple and rhubarb crumble

Golden syrup pudding

Ice cream, sorbet, frozen yoghurt

Assorted cheese and crackers

I had raised this question in a discussion about mushy peas being served on board QE2/QM2. Burns night is on or about January 25th, celebrated with the serving of the Haggis. Too bad I will be off QE2 on the 13th and will miss this event, if they celebrate it. I grew up on neeps and tatties ( turnip and whipped potato) served at grandparents sunday dinner.

I had raised this question in a discussion about mushy peas being served on board QE2/QM2. Burns night is on or about January 25th, celebrated with the serving of the Haggis. Too bad I will be off QE2 on the 13th and will miss this event, if they celebrate it. I grew up on neeps and tatties ( turnip and whipped potato) served at grandparents sunday dinner.

I have a question about neeps and tatties. Are they mixed together, or just two things that go with the haggis and are happy, though separate, side dishes?

I've got some of both here, so would love to try another dish, esp after the mushy peas success story. :)

I make a dynamite drunken turnips recipe!

Tons of heavy cream and butter, finished off with buttered breadcrumbs browned on top. They're a lot of work (Shredding then salting and draining then squeezing all of the water out- it's really a two day operation)

but boy! Are they good!

turnip and whipped potato

Turnip? A lot depends on what you classify a turnip as:) We always use swede - about 6" round and a golden yellow colour when cooked. Turnips are much smaller (2") and white. In the UK the definitions of swede and turnip vary by region so, although "Neeps" is an abbreviation of turnips, I believe that in Scotland it actually means swede.

I have a question about neeps and tatties. Are they mixed together, or just two things that go with the haggis and are happy, though separate, side dishes?

Serve them as side dishes - mixed together is an unusual idea:)

although "Neeps" is an abbreviation of turnips, I believe that in Scotland it actually means swede.

That's spot on Malcolm. For some reason or another the definitions change once you get north of the border, what the Scots call turnip (neeps) is what is known in England as swede.

Jimmy

That's spot on Malcolm. For some reason or another the definitions change once you get north of the border, what the Scots call turnip (neeps) is what is known in England as swede.

Jimmy

Over here, we get rudabaga (yellow turnip), which I think is what you call a swede. Grocery stores often don't know the difference and pass both off as turnip. We have not had a problem in Connecticut though.

Karie, your recipe sounds similar to grams, except for the breadcrumbs. Family folklore has it that as a twist, she would add in a few carrots, mashed of course, to sweeten up the mix. Maybe she did that when all she could get was turnip, but either way. we all enjoyed them along with a good Sunday roast.

Over here, we get rudabaga

I knew you had a funny:p name for it but I couldn't remember what it was. That's the stuff though.

BTW carrot and swede mashed together makes a lovely vegetable dish on a winter's evening:)

I make a dynamite drunken turnips recipe!

Tons of heavy cream and butter, finished off with buttered breadcrumbs browned on top. They're a lot of work (Shredding then salting and draining then squeezing all of the water out- it's really a two day operation)

but boy! Are they good!

Karie, that dish will be great for Malcolm on his forthcoming QE2 trip ;) particularly coupled with the exercise regime you recommended :) !!!

For a change l sometimes whip up potatoes and swede, with butter, a dash of cream and freshly ground pepper. A tasty and hearty winters dish goes nicely with cold rare roast beef and some good old english mustard!

Jackie :)

Karie, that dish will be great for Malcolm on his forthcoming QE2 trip ;) particularly coupled with the exercise regime you recommended :) !!!

For a change l sometimes whip up potatoes and swede, with butter, a dash of cream and freshly ground pepper. A tasty and hearty winters dish goes nicely with cold rare roast beef and some good old english mustard!

Jackie :)

And a glass, or two, of red wine.:)

Well, it's true, what all of you say!

What I use in that recipe is actually a rutabaga, often sold as turnip around the holidays (Thanksgiving) but it is also true that an actual turnip looks more like a white yam or a big fat white carrot! The rutabaga often is waxed on the outside (don't ask me why!) and can sometimes be a bit purplish. It is what has been referred to here as a swede!

Yep! good for Malcolm's diet. With enough sherry in the mix, you don't even need the red wine! Plenty of antioxidants to take care of all that butterfat! Or if there are no antioxidants in sherry, who cares? It tastes good and makes you forget your arteries are hardening as we speak! Throw in some of that good Yorkshire pudding with plenty of beef tallow and I can actually hear them cracking and creaking, and the heart gasping for breath. So crank up the bawdy singing so we don't have to hear all that wheezing and screaming coming from the left breast region!

Karie,

Subscribe to my Health Newsletter, "So What! We're All Gonna Die Anyway!"

And a glass, or two, of red wine.:)

Oh No No No!!! It has to be a Bottle or two ;) hic!

Hmph!! Now this is the effect you have all had on me since l joined this board!! I am beginning to think you are a bad influence!!:D

Jackie

I've got some of both here, so would love to try another dish, esp after the mushy peas success story. :)

Served separately on the same plate. Customary to take a bit of each on the fork each time. Lots of pepper, and a glass of good whisky. Pure heaven.

Menu is perfect, except the traditional pudding would be cranachan (sp?) - a whisky-honey-oatmeal-raspberry-cream privacy bowl of gorgeousness. My guess would be fresh rasps were difficult to come by in whichever corner of the world she was in. Where I live used to be the soft fruit capital of the world. When I was a little happyscot, we made our pocket money in the summer picking fruit. And stealing cars, obviously. Now the fields are covered in little boxes and the rasps are flown in from mars or somewhere. Apparently that's progress.

Served separately on the same plate. Customary to take a bit of each on the fork each time. Lots of pepper, and a glass of good whisky. Pure heaven.

Menu is perfect, except the traditional pudding would be cranachan (sp?) - a whisky-honey-oatmeal-raspberry-cream privacy bowl of gorgeousness. My guess would be fresh rasps were difficult to come by in whichever corner of the world she was in. Where I live used to be the soft fruit capital of the world. When I was a little happyscot, we made our pocket money in the summer picking fruit. And stealing cars, obviously. Now the fields are covered in little boxes and the rasps are flown in from mars or somewhere. Apparently that's progress.

Now that HS is what l call a real pudding! Certainly one to put hairs on ones' chest eh!!:)

May l ask what your preferred whisky is for this dish as l think it would make all the difference.

Jackie

Right, I've cracked it. Happyscot is really Delia Smith........

LET'S BE HAVIN' YER*.....

*For the benefit of the cousins, Saint Delia is a TV cook, and a staid and respectable staunch Roman Catholic. Also on the board of Norwich City Football Club.

Filmed about a year ago when, extremely 'tired and emotional', she bawled these words at the crowd. Norwich still probably lost, but the clip has been repeated on TV ad nauseum for our amusement.

*For the benefit of the cousins, Saint Delia is a TV cook, and a staid and respectable staunch Roman Catholic. Also on the board of Norwich City Football Club.

Filmed about a year ago when, extremely 'tired and emotional', she bawled these words at the crowd. Norwich still probably lost, but the clip has been repeated on TV ad nauseum for our amusement.

Still hilarious if you ask me!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8JLkwzpd0

That menu would have been a Mr Creosote if you ask me. Delicious! (except for the gin soup.)

Okay.

I admit it. I don't know what she is talking about "Where are you," and "let's be having you."

This is obviously a British Idiom that I am not familiar with,

Can someone please explain?

Is she saying the team "didn't show up?" As in they "phoned in their performance," aren't playing well, etc?

Inquisitive Karie

What happened is Norwich, her team we're playing badly (situation normal) so Delia says that they need a 12th man (there are 11 on a Football team). The 12th man will be the crowd. So she slurs rather amusingly, "where are you?" i.e. start singing and chanting for your team.

Now that HS is what l call a real pudding! Certainly one to put hairs on ones' chest eh!!:)

May l ask what your preferred whisky is for this dish as l think it would make all the difference.

Jackie

It would have to be malt, obviously. For the haggis, a tough, peaty, smoky, challenging number like Laphroig or Talisker to cut through the spices. Then with the sweet, something light and gorgeous (no, not me, although I understand your confusion) like Cardhu or Bunnahabhain (my fave, which goes down with alarming ease - think drinking the clean mountain air of a highland glen - had a bottle on my cruise provided as a thank you by beloved, lasted til half past 3 on day 2...sigh). Then for afterwards, put aside the brandy and port, and destroy a bottle of Bowmore - simply heaven in a glass.

If you haven't tried good malt as an after-dinner drink, give it a go. Raises eyebrows amongst some who consider whisky to be a pre-prandial, but rather good. Not good though with cheese or chocolate - whisky is difficult with fats.

There are a number of liquore whiskys, the best known of which is Drambuie, but to me they taste too sweet.

Good company, good whisky, a bit of the craic - pretty much why God put us here.

Ignore those who say you shouldn't take water or ice in Malt. Not a glass full of ice, but some malts are very demanding, and the water does a chemical thing that brings out the flavour so you go mmmmmm instead of ouch.

Up here, we have "sipping whisky", to be savoured and discussed, and "guzzlin' whisky", where the objective is rapid intoxication, undeserving of good malt. I frequent both schools.

Hic.

(Bells).

Many thanks, HS, but I've got the white turnips not the yellow (swede). Boo hoo. Here they wax them, I reckon it's so they last forever, and it makes it almost impossible to peel the things. No idea if they send fieldhands out with candles to do it or wait until they get them home...

And I'm sure you were just as light and gorgeous when you were a little Happyscot, yes? Made stealing the cars all the easier?

My English in-laws always served mashed potato with swede -- delicious. But a caution to those who have never cooked it before but who want to try it. It takes swede (aka yellow turnip or rutabaga) a lot longer to cook than plain white potatoes. Start the swede in water and cook for at least 20 minutes before adding the potato, or you will have a very lumpy concoction.

My English in-laws always served mashed potato with swede -- delicious. But a caution to those who have never cooked it before but who want to try it. It takes swede (aka yellow turnip or rutabaga) a lot longer to cook than plain white potatoes. Start the swede in water and cook for at least 20 minutes before adding the potato, or you will have a very lumpy concoction.

Alternatively, chop it up into smaller pieces...............:D

Alternatively, chop it up into smaller pieces...............:D

You can buy it precut in small pieces in a bag over here and you can even microwave it. :eek: That does cut down on the time to cook a proper "swede". Personally, we buy them fresh and cut them up and cook them properly.

Archived