Best for Panama Canal Cruise

loui30

I don't think I asked this right before... I would like to know of ports and excursions "not to miss" on a Panama Canal Cruise. My husband and I (both in our 50s) are planning our 25th -- I am wondering if there are certain excursions we should book on line and also any tips to help us decide between Celebrity Mercury and Coral Princess -- as it stands now , the Celebrity cruise is about 600.00 cheaper so my husband is definitely leaning that way unless anyone has some info that might change our decision-- I know on previous cruises there are always excursions that book up quickly and I don't want to hear about them later-- thanks for your info -- its appreciated!! Loui30

It's kind of diffficult to answer your question, as you don't indicate what ports you might be going to. Are you doing a complete or partial transit? The different cruise lines have differing iteneraries on these cruises, and even a specific ship may have different ports of call.

For what it's worth, assuming you are doing a complete transit, and your itenerary is the same as what we had, consider the following (we went from Ls Angeles to Orlando)....

Cabo San Lucas - did the ATV excursion. Had an absolute blast. Wear OLD clothes that you are willing to throw away. It's a VERY dusty ride! Swing by the Cabo Wabo and have your pic taken with the fish.

Acapulco - Catch the cliff divers. You can do a formal excursion, or just take a taxi. Be sure to get to the hotel where the stars all hung out (drawing a blank on the name of it).

Huatulco - Go outside the pier area and grab a local for a grand tour of the area. Try to get Ricardo - gives a GREAT tour, and speaks fluent English. He lived in Poenix for several years.

Costa Rica - Take the tour that goes to San Jose. It's an all day trip, but well worth it.

Aruba - If you snorkel, head to the area just before the California Lighthouse. Great shopping just outside the pier gate - just go out the gate and out to the main drag. The shopping area is across the street in the pink buildings. Easy island to get around - you can rent a car for the day for as low as about $35.....a larger full size will run close to $100 for the day.

Curacao - Great snorkeling and scuba diving. LOTS of shopping. Just go across the bridge and shop til you drop!

We've been to other islands on other cruises, and I'm sure that other members can give additional info, but like I said, we need a little more info in order to help you out.

Have a great cruise!

Joe

What excurusions are "not to be missed" totally depends on what interests you! You may not be into rough road motorsports or zip-lining, or cliff diving! You may not give a whit if the oldest church on the island is built with bamboo! See my point?? Not everything is for everyone! Read up on the ports you will visit--get a good guide book. Then check out the ship's excursions and see if anything "floats your boat"! Now, if you want to do something on your own, you have the info! If you want to book an excursion privately, the guide book will help with that!

Every time we do a Panama Canal trip we make sure when we get to Costa Rica we do the white water excursions. We find them to be great. You get to see a lot of the countryside on the way to the river and then have a great time on the way down the river.

Hi Loui30:

If your hubby is like MOST men and is mechanically inclined, just make sure you have a balcony for the trip through the locks.

Just watching the process of centering the ship in the locks and towing it from lock to lock is an "excursion" all in itself.

I sat out there and watched/enjoyed the entire process in one end and then out the other. Facinating!

Just my $0.02.

Jim

Another point of interest is to watch the daily newsletter on the ship for lectures on the Panama Canal. They go over the whole history of it and the problems encountered. Very interesting especially when you see the remnants of some of the things they talk about.

All good info ...some of the ports you mentioned we will be going to --- an example of something "not to miss" was on a previous Med. cruise , there was an opportunity to go to a small town on the Amalfi coast with lunch --- it turned out to be a once in a life time for many of the people I talked to on the ship later... it was expensive and I did not know the experience I would have had (i.e. gourmete French mealcooked by the family who owned the property)After that , I have decided to get all kinds of info from different types of people as well as the written word from travel books-- the more facts and ideas , the better!! I know the trip does the full transit ...2 weeks. I have lots of time ...Dec. 08.... Thank you all !

Archived