Low cal or heart healthy food?

calenita

We were on the Sun in September and the Pacific Heights Restaurant was all about healthy eating!

The menu was presented with the various food values...ie calories, salt, fat, etc. for each menu item. The menu was relatively large with a nice selection of dishes and was, in our opinion, certainly one of the best resaturants on the ship.

I am sure other NCL ships have the same or a similar restaurant.

We were very impressed.

Enjoy your cruise!

There is always one ''Cooking Light'' option. Also, even if it is not listed, you can get steamed vegetables with every meal, you just have to ask. Sometimes, I would skip appetizer and have a ''regular'' dish with veggies.

We were on the Sun in September and the Pacific Heights Restaurant was all about healthy eating!

The menu was presented with the various food values...ie calories, salt, fat, etc. for each menu item. The menu was relatively large with a nice selection of dishes and was, in our opinion, certainly one of the best resaturants on the ship.

I am sure other NCL ships have the same or a similar restaurant.

We were very impressed.

Enjoy your cruise!

Would anyone know if this is offered on the Star??

• 4 weeks later...

Something I found on our last NCL cruise, also, was that their serving sizes are reasonable. While we in North America have grown accustomed to being served four times as much as a healthy adult should eat, I found that the meals on our ship were of a much healthier size. I've also read some negative reviews as a result - people calling them stingy and such - but you can order three entrees if you want, so if you're really hungry after a starter, a soup or salad, an entree and a dessert, that's always an option. Portions are a huge issue for people who find that their eating habits have become unhealthy, so I was happy about it. There are also, as was noted, 'Cooking Light' selections every night in the main dining rooms.

Leosatter, perhaps you can find a market or a delivery service in your local area that you can access online where you can purchase fresh foods. Preparing fresh food with a balanced mix of food groups is always a healthier choice than prepared foods. The weight watchers program is a very good one that can teach anyone how to eat in a healthy way. It sounds like you aren't interested in meetings, but they do offer an online membership that might work for you. They also no doubt have links that might direct you to online suppliers, or you may find people to correspond or chat with who might know. Good luck and congratulations on making a good choice for your health! :)

Something I found on our last NCL cruise, also, was that their serving sizes are reasonable. While we in North America have grown accustomed to being served four times as much as a healthy adult should eat, I found that the meals on our ship were of a much healthier size. I've also read some negative reviews as a result - people calling them stingy and such - but you can order three entrees if you want, so if you're really hungry after a starter, a soup or salad, an entree and a dessert, that's always an option. Portions are a huge issue for people who find that their eating habits have become unhealthy, so I was happy about it. There are also, as was noted, 'Cooking Light' selections every night in the main dining rooms.

Leosatter, perhaps you can find a market or a delivery service in your local area that you can access online where you can purchase fresh foods. Preparing fresh food with a balanced mix of food groups is always a healthier choice than prepared foods. The weight watchers program is a very good one that can teach anyone how to eat in a healthy way. It sounds like you aren't interested in meetings, but they do offer an online membership that might work for you. They also no doubt have links that might direct you to online suppliers, or you may find people to correspond or chat with who might know. Good luck and congratulations on making a good choice for your health! :)

I agree. I like the portion sizes. As usual there was a complaint by someone on an NCL cruise that the portions were small to the Maitre D and his response was very simple...you can order as many of what ever you like....

Trader Joe I believe delivers if you live near one and most large super markets will also deliver...just check with them. Many large cities have Fresh Direct which is on line ordering and Delivery(new building now have cooling lockers for deliveries as an amenity in NYC)

Archived