Zipline in Hawaii and..

cruznut1111

So many choices for ziplines in Hawaii, we were originally booked on the one in Kauai NCL calls “treetop” and, after reading the revealed books, we switched to the one they call “canopy.” The reason for us was the length of the “zips.” The treetop appeared to have zips @ 300 ft long, the one we chose had zips in the 700 ft range.

Now, I have been having trouble formulating what to say about this adventure because I absolutely loved it, I’m glad I chose it, and would do it again. But - if you were to ask me if I thought it was a safe as it could be, I would have to say no. Someone, sometime is going to get hurt, badly, because there are too many places where safety is an afterthought. Sorry, but there it is. I’ll explain.

I’ve zipped before in Ketchican and that was a very safe course and adventure. Yes, we were up in the trees and walking across rope bridges, but it was well thought out and safety was a priority. I can recommend it to anyone, everyone, who can get themselves up the path. (They plan in a lot of rest breaks.) You will have two safety lines, one on you at every moment. It’s a great time.

Now, back to the Canopy Zip (BackCountry Adventures, also own the one at Princeville) . This is a beautiful area and the equipment that they did have was well cared for. We aren’t talking anything rickety, rusty or worn, just limited.

The folks who work with you are fun and helpful. If you stay aware of your surroundings and follow instructions, you should be fine. Pay close attention when they put your pulley on the line, make sure it is down tight. There is only you and the single zip line, no backup line above. You do not have a safety line and there will be times when you will be on a slanted, muddy platform on the edge of a hill with no protection. Don’t step back without looking, it‘s a long way down. Make sure you are secure with your footing before you let them unhook you.

This is a very rustic course, no bathrooms in the valley. Nice warehouse, with bathrooms and gift shop, where you gear up and prepare for a great ride to the course.

Bottom line, if you are alert, aware and don’t mind a calculated risk- ENJOY. If there is a fuzzy-minded klutz in your group, try another option.

I’ve titled this thread for comparisons. Hopefully more who have taken the different courses will add in and we can get a good detailed overview of all the options.

We did the Haleakala zipline, and we were left sort of non-plussed. one guide was good, the other had been doing it for way too long. I chose it as I wanted to get my parents in as many hard-hats as possible during the cruise, and it was fun but I wouldn't do it again. it was extremely safe, we never felt that there was any concern for our safety. Another family in our group had there 80+ grandpa with them and he had absolutely no trouble handling it. i don't know how long the individual lines were, but they started out short to longer. i guess I expected to be wowed by the experience and I just wasn't. but I do have lots of pictures of my parents in hard hats!

:)

The folks who work with you are fun and helpful. If you stay aware of your surroundings and follow instructions, you should be fine. Pay close attention when they put your pulley on the line, make sure it is down tight. There is only you and the single zip line, no backup line above. You do not have a safety line and there will be times when you will be on a slanted, muddy platform on the edge of a hill with no protection. Don’t step back without looking, it‘s a long way down. Make sure you are secure with your footing before you let them unhook you.

I don't mean to be dense, but I have never 'zipped' and am considering it for myself and my 3 children (19, 17, and 11). We are not klutzes, but . . . what do you mean, exactly? We haven't been, but we should be paying careful attention . . . but if we need to know what you mean by a back up line, we don't. If we need to know what you mean about stepping back without looking, I don't know what you mean. Why would we step back? Don't you step forward and zip, once they attach you?

Please enlighten me. I AM a careful mom, and although I want to plan the trip of a lifetime, I don't want to risk my children's lives!

Leslie

:)

I don't mean to be dense, but I have never 'zipped' and am considering it for myself and my 3 children (19, 17, and 11). We are not klutzes, but . . . what do you mean, exactly? We haven't been, but we should be paying careful attention . . . but if we need to know what you mean by a back up line, we don't. If we need to know what you mean about stepping back without looking, I don't know what you mean. Why would we step back? Don't you step forward and zip, once they attach you?

Please enlighten me. I AM a careful mom, and although I want to plan the trip of a lifetime, I don't want to risk my children's lives!

Leslie

No way would I consider taking an 11 on the canopy zip, but I think the treetop might be good. Let's see if someone here can confirm that treetop has safety lines. If they don't then the picture I saw with the safety line was from Maui.

There are many types of courses of zips. Let me explain what I liked about the one in Ketchican and why I could give you a big "go for it" with your 11 year old and the older ones.

The excitement level was just as high, but there were actually two lines, the one your pulley is attached to and another above it that a spare line (hooked to the waist) runs along. If the unthinkable happened and the zipline were to snap, you should be held by the safety line.

Now, when the pulley was detached from the zip, the safety line stayed hooked until your 2nd safety line was attached to the next station. You were never without a line holding you.

A good argument could be made that the lines were only needed for this course because everything was so high in the trees, but there was a height factor in the canopy one as well because the platforms did run from one side of the valley to the other.

The takeoff platforms were fine. Where I saw unnecessary risk was in the landing ramp platforms. They were on the edges of the cliffs, at an angle (so you could land easily) and they were very muddy and slick. What I noticed was that the "catcher" had such a short safety line (which he had to use when he lost his footing on a platform) that he wasn't getting the folks off the platform and on to solid ground before he unclipped their pulley. They were standing free on this slick, angled platform hanging over the edge of the valley. I refused to allow him to unclip me until I had one foot off the wood. Not as easy for him, but much safer for me. I noticed my husband did the same.

Why would someone step back? Trying to get out of the way, sheer excitement, confusion, imbalance, or my old favorite - klutz.

Thanks for all your help. NOW I see what you mean. Goodness, I don't want to be loose on a slippery, slanted landing board! I will ask them about this when I call.

So, this would be too scary for my 11yo? They have an age limit of 12 and a weight limit of 100 lbs. He will be 11 years, 11 months when we are in HI, and he weighs 100 lbs. I was going to ask if they would overlook the fact he is 28 days too young. :-)

So: tell me why you wouldn't take him on this. They seem to think it is okay, but I know what that sometimes means: they are just willing to separate you from your $$.

Leslie

P.S. THanks for all your help!

So: tell me why you wouldn't take him on this. Leslie

quote]

You're kidding, right?

No, your kid probably won't be scared because he won't even see the dangers.

You know he isn't old enough. You know he barely weighs enough to make it across. You still want to do it. Do it.

I just wanted to give enough information so folks could make an informed judgement before they are standing on the cliff. Don't think anything else I could say would change your mind.

I'm guessing Treetop has a 9yr age limit because of safety precautions. The best result I can hope for out of this post is that some changes are made soon to the canopy practices.

I wouldn't be here asking questions if I knew!

ALL I know about ziplining is what I have gleaned on various websites over the last few days. The Fodor's book has very little, and refers to it as such a new activity that it's description is still being refined. I had never even heard of it before this past month.

I don't have the advantage of your experience. So, no, I am not kidding.

If you want a change to the 'canopy' experience, I would suggest emails to the canopy outfitters.

I am still trying to understand the difference between the treetop experience and the canopy experience. I am learning about length of ziplines, speed, platforms . . . all of it. Off to investigate and learn, hopefully from someone who doesn't assume knowledge of my experience, thoughts, or understanding.

As for my son, he weighs MORE than 100 lbs.; I meant that he met the minimum. As to age, 28 days doesn't matter; maturity matters, and if they find 12yos mature enough, he will fit the bill. He is the most mature kid in any group of 10-12yos, and sometimes even olders. :)

All that is incidental, however, to overall safety questions, which is what I hope to learn here. I'll be calling the JustLive folks to learn how they do things differently that makes it safe for 9yos and up.

If this is an unsafe event for HIM based on the angle and slippery-ness of the platforms, and the lack of a second line, wouldn't it be unsafe for anyone? That, and other aspects, is what I am trying to learn.

Leslie

We went on the Princeville Ranch zipline last week in Kauai. DH is 110 lbs and he got stuck in the middle of the line because he did not weigh enough to make it across (even though they say you only need to be a min of 75 lbs for the course). It was no big deal and the guide slide out there and retrieved him, but it was a little embarassing for a 32 year told to not make it across. They told him to tuck his legs to get more speed, which he did, but was still not close to the landing platform. Just something to consider for your 11 year old (again it's not big deal if he doesn't mind hanging a minute or two for the retrieval)

They did not have a 2nd safety line at this zipline, but I couldn't imagine the cable breaking as it is inspected by OSHA and seems well maintained. The safety there did not concern me at all.

I called Backcountry and they insist on 12yo, which is fine, I didn't HAVE to take my almost 12yo on the ziplines, I just didn't want to leave him out. It may be a legal liability issue for them. So, I and my two older kids will zip with Backcountry, and I had planned to reserve my 11yo and my DH on the tree top version with JustLive. But, turns out, my son is not too interested: his impression of it is that you would not have much of a view and would just be gliding from tree to tree. I can't tell, honestly; they told me over the phone they had "360 degree views," but everything on their site described being 60-70 feet up, among 200-foot trees. I can see why my son doesn't think there will be a view, among such tall trees.

It's his choice, but if anyone has been ON the treetop zipline with JustLive, I would love to hear about it. Did you have soaring views of Kauai?

At this point, he and his dad are considering a drive and hike in Waimea Canyon. More their speed, I think.

Leslie

Archived