Interning

Wow, that sounds like such a great experience. What is the class called and what do you do when you get on board??

I think its just called "Cruise Industry Practices" or something of that nature. It's a 3 or 4 day cruise where you get a bunch of "backstage" tours, meet the captain, talk to the crew, etc. etc. You're allowed to enjoy the rest of the cruise as you see fit, but I'm sure alcohol is not allowed (by school policy, anything school related cannot involve alcohol). Its just like a normal class in any other sense; for the rest of the semester its classroom work. However, I think the cost is $500 not including anything but the cruise (so you still have to pay for the class/books/any incidentals on the cruise), which seems a bit inflated, and you have to share a room with a stranger.

I bet it could be fun and the people learn a lot, but its still too much for me.

Although I am unaware of such internships at least aboard the ship. Maybe you want to work Port Side Miami, not sure from your request.

Two key things to do, one write to the top of each cruise line and let them know you would like to intern with them specifically telling them why there. Show that you know and like their product and would like an opportunity to learn more about the product as an intern. Some highly desirable internships end up unpaid, but if ship board your room and chow are free so at least that cuts down on costs, just don't make many ship to shore calls.

2nd option, if you are aboard a cruise in the near future, write a handwritten letter (you can do this ahead and insert names once on board) detailing your background and ask if you can set a time to meet the Hotel Director to talk more about his job and what (s)he runs...and see if you can follow him/her for a couple hours to see them in action. In person then ask about internship opportunities, you never know they may be able to invite you aboard for a Summer at Sea. You could send a similar note to the captain, however when we get right down to it, teh captain is more into running the ship and although the boss of hotel director does not really get into the hotel ops directly, that is generally speaking some captains are more into those things than others, while some are seamen at heart and just landed on a cruise ship for the better food than on a tanker....also more folks than anything other than perhaps an aircraft carreir.

Remember you want to make a connection with the corp folks in Miami or the hotel director to win them over to helping you. My fellowship in grad school came from making a good impression on the right people and a position was created and I was paid (due to where this was, not hospitality, I will leave it at that) and you may find these are the best experiences because they are not a preprogrammed position that is filled to have you running chores etc...when they are more freeform I see a better overall learning experience.

Best of luck to you!!!

FINALLY! Someone who actually answered the OP question. Way to go Rancher Dave!

Archived