Places to avoid in Sydney (unless you have money to burn)

mochuck

I saw this article in our local paper today. I particulary liked the bit about the $50 cup of coffee which is made in Indonesia from coffee beans that have been eaten and excreted (whole) by a possum-like marsupial called a luwak.

The 10-centimetre slabs are then dried, broken up, cleaned and roasted for a brew which is - apparently - exceptionally smooth.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/a-sydney-you-probably-cant-afford/2007/11/03/1193619200177.html

I saw this article in our local paper today. I particulary liked the bit about the $50 cup of coffee which is made in Indonesia from coffee beans that have been eaten and excreted (whole) by a possum-like marsupial called a luwak.

The 10-centimetre slabs are then dried, broken up, cleaned and roasted for a brew which is - apparently - exceptionally smooth.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/a-sydney-you-probably-cant-afford/2007/11/03/1193619200177.html

Loved the article! Isn't there an expression that goes .... more money than brains.....? At first I thought the article was going to be about the wonderful Aussie humour.... then I realized it was serious.

Thanks for the smile.

Kathy

I watched a fascinating segment on "Foreign Correspondent" about the excreted coffee - wow.

Apparently there is a lot of fake stuff about, and as usual the poor people who lovingly collect the dung, clean an roast it are exploited!

As far as Sydney being expensive, international visitors, expecially from the USA beware.

The Australian dollar is climbing ever slowly towards parity. Something we haven't seen for many years.

Steve.

As far as Sydney being expensive, international visitors, expecially from the USA beware.

The Australian dollar is climbing ever slowly towards parity. Something we haven't seen for many years.

Yep but it makes travelling to the US more attractive for us;)

That sort of coffee is expensive no matter where you buy it. I've seen specials on coffee and it's usually mentioned as one of, if not the most expensive coffee in the world. Gotta say, not in a hurry to try it.

Great article - thanks for sharing it with us!

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

Generally just "case the joints" you are going into. Drinks in Bars can be very pricey. If you are looking for a good cheap place to eat try the "Bowlers Club - which is just off Market street opposite the Queen Victoria building. Not many tourists know about it. Has three eateries, bistro, smorgasbord and chinese. Give it a go.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the sentiment of most of the piece, but the (truffle-less) snapper pie at the Boathouse is definitely worth the money! That's why it's popular!

Even the humble pie can go high-end in Sydney. The Boathouse restaurant's snapper pie, complete with truffle oil, comes in at $45 a portion - rising to $85 if you want freshly shaved truffles on the top.

Despite the price, it is one of the most popular dishes on the menu.

Archived