Food on RCCL

abschnick

Changing RCCL's Menus  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Changing RCCL's Menus

• Keep menus as they are.
    • Change the menus.

but again... I don't just cruise for the food...

and again... if the food is so important to you and so unacceptable, why not choose a line where the food is better???? I mean, why are you punishing yourself with what you consider sub-standard food???

Unless there is some other reason that you choose to cruise RC...

You seem to not like a lot of things about RC and seem to be able to find all sorts of ways that they aren't living up to your expectations... why do you continue to give them your money???

If you don't like the way they are running their business, why not give your money to a cruiseline that does make you happy???

It just seems foolish to me to give someone my money when I am not happy with their product...

Again, your tone is often pretentious, snobby... wouldn't you be better off on a cruiseline that meets your high expectations????

I'm not trying to attack you but for the life of me, I can't figure out why you pay them money when you are obviously so dissatisfied with their product????

Perhaps, in my case, I hate to see a good product go into the dumper?

We've invested a good deal of money into RCI, over the years, with corporate cruises.

RCI is probably happier with cruisers who don't have high expectations. That way they will be certain not to disappoint.

The point is that RCI is dumbing down their cruise experience and it is a shame.

We certainly can take our money elsewhere. Can everyone else? Or are they doomed to accept "adequate"? Do they deserve "adequate" because they cannot afford to cruise a better line?

I'm not sure why you think if someone points out how RCI has changed for the worse is snobby. Those of us that have sailed them and other lines can't help but compare and discuss just what we have seen transpire over the years. Perhaps educating new cruisers will help them to demand excellence instead of accepting mediocrity???

It isn't just the food. It is the fact that cruiselines are once again establishing classes on board their ships. Those that can afford better service and food will get it. Those that cannot will be relegated to the cafeteria? Used to be that everyone ate together and ate the same food, regardless of how much their cabins cost. They were given the same stellar service, regardless of their status. Everyone seemed to like the new system. The system is now reverting back to where it was ages ago. Those with money will be afforded the best of food and service. Those without will have to accept "adequate".

I was the one who did the survey and I forgot to mention something when I put up the original post. On our cruise (Liberty 10-13-07) our waiter told us he was embarrased to serve some of the entrees due to cutbacks. He said that the have reduced the amount of shrimp that they serve on certain entrees. I don't actually have any problems with the food they serve, I just would like it to be changed up every now and then.

We started cruising with RC back in 91, I must say that the food and amenities were much better back then.we have sailed different lines also, as someone stated, new cruisers don't know what it used to be like.We have sailed other lines and even Celebrity is not what it used to be.We like RC for other reasons and food that is okay can be overlooked. Our last cruise (last Nov.)was the worst yet not only was the food bland but it was always served luke warm. We complained to everyone that would listen including the survey at the end of the cruise. Upon the end of our cruise we even complained to our TA who inturned call RCCL and voiced our concerns and it got us a $400.certificate off our next cruies. RC must know the problems, maybe they just don't know how to fix them.

John

Bakincakes:

Maybe RC views someone like you as being ready to graduate to Celebrity, where I'm told the food is better:)

No, seriously, they probably figure that someone like yourself will simply move on... and quite frankly, most businesses are like that these days... For every one loyal customer they lose, ten more new ones are coming through the door... mathematically, you just aren't a loss to them... but to satisfy someone like yourself, they add the specialty restaurants, and make a bit more money... I can't fault them, that's just business... They have to grow the business because, well, ummm, you aren't going to live forever and they need pax to replace you when you are gone...

BTW... I know that cruise special you were talking about... with the "tenderloin from hell"... DH was screaming at the TV... he's learned his lesson about ordering beef in the dining room... sent that pathetic excuse for beef back to the kitchen and went with a fish dish (sorry dak, we're landlocked so fish is a treat for us)

Still, I agree with you... many changes in store for the cruiselines... which is why after our Feb cruise on RC, we'll be moving on...

they want the families Bakincakes... the kids... that's where their money lies... with that as their goal... we must part ways...

We started cruising with RC back in 91, I must say that the food and amenities were much better back then.we have sailed different lines also, as someone stated, new cruisers don't know what it used to be like.We have sailed other lines and even Celebrity is not what it used to be.We like RC for other reasons and food that is okay can be overlooked. Our last cruise (last Nov.)was the worst yet not only was the food bland but it was always served luke warm. We complained to everyone that would listen including the survey at the end of the cruise. Upon the end of our cruise we even complained to our TA who inturned call RCCL and voiced our concerns and it got us a $400.certificate off our next cruies. RC must know the problems, maybe they just don't know how to fix them.

John

I think your post is very interesting John.

I think you are correct in that RCI knows what the problems are and they know how to fix them. They aren't willing to spend the money it will take to do that. If they have to throw $400 bucks at a squeeky wheel they will do it and hope that other pax will accept the bland, poorly presented fare and chalk it up to getting what they paid for.

What, if anything, was done for you in the main dining room when you complained?

I was the one who did the survey and I forgot to mention something when I put up the original post. On our cruise (Liberty 10-13-07) our waiter told us he was embarrased to serve some of the entrees due to cutbacks. He said that the have reduced the amount of shrimp that they serve on certain entrees. I don't actually have any problems with the food they serve, I just would like it to be changed up every now and then.

If a member of the waitstaff is "embarrassed" to serve what is being offered I don't even want to imagine how it is being prepared and exactly what quality of food is being bought.

I've noticed a couple of comments on portion sizes being smaller. I agree but I'm happy about it.

When DW & I started cruising (Nov 2002) we thought that the portions were appropriately sized. Small enough that we could each order our favorite and even split a 3rd if we were tempted.

But, soon after, the portions seemed to be getting larger. We're not ones to order something and only take a bite so we didn't feel right about ordering a "split dish".

Now we are seeing a return to smaller portions which is great for us:)

JMHO,

Charlie

I was away or I would have answered sooner, but I think they need to change their menus. I started back in 2002. The food was great foot 2 years, the Explorer was the greatest. Then, it was down hill with the Navigator, then Mariner, and then Freedom. I did not care for the food on the past three cruises. I think they need to change the menus.

sorry dak, we're landlocked so fish is a treat for us

No need to apologize! Some of the fish/seafood offerings actually sound good if I could eat them... I can't though... :( More choices for others, which is perfectly fine.

I think I'm going to take Bakincakes' advice on my next cruise. I'll get that darn "herb baked chicken" but ask for the green peppercorn sauce I like. Or maybe another bechamel-based sauce. Those take like a minute to prep.

Bakincakes:

Maybe RC views someone like you as being ready to graduate to Celebrity, where I'm told the food is better:)

No, seriously, they probably figure that someone like yourself will simply move on... and quite frankly, most businesses are like that these days... For every one loyal customer they lose, ten more new ones are coming through the door... mathematically, you just aren't a loss to them... but to satisfy someone like yourself, they add the specialty restaurants, and make a bit more money... I can't fault them, that's just business... They have to grow the business because, well, ummm, you aren't going to live forever and they need pax to replace you when you are gone...

BTW... I know that cruise special you were talking about... with the "tenderloin from hell"... DH was screaming at the TV... he's learned his lesson about ordering beef in the dining room... sent that pathetic excuse for beef back to the kitchen and went with a fish dish (sorry dak, we're landlocked so fish is a treat for us)

Still, I agree with you... many changes in store for the cruiselines... which is why after our Feb cruise on RC, we'll be moving on...

they want the families Bakincakes... the kids... that's where their money lies... with that as their goal... we must part ways...

And as long as the "new" pax are willing to accept inferior products for more money they will have no problems, i am sure.:)

I don't view X as a "graduation" from RCI...if you really want to graduate try Crystal or Seabourne.;)

RCI wants pax that are willing to overlook quality for quantity. They will dazzle them with rock walls and mini golf courses and feed them hot dogs and frozen burritos.

Reminds me of the guy who bought a pile of horse dung and when asked why he bought it in the first place answered that he was sure with all the horse sh** there just had to be a pony in there somewhere.;)

No need to apologize! Some of the fish/seafood offerings actually sound good if I could eat them... I can't though... :( More choices for others, which is perfectly fine.

I think I'm going to take Bakincakes' advice on my next cruise. I'll get that darn "herb baked chicken" but ask for the green peppercorn sauce I like. Or maybe another bechamel-based sauce. Those take like a minute to prep.

Do it. Actually the good chefs are thrilled when pax do ask for something special. Gives them a chance to actually do what they were trained to do, rather than just bang out "entrees" for the masses.

I don't view X as a "graduation" from RCI...if you really want to graduate try Crystal or Seabourne.;)

RCI wants pax that are willing to overlook quality for quantity. They will dazzle them with rock walls and mini golf courses and feed them hot dogs and frozen burritos.

Reminds me of the guy who bought a pile of horse dung and when asked why he bought it in the first place answered that he was sure with all the horse sh** there just had to be a pony in there somewhere.;)

But for them, if you chose X, you would still be in their "family".... they're heading down the Carnival path, from what I see, trying to be all things to all people by offering different strokes for different folks...

As for the rock walls and such... exactly... appeals to families, kids... those who think Outback Steakhouse is a great place to get a steak:)

Archived