Cape Liberty, NJ transfer to PHL - Need ideas!

suznf

What is the best way to get from Cape Liberty in Bayonne NJ to the Philidelphia airport PHL for a 2:30 flight? We will have disembarked by 9 am on a Friday. I am hoping someone familiar w/the area can give us some direction...Train, plane, automobile, bus, shuttle...what would be affordable (ok cheap;) ), reliable and effective (get him there on time!) for my DS21?:confused: Any advice is appreciated!!

What is the best way to get from Cape Liberty in Bayonne NJ to the Philidelphia airport PHL for a 2:30 flight? We will have disembarked by 9 am on a Friday. I am hoping someone familiar w/the area can give us some direction...Train, plane, automobile, bus, shuttle...what would be affordable (ok cheap;) ), reliable and effective (get him there on time!) for my DS21?:confused: Any advice is appreciated!!

With that tight time frame, I would take a taxi to EWR and get a rental car-either one way or return. It will actually take you longer to fly than to drive (about 2.5 hours drive).

There are some private buses that run from Philly to NYC, but I think your time frame is just too tight to consider anything but a rental car. Your son will have be at the airport no later than 12:45.

Greatam....Thank You Thank You Thank You!!! :D DH got on the phone and was able to change the flight time w/o any problem (this is a "rewards" ticket...)

Ok ...so now his flight is at 4:30 and he will need to be there by 2:30. What is his best bet to get from Cape Liberty or EWR to PHL on a friday morning?

Greatam....Thank You Thank You Thank You!!! :D DH got on the phone and was able to change the flight time w/o any problem (this is a "rewards" ticket...)

Ok ...so now his flight is at 4:30 and he will need to be there by 2:30. What is his best bet to get from Cape Liberty or EWR to PHL on a friday morning?

Amtrak takes about an hour, costs at least $66.00, and you will have to get to Newark Penn Station as well as get a taxi from the Philly train station to the airport. There are local NJ buses (NJ Transit) and local NJ Transit trains that go to Philly (30th Street station-same as Amtrak) from Newark Penn Station as well as Greyhound.

There is a SEPTA train that leaves from Newark Penn Station at 10:25AM, arrives Philly 30th St Station at 12:27PM, with a stop in Trenton. Cost is less than $20.00. There is also a Greyhound bus that leaves from the same place and arrives the same place-price is about the same as the train. Greyhound leaves about an hour earlier with no stops. Just take a taxi from the port to Newark Penn Station, then a taxi to the PHL airport.

SEPTA trains do not serve newark airport....NJ transit will connect in Trenton from EWR airport TO Septa but septa goes only into TRENTON!

www.septa.com

www.njtransit.com

Amtrak from EWR or Newark Penn, while more expensive than NJT would be my choice....i would rather not change trains in trenton...(i live there, i can say that!) Then, at 30th street, switch to septa regional rail.....

SEPTA trains do not serve newark airport....NJ transit will connect in Trenton from EWR airport TO Septa but septa goes only into TRENTON!

You are correct-sorry. But aren't the NEC (Northeast Corridor) trains part of SEPTA's R-7 service through from Philly?

Either way, Amtrak or the combination train will get you to the 30th St. Philly Station-then a cab to the airport would be easier than trying to find regional rail. This trip is for a 21 yo from California. JMHO

You are correct-sorry. But aren't the NEC (Northeast Corridor) trains part of SEPTA's R-7 service through from Philly?

Either way, Amtrak or the combination train will get you to the 30th St. Philly Station-then a cab to the airport would be easier than trying to find regional rail. This trip is for a 21 yo from California. JMHO

No....NJTransit and SEPTA are 2 different states' transit systems....the NJ Transit stays in NJ and NY...doesn't go to PA for some reason.....You'd still have to switch trains in Trenton to Septa....(we are a little weird here in NJ!:eek: )

Not sure how much a cab is from 30th street to the airport.....it's $25 FROM the airport to DT, but I have a feeling it is more to go from DT to the airport.....

cab fare from center city philly to the airport should also be $25. I agree about avoiding the trenton station if possible (i use to live there too). I'd take Amtrak from Newark to Philly's 30th street station and then get a cab. Cab might be more than $25 because the 30th Street station is outside of center city...so I"d guess maybe $10 to center city and then another $25 to the airport... (but this is mostly a guess).

Here is the train schedule from 30th Street Station to the Airport.

http://septa.org/service/sched/r1_wk.html

If the schedule works for you I suggest you take it, it's fast and easy. If not convenient, taxi fare from center city to the Airport is a $26.25 flat fare. However, I'm not sure if 30th Street is considered Center City.

cab fare from center city philly to the airport should also be $25. I agree about avoiding the trenton station if possible (i use to live there too). I'd take Amtrak from Newark to Philly's 30th street station and then get a cab. Cab might be more than $25 because the 30th Street station is outside of center city...so I"d guess maybe $10 to center city and then another $25 to the airport... (but this is mostly a guess).

There would be no reason for the cab driver to drive into center city. He would just get on the Schuylkill at 30th Street.

I know that the cab wouldn't drive into center city. I guess I wasn't clear. My point was just that the price could be more than $25 because the train station is further from the airport than other center city locations.

No, it's really not further from the train station, using the Schuylkill Expressway and getting on at 30th Street.

Archived