question about traffic in Charleston

canadiangirltoo

We are staying in North Myrtle Beach for the week prior to our cruise out of Charleston (in early January), and are debating whether to drive to Charleston on the day before our cruise and stay at a hotel for the night, or if we should drive down on the morning of our cruise. I'm just wondering what traffic in Charleston would be like on a Saturday morning in early January when there is a cruise ship sailing that day. Will there be traffic jams and what's the latest we should be in the city to avoid traffic congestion? How bad or easy is the traffic situation around the cruise terminal? Are there any roads we should avoid and do you have any tips for an alternative route?

As always, we appreciate any suggestions!

canadiangirltoo

We are staying in North Myrtle Beach for the week prior to our cruise out of Charleston (in early January), and are debating whether to drive to Charleston on the day before our cruise and stay at a hotel for the night, or if we should drive down on the morning of our cruise. I'm just wondering what traffic in Charleston would be like on a Saturday morning in early January when there is a cruise ship sailing that day. Will there be traffic jams and what's the latest we should be in the city to avoid traffic congestion? How bad or easy is the traffic situation around the cruise terminal? Are there any roads we should avoid and do you have any tips for an alternative route?

As always, we appreciate any suggestions!

canadiangirltoo

Jump on SC Highway 31 in North Myrtle Beach and stay on it until the end. You'll end up on Highway 17 all the way to Charleston. Trip should take you less than two hours to get downtown Charleston.

Yes, I would go the day before because Charleston is such a gorgeous city that you should incorporate it into your vacation and not just a cruise departure point.

Stay downtown. Don't stay in North Charleston or Mt. Pleasant.

Jump on SC Highway 31 in North Myrtle Beach and stay on it until the end. You'll end up on Highway 17 all the way to Charleston. Trip should take you less than two hours to get downtown Charleston.

Yes, I would go the day before because Charleston is such a gorgeous city that you should incorporate it into your vacation and not just a cruise departure point.

Stay downtown. Don't stay in North Charleston or Mt. Pleasant.

I agree. Charleston can be congested downtown even when thier isn't a ship in port. Parking is limited and we have plenty of one-way streets to confuse you. Kinda reminds me of one of those mazes where you put the mouse in one end and the cheese on the other...:p I would come down the day before and stay in the historical district. Take a shuttle to the port.

There are a few hotels that let you stay AND keep your car at the hotel for the week. Remember, parking is $110 for a 7 day cruise, according to the Charleston Port website.............

Rebeljohn, do you happen know if any of the hotels in the historic district offer a parking package? I have the link to the Charleston Visitors' Bureau with a list of hotels that offer cruise packages and next on my "to do" list is calling them to find out if any of those cruise packages include parking. I know that sometimes a hotel room with one week's parking ends up costing the same as parking at the cruise terminal for the week...

Thanks!

Archived