Question on the topic of "singles"...

NYLady

I apologize if this is a silly question but does the topic of "singles" refer generally to singles looking for partners or does it also include men and women who just happen to be traveling alone?

From my understanding of these boards, a solo is anyone travelling alone. A single is anyone without a significant other in their life, whether or not they are travelling alone.

Solos are more into cruises for the adventure, port itineraries or travel experience. Singles more for the socializing, meeting, looking, or hooking experience. Neither are more lonely than the other, although for many who do singles cruises being part of a group is what it is all about.

I mean it is the culture to believe that if you are single then you are alone, but apparently, you have to be lonely and need of company. Bah.

Thanks for your answers...I guess what I really want to know is whether I would be comfortable on a "Singles" cruise if I am not looking for a "relationship". Meeting new people, enjoying cruise and excursions together - that's all good...I just wouldn't want to feel that I was in a situation saying, in effect, "I'm available for romance."

Hard to say, the subject of singles vs. solos was beaten to death on another cruise board. Some swear the singles are just meat markets, others swear they are just fun to hang out with a group. Haven't done single cruises myself, but then I don't hang with singles groups locally either.

Sounds like you have done some interesing travels.

Thanks for your answers...I guess what I really want to know is whether I would be comfortable on a "Singles" cruise if I am not looking for a "relationship". Meeting new people, enjoying cruise and excursions together - that's all good...I just wouldn't want to feel that I was in a situation saying, in effect, "I'm available for romance."

Solos are more into cruises for the adventure, port itineraries or travel experience. Singles more for the socializing, meeting, looking, or hooking experience. Neither are more lonely than the other, although for many who do singles cruises being part of a group is what it is all about.

DiveMaster has it almost right, but in my opinion, I would change it just slightly (it makes a big difference) to: singles AND solos are BOTH into (usually) "the adventure, port itineraries or travel experience". The rest of the quote is quite accurate, I think.

The main thing is this: singles want to be with a group, some may be hoping for romance, but most, I think, just don't want to be alone, hence you hear about singles groups and singles cruises. Solos, however, while they are usually open to socializing etc., are not as concerned about being alone on the cruise, and some solos even want to be alone, so making sure they are part of a group is not of primary concern, hence you do not hear about "solo groups" ... and hence the chat threads about solos are usually about things like how to get a good price for single occupancy, what cruises are fun for solos (in case the solo does not hook up with anyone for socializing, etc., or does not want to).

One more thing, you don't necessarily have to join a singles group/cruise to be with a group. Many "solos" find a group of people to dine with, do shore excursions with, etc. by meeting fellow cruisers in advance of the sailing on the Cruise Critic roll call for their sailing. Whether you book with a singles group or just wing it as a solo, it's a good idea to join the roll call for your sailing, as there is always good advice on what to do in the ports, which excursions are good, and things like that.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just go. LOL I am a single lady, and found that you don't have to travel with a group. I had a lovely time with my table mates, and the 5 of us (2 other couples) ended up going cave tubing in Belieze together. Get a big table. People seem to admire your adventurous spirit for travelling alone. But it was safe, I never felt edgy, yet I never got around to checking out the singles action per se. I went cave tubing, on the myan ruins, swam with dolphins, did a stingrays and reef swim.

The only caveat I would put out is to take adequate precautions. Don't drink yourself under the table, unless you do it in your cabin. I won't post names cause I think they get erased but google women, travel. I can tell you there is an excellent magazine and a couple of excellent websites out there for the single/solo female traveller.

Lisa

Archived