Juneau 'Out the Road' questions

TomAndJane

We plan on renting a car when we are in Juneau. Is there a guide, like Murrays for Skagway, that details the mile markers in Juneau? I know about Auke Bay, The Shrine, Echo Cove, etc. just wondering about the pull-outs, etc. Does any one have any advise on where to stop other than the places mentioned? What did you see, as far as wildlife goes, on your trip. We will be renting the car around May 22nd.

Thanks for the info,

Tom

Are you doing a land trip as well as a cruise? If so, The Milepost will be very helpful for your land trip, and it contains a log of the 39.5-mile Glacier Highway/Juneau Veterans' Memorial Highway.

We are just renting a car in Juneau for the day. What is the 'The Milepost'? That sounds exactly what I am looking for!!!!:)

Are you doing a land trip as well as a cruise? If so, The Milepost will be very helpful for your land trip, and it contains a log of the 39.5-mile Glacier Highway/Juneau Veterans' Memorial Highway.

If you can find an old copy, you can photocopy those 2 pages - nothing has changed.

A bit off topic but---

Are they still talking about making a road between Juneau and Skagway? That would take a bit of drilling! :eek: (I'm guessing with the elections coming up that some candidates would be bringing it up)

Question, does anybody have any suggestions on rental car agencies in Juneau? Our tour guide (my mother who used to live there) is going to give us a "unique" tour of Juneau and I figured I'd better go ahead and book the rental car.

Question, does anybody have any suggestions on rental car agencies in Juneau? Our tour guide (my mother who used to live there) is going to give us a "unique" tour of Juneau and I figured I'd better go ahead and book the rental car.

Whoo-hoo to the 'unique' tour! :D

Rent-a-Wreck is agreed to be the easiest to deal with and best price. I was able to rent a minivan for $70 for the day in May when I had more guests than could squeeze into my wheezing Subaru. They pick you up downtown, don't hassle you for extra fees and insurance, and you can leave the car downtown for a bit extra.

The Milepost can be found at most libraries, or at least it used to be. (Poor libraries.)

Wildlife sightings in May: In some ways, it's better, because the leaves usually haven't completely filled in yet, and it's easier to spot critters. Not so good because the salmon aren't running yet, so the bears aren't in the streams yet. I have seen a bear up on the side of Mt. Juneau off the Basin Rd above town, grazing on fresh grass. I've also seen a lot of porcupines up there. May is great porcupine time. Plus, they're the easiest animal to notice, since they make so much noise with their rattling quills and slow movement. Plenty of eagles are still around as well. Going Out the Road also can lead to sightings, since humans quickly melt away. Just be careful though, because the 'sighting' can be running in front of your car.

The Road Out of Town: The newest estimate just came out yesterday, for $350 million. I laugh. It will be a billion, at least, since everything takes twice as long and twice as much money up here.

As for the road itself, our previous governor, he of the wink, wink and a handshake, had started the first dirt road as his administration wound town. It just happened to stop at a friend's previously inaccessible gold mine site. :rolleyes: The new Stop Corruption! Governor adjusted her fashionable glasses and stopped it immediately.

For that 300 some million dollars, there will be a road up to the Katzehin River, then you still will need to take a ferry either to Haines or Skagway. Which probably somewhat better than only going to Skagway, but add some more $$$ on there.

Whoo-hoo to the 'unique' tour! :D

Thanks!! Yes, I lured mom on this cruise with the promise she could show me Juneau. So we'll have a tour that consists of this is where your brother was born, this is where I worked, this is where your dad worked, this is where we lived, this is the bar where I got drunk on New Year's Eve and danced on the tables and it snowed so much we couldn't find out car to get home!:D You get the picture!:p I'm an Anchorage girl myself so...

Thanks!! Yes, I lured mom on this cruise with the promise she could show me Juneau. So we'll have a tour that consists of this is where your brother was born, this is where I worked, this is where your dad worked, this is where we lived, this is the bar where I got drunk on New Year's Eve and danced on the tables and it snowed so much we couldn't find out car to get home!:D You get the picture!:p I'm an Anchorage girl myself so...

LOL! Those are the best type of tours! She'll find that not much as changed, other than some modernizing. My mother can't stop commenting on all the sidewalks, street signs and lights, but the Kaisers' house on the corner of Engineer's Cutoff is still painted red, same as 40 years ago, for goodness sakes.

Was your brother born at St. Ann's? The poor old place has seen better days. I'd say I was worried about it being torn down, but they never tear anything down around here. (Besides, it's got to be full of asbestos and lead paint.) It had been a nursing home after the hospital closed, but now that's moved out by the hospital, so the church is just using it for offices and storage.

Archived