Volendam Nov.3 - Need a Favor

Micmac

Hi all -

I know that several of you will be on the Volendam on Nov. 3. If you think about it, can you make a mental note to look at the ramps used in port for Aruba, Curacao and Costa Rica?

We travel with a child in a power chair. While the HAL gangways are handicapped accessible, the ones from the port often have steps. A post on another thread indicates that they were not using the HAL gangways last year in the Panama Canal, requiring 3 - 4 steps which would be impossible for Hannah (picking her chair up and carrying scares her to death after they almost dumped her overboard on a catamaran excursion several years ago)

Since TA can get no consistent answer from the disability office, thought I would do one better - appeal to CC members leaving next week! If possible, a picture of ramps would be great so that we can be prepared in advance (although not as prepared as Ruth and Jim!) or just convince her that she doesn't want to go ashore in a particular port.

Thanks in advance and have a great trip!

Michelle

P.S. We will be in 7034 if anyone wants to leave a surprise in the bible!

Michelle - I'm sailing on Nov. 3rd and will try to remember to pay attention in these three ports. But I need to remind you that the angle of the gangway is constantly changing due to the tides. So what may be a gentle slope can change quite dramatically during the course of the day, or from cruise to cruise due to tidal changes. Also, they normally have a "flatter" ramp/gangway for the mobility-impaired. I have difficulty with stairs after two knee replacements, so this is something I'm aware of.

I know that several of you will be on the Volendam on Nov. 3. If you think about it, can you make a mental note to look at the ramps used in port for Aruba, Curacao and Costa Rica?

We travel with a child in a power chair. While the HAL gangways are handicapped accessible, the ones from the port often have steps. A post on another thread indicates that they were not using the HAL gangways last year in the Panama Canal, requiring 3 - 4 steps which would be impossible for Hannah (picking her chair up and carrying scares her to death after they almost dumped her overboard on a catamaran excursion several years ago)

Since TA can get no consistent answer from the disability office, thought I would do one better - appeal to CC members leaving next week! If possible, a picture of ramps would be great so that we can be prepared in advance (although not as prepared as Ruth and Jim!) or just convince her that she doesn't want to go ashore in a particular port.

Michelle, I will be happy to keep and eye out for such features while aboard the Volendam next week, and I'll photograph what and when and where I can. I'll try to post my observations on this thread (if I can find it again).

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Michelle,

I wanted to bring this thread back up and answer your question directly.

To the best of my memory, the ramps used at all ports wheelchair-accessible. Sometimes -- particularly at high tide -- the slope would be a bit extreme, but otherwise it was fine.

The biggest issue at the Terminal in Colon would be the fact that one has to go up to cross a street through a skyway, before descending again to the shops pier-side. There is an elevator for use, but it would probably be a slow process. Those who can walk use the Escalators.

I don't know if this will help, but there was a very nice person, Tom, in a power wheelchair on our Volendam cruise on Oct. 23rd. He was able to get off the ship in Costa Rica and Okie Dokie tours had a van with wheel chair access. If you read through the roll call you might be able to get his email address or contact him through these boards.

Archived