Only 6 hours in Anchorage-Sleep???

mrss

My 19 year old daughter and I are very excited about our first Alaska cruise on June 27th. We get into Anchorage at 10:00 pm and we catch the train to Seward at 6:45 am. The hotel prices are sky high, especially for only 6 hours! Any suggestions?? Is there a place in the airport to rest? By the way, we booked the train for the 2 of us for only $118 total, much less than the $98 per person the cruise line wanted.

No you aren't going to be able to sleep in the airport, they close the gates at late night after the 0100 flights leave. I wouldn't even consider it my self. But if money spent on a hotel is that objectionable to you perhaps see if priceline is an option??? You still need to cab downtown. You can't sleep in the train station either.

A couple of things to consider. First is the time change - you're an hour earlier than Pacific daylight time, hence 4 hours behind eastern time, in other words midnight = 4 AM, 6:45 AM = 10:45, etc. Second, note that sunset is 11:40 PM on that day and sunrise is 4:25, and there is no twilight; not quite midnight sun but pretty close. It just doesn't get dark at all.

If your flight arrives at 11, you probably wouldn't have your bags in hand and be able to taxi downtown until close to midnight. If you get a motel near the airport be sure you have a reliable wakeup call.

I might be tempted to email one of the big downtown hotels - Hilton, Cook, Marriott (probably not the Sheraton but you could try) and see what they'd charge you to drop your bags with the concierge, then you go and have breakfast someplace, walk around, and get down to Elderberry Park (5th and M sts.) for fresh air and watch the sunrise behind the Chugach mts. You will be groggy, but you can chill on the ship.

Or find a taxi and have the driver take you to Potter Marsh, off the Seward Highway at the south end of town - major bird sanctuary, sometimes biggish critters, and a view to die for. You'll have to pay for the cab's clock time, but it won't cost as much as a hotel and it will be fascinating. Along the same lines, maybe hire a cab for a late-night/early morning flat-rate tour of Anchorage - you'd be surprised how interesting a place it is in the late night light.

Great idea above- be sure to sleep on the plane. Would be a benefit to see some of Anchorage.

Has anyone ever stayed in a hostel? They have one for only $22 for a private room for two

Yes- but verify if they have limits on the hours they accept guests?? This would be a good option if sleep is needed, take 2 alarm clocks with you for a wake up.

Archived