Elephant Trekking in Phuket

Lauren Spray

Has anyone gone elephant trekking while in Phuket? If so, who did you use to make the reservation? I would like to go with a company that supports humane and ethical treatment for the elephants. I will have some time on my own while my husband has a massage at the Banyan Tree.

Thanks for any input.

• 2 weeks later...

As nobody else has been able to help, I'll tell you what we did (although I can't remember the name of the company) In Patong, there are kiosks selling all sorts of trips and we booked there. We made our own way to the elephant "camp" by taxi. Although it was not the most scenic elephant ride we have been on, we were very impressed with the concern and care shown to the elephants and also the fact that the profits went to elephant welfare.In general, mahouts in Thailand love their elephant and treat them very well, unlike some countries in the world. Sorry I can't be of more help

They were offering elephant rides at the Noogn Nooch (gads, I think that's how it's spelt) Botannical Gardens, we then drove to Phuket for lunch as part of our package, so it can't be too far away.

There was an elephant show and you were allowed to wander backstage to see that the elephants were being treated well - they seemed contented to us, at least.

They offered 15 minutes and half an hour tours of the botannical gardens, which were exquisite, by the way. I wasn't allowed to take one because I'd just had back surgery, but the folks on our tour that did talked about it for the rest of the cruise!

Charlie

Archived