Does most insurance cover air dev fees?

happy cruzer

Hi, I am going to delve into my travel policy from HTH but thought I would ask here too.

If you book cruise and cruise air (open jaw on a TA) and pay the air deviation fee plus any extra charges, is the fee and the extra charge covered by the travel insurance? Does it matter when you book the air deviation or when you cancel? For example I am thinking of booking the air deviation before final payment, if I were to cancel before final payment I would get my deposit back and be able to transfer my insurance to another trip - What would happen to the air deviation fees and extra air charges???

Anyone had this happen before? All info appreciated. Thanks.

Just as every car insurance policy is different, every homeowners policy is different, so it is with travel insurance. Even policies from the same carrier at different times may reflect new terms and conditions. So rather than make any general statement, I'd say "Read the fine print directly".

Hi, I am going to delve into my travel policy from HTH but thought I would ask here too.

If you book cruise and cruise air (open jaw on a TA) and pay the air deviation fee plus any extra charges, is the fee and the extra charge covered by the travel insurance? Does it matter when you book the air deviation or when you cancel? For example I am thinking of booking the air deviation before final payment, if I were to cancel before final payment I would get my deposit back and be able to transfer my insurance to another trip - What would happen to the air deviation fees and extra air charges???

Anyone had this happen before? All info appreciated. Thanks.

It states on the HTH website that "TRIP COST" is covered for cancellation for a VALID reason (not just because you changed your mind). I could certainly make a case for air deviation and extra air charges being part of "trip cost" so long as you insured for entire "trip cost".

Why would you pay for air deviation and "extra air charges"??? If you are going to go that route, book your own flights.

I am really curious why you picked the HTH policy? The feature about pre existing conditions is very good. But most of the policy that you would be likely to use (medical, etc.) is "secondary insurance", even lost luggage (not delayed luggage). Was the policy that much cheaper????

I purchased an HTH policy a couple of weeks ago for an upcoming cruise, but only because DH had a heart attack 5 weeks ago and I hadn't purchased insurance yet (stupid me!!!). It was about 1.5 times higher than the Travelex Lite policies I purchase for EVERY trip (business travel especially) outside the USA. And I am not getting nearly as good coverage. Just curious????

You guys are the best!

Ok, more details.

I bought the HTH policy in March of this year. I have read the fine print and it does say it will cover any payments or deposits for the travel covered. So I am 99.99999% sure that means the air dev fees and any extra air charged.

The reasons I picked HTH trip protector over Travelex Lite were-

The medi evac is 500,000 with HTH vs. 50,000 with Travelex, In the middle of the ocean, the larger amount made sense to me.

The medical coverage on HTH is 100,000 which can be use in total for one of the insured or split up for the two insured. Travelex limits the total for each cruiser to 50,000. So if only one cruiser gets an ailment that costs say 75,000 then HTH would cover the entire amount and Travelex would cover 50,000.

Also Primary vs. Seconday doesn't really matter to me. I understand it that either will still try to collect from any insurance you have so whether they do that after cutting me a check or before is ok with me. If the insurance covered you without filing with other insurance then that might be an advantage in that your other insurer might never see a claim.

So now the reason for air deviation. I have booked a 2 for 1, free air special with Oceania. They really discount the air. I have looked at what I can purchase and it is about 50% more. So I am going to check into their air deviation fee to add a couple of days at the end of the trip in Barcelona. If it is too much extra, I will not deviate but if it is only about 100pp plus the 75 fee then I probably would do it. I just wanted to know if I had to cancel for a covered reason before the penalty period would the fee be covered. And to see if anyone had to do that and what their experience was. Reading the policy is one thing but what actually happens to folks may not be the same.

Thanks for the help.

Just as every car insurance policy is different, every homeowners policy is different, so it is with travel insurance. Even policies from the same carrier at different times may reflect new terms and conditions. So rather than make any general statement, I'd say "Read the fine print directly".

Actually, that is not quite true. Every state requires standard forms be used for home owners and auto insurance. There might be minor marketing gizmos added on, but the polices (within each state) are basically the same.

This is certainly not true of travel protection. Two reasons:

1) The insurance forms are not standardized

2) Much of the coverage is done under warranty and assistance labels and therefore nearly unregulated.

Paul

You guys are the best!

The medi evac is 500,000 with HTH vs. 50,000 with Travelex, In the middle of the ocean, the larger amount made sense to me.

You can add additional evac coverage and still not reach the price of an HTH policy. But you can only get $250,00pp total.

The medical coverage on HTH is 100,000 which can be use in total for one of the insured or split up for the two insured. Travelex limits the total for each cruiser to 50,000. So if only one cruiser gets an ailment that costs say 75,000 then HTH would cover the entire amount and Travelex would cover 50,000.

Again for a small fee, Travelex Lite will allow additional add on medical insurance up to $100,000pp.

I understand it that either will still try to collect from any insurance you have so whether they do that after cutting me a check or before is ok with me. If the insurance covered you without filing with other insurance then that might be an advantage in that your other insurer might never see a claim.

This is EXACTLY the reason to have primary coverage. You only have to file once-to the travel insurer. You DO NOT have to file any type of claim with your health insurer. With secondary insurance, YOU have to file with your own personal health insurance, THEN file the SAME claim with travel insurer. Travel insurance will then pick up what your own health insurance does not pay.

So yes, it definitely makes a difference in how fast your claim is processed. But my main concern is rates rising for a claim on your health insurance.

I'll stick with my Travelex Lite policies and add on the additional evac/medical coverage. Now that DH has had the heart attack, I will have to be more diligent about buying my policies for international business travel.

Thanks for the additional info.

Travelex primary may still file against your policy see post 27 of this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=596605&page=2

I have purchased the policies for about 4 years. Have had 2 claims for medical-one in Asia for very expensive antibiotics and "American" hospital emergency room. No one has ever even asked for the name of my health insurer. And it is a BC/BS policy which does not cover out of the US, so no help there.

Sure, they COULD file against my insurer, but I will not have to file with my own insurer first, wait until I get the denial letter, and then refile everything again. Too much hassle. And I am saving money up front-if the travel insurance company decides to go after my personal health insurer, it's on their dime and time, not mine.

Sounds good. That's why there are many policies to choose from. FYI there was only $40 difference between HTH and Travelex for me and DH total; so for us we got the extra/different coverage for less money; but I surely know each case is different.

Makes us all happy.

Archived