Passport needed for drive to Emerald Lake?

cruisecontroller

I can't find mine. We'll be driving from Skagway to Emerald Lake on June 24. What alternatives are acceptable?

Thanks

First Alaska Cruise - Sapphire Princess
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;6;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Passport [B]OR[/B] certified birth certificate and government photo ID (drivers license).

There is a stop when you enter Canada and then on the return when you re-enter the United States.

cruisecontroller - I recently saw pictures that someone posted (of course I can't remember who it was) and they did the same thing from Skagway. If you don't mind, could you tell me where you got the car, how much, where you're driving, how long it will take? After seeing the pictures, I'm rethinking the White Pass Rail. I've never been to Alaska and want to make sure every moment counts! Thanks in advance. Kim

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;07;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Alaska Bound on the Sapphire Princess

Thanks Coral. I finally found my passport, so I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Kim, I've got a car reserved through Avis for about $65. I got the idea here on CC, and felt it would be perfect for my wife and I. We love to pack a lunch and "get lost". There is a great website that details the drive in narrative (with pictures) using a mile by mile format.. I think it is explorenorth.com or something similar. Hopefully, someone else can post the link.

I'll report back after the trip.

First Alaska Cruise - Sapphire Princess
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;6;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

We did Avis. $69 + tax and we got a Toyota Highlander. Gas for the trip was about $18 at 2.59/gal. Left Skagway office at 820 and went all the way to Emerald Lake with a 30 min stop in Carcross and 30 min at the Cinnamon Cache for lunch. Stopped at various waterfalls, overlooks, lakes, Alaska and Yukon signs, border, etc for a couple of mins at each stop and on the way back stopped for about 20 mins at the cemetary and falls just outside of Skagway. Drove back to let everyone off at the ship and parked at the marina so I could get on and change clothes. Picked everyone back up, drove to town to turn car in and was there at 4pm. We actually made it back into town at 3 and could have just turned the car in then. No way to get lost if you do a u-e at Emerald Lake and head back the way you came.
Excellent drive and well worth the time. Make sure the driver reads the mile marker reports before going so they have a general idea what to look for as well.

Archived