Interning

Another poster was asking the same thing and I will tell you the same thing I told her, I think you are too young. Wait until you are in college and then there are amazing internships available. My daughter did Microsoft in Seattle two summers ago and this past summer she interned for Google in San Francisco and they now offered her a full time job for when she graduates in May.

If you are serious you should go into hotel management program.

The OP asked for advice and that is what I gave him.

And to answer your advice- I actually am in college nor did I ever state I wasn't. I am actually majoring in hospitality and tourism management so I think I'm fine when it comes to that.

Does anyone have any other advice for me??

And to answer your advice- I actually am in college nor did I ever state I wasn't. I am actually majoring in hospitality and tourism management so I think I'm fine when it comes to that.

Sorry I thought you were still in high school,from some of your previous posts and I shouldn't have assumed. You might want to call RCCL in Miami their human resources dept and find out who would be in charge of internships. They might even send recruiters to your school if your school has a big program. I would also go talk to the job placement office on your campus and/or your guidance counselor to see if they have any contacts.

Yeah, contact your faculty adviser for help.

I actually have a meeting scheduled with her at 4pm today for an hour. I thought I would try Cruisecritic and see if any of you Royal Caribbean brainiacs had any advice :cool: :D

Good for you. You see, in college, the internet alone is not a good source for information. Your best bet is to maybe go to the library on your campus and get help with a research Librarian concerning addresses, Company background, officers of the company, etc. Learn about a company's business model by researching any business cases done on the company and similar companies. You know, stuff you would normally learn how to do AFTER you get out of college.

By posting such a question on a message board, my first thought is someone asking me "Hey, will you do my term paper for me?" The best someone posting so randomly could hope for is someone stating "Hey, I know Joe in Human Resources he'll help you out."

Either way, it looks like a lazy approach to something important like your possible future career.

Good for you. You see, in college, the internet alone is not a good source for information. Your best bet is to maybe go to the library on your campus and get help with a research Librarian concerning addresses, Company background, officers of the company, etc. Learn about a company's business model by researching any business cases done on the company and similar companies. You know, stuff you would normally learn how to do AFTER you get out of college.

By posting such a question on a message board, my first thought is someone asking me "Hey, will you do my term paper for me?" The best someone posting so randomly could hope for is someone stating "Hey, I know Joe in Human Resources he'll help you out."

Either way, it looks like a lazy approach to something important like your possible future career.

I don't understand your point. The op isn't trying to get you to do his homework for him. He is trying to get information about internships with a company and asking in a place that might have someone with experience in this area. What is wrong with that? :confused:

ETA: I spent 4 years in college and 2 years in grad school and set foot in the library maybe 5 times. ;)

How on earth is this considered a lazy approach?? I was just asking for advice on a message board specific to the cruise line. I am doing a lot of side work on my own; I just got back from the meeting with my hospitality and tourism adviser and she is helping me in finding an internship, whether it be here in Manhattan, down in Florida, or even on one of their ships. I was not simply asking for someone to hand me an internship, I just wanted to get some additional information from anyone that has any tips or maybe even from someone who has interned with RCCL.

How on earth is this considered a lazy approach?? I was just asking for advice on a message board specific to the cruise line. I am doing a lot of side work on my own; I just got back from the meeting with my hospitality and tourism adviser and she is helping me in finding an internship, whether it be here in Manhattan, down in Florida, or even on one of their ships. I was not simply asking for someone to hand me an internship, I just wanted to get some additional information from anyone that has any tips or maybe even from someone who has interned with RCCL.

Keep us posted on what happens! :D

ETA: I spent 4 years in college and 2 years in grad school and set foot in the library maybe 5 times. ;)

Amen. I have three undergrad degrees (B.S. Biology, B.N. Nursing, B.A. Anthropology and English Lit) and will be entering law school and have rarely stepped foot in a library. I can access almost all books, journals, articles, etc via online.

Sorry I thought you were still in high school,from some of your previous posts and I shouldn't have assumed. You might want to call RCCL in Miami their human resources dept and find out who would be in charge of internships. They might even send recruiters to your school if your school has a big program. I would also go talk to the job placement office on your campus and/or your guidance counselor to see if they have any contacts.

When Joe first started posting, he *was* in high school.

But now he's a College Man. ;)

Joe, here is the link to employment opportunities at RC. I have no idea if there is any information about internships there. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/career.do

I think a lot of us "old" people (parents) don't realize how things have changed at college. We just did a campus tour at UCI last week and I was amazed at all the laptop computers. Everyone had them, everyone used them for taking notes and it was just part of life that you learn to dodge cables & cords running across walk ways. Even books in HS are online now. ;)

Wishing you luck in your endeavors, Enchantment4! :)

Does anyone have any advice on how one would go about getting an internship with RCCL?

Joe :D

cldude126@msn.com

Although I am unaware of such internships at least aboard the ship. Maybe you want to work Port Side Miami, not sure from your request.

Two key things to do, one write to the top of each cruise line and let them know you would like to intern with them specifically telling them why there. Show that you know and like their product and would like an opportunity to learn more about the product as an intern. Some highly desirable internships end up unpaid, but if ship board your room and chow are free so at least that cuts down on costs, just don't make many ship to shore calls.

2nd option, if you are aboard a cruise in the near future, write a handwritten letter (you can do this ahead and insert names once on board) detailing your background and ask if you can set a time to meet the Hotel Director to talk more about his job and what (s)he runs...and see if you can follow him/her for a couple hours to see them in action. In person then ask about internship opportunities, you never know they may be able to invite you aboard for a Summer at Sea. You could send a similar note to the captain, however when we get right down to it, teh captain is more into running the ship and although the boss of hotel director does not really get into the hotel ops directly, that is generally speaking some captains are more into those things than others, while some are seamen at heart and just landed on a cruise ship for the better food than on a tanker....also more folks than anything other than perhaps an aircraft carreir.

Remember you want to make a connection with the corp folks in Miami or the hotel director to win them over to helping you. My fellowship in grad school came from making a good impression on the right people and a position was created and I was paid (due to where this was, not hospitality, I will leave it at that) and you may find these are the best experiences because they are not a preprogrammed position that is filled to have you running chores etc...when they are more freeform I see a better overall learning experience.

Best of luck to you!!!

Thank you for all of the advice!! Also, thanks for the links Carol and Donna :D At least some people here like to help out!!

My pleasure, fellow Long Islander! Good luck, and come back and let us know how you make out in your pursuit!

I think some people forget how technology has affected the way we do things in college. If I'm in the library, I'm only using a computer to do something. I've only used the books/journals that are in there maybe twice and once was because it was mandatory that I use a hard copy of a source. :/

Good luck to the OP! I'm a hospitality major and I've put some thought into the cruise line industry. Unfortunately, the only class we offer on the cruise industry involves going on an outrageously priced Disney cruise so I can't afford to take it! :(

I think some people forget how technology has affected the way we do things in college. If I'm in the library, I'm only using a computer to do something. I've only used the books/journals that are in there maybe twice and once was because it was mandatory that I use a hard copy of a source. :/

Good luck to the OP! I'm a hospitality major and I've put some thought into the cruise line industry. Unfortunately, the only class we offer on the cruise industry involves going on an outrageously priced Disney cruise so I can't afford to take it! :(

Wow, that sounds like such a great experience. What is the class called and what do you do when you get on board??

Archived