Some More Questions

Watermanfunari

Hi everyone, I just wanted to know about some excursions. We will be on the Dawn in Oct. This is what we plan to do:

Port Canaveral (Orlando)

Universal. Is there enough time to see and do all, or at least most of it? We will do the ship tour with express pass. What are some of the must do and see there? (like the mummy, Earthquake, twister). Or anything else you might think of to tell me.

Miami

We were planning on doing Splish Splash with Cookie at the Hilton Fontainebleau Hotel. Is this a nice Hotel and worth it to go there? Is it enough time to enjoy the Pools and Beach?

Nassau

We are not going to be there long so Atlantis is out of the question. Can you suggest any beaches close to the port? Like Hilton British Colonial, Raddison, or Holiday Inn? What price is it to use there facilities for the day? And do they let you do that? Do they have pools and beaches on the property? We have done all the shopping already in that port. We will also stop at Senior Frogs again for a drink for sure.

Also I have a question about Fromal night. Is it on a Monday on the Dawn? I know I have read that fromal dress is optional, I would like to dress up for sure, but will I be out of place? Or does at least 1/2 or more still dress up?

Is lobster night on Friday?

Thanks in advance for your answers. If it wasn't for Cruise Critics I don't know what I would do. Tell me all that you can about evrythig I need to know about the Dawn.

Thanks, SUE :D

Hi everyone, I just wanted to know about some excursions. We will be on the Dawn in Oct. This is what we plan to do:

Port Canaveral (Orlando)

Universal. Is there enough time to see and do all, or at least most of it? We will do the ship tour with express pass. What are some of the must do and see there? (like the mummy, Earthquake, twister). Or anything else you might think of to tell me.

:D

We did universal with an express pass in July last year (peak time) and had plenty of time to do all the major things . Some of them twice. Early when there were no lines we just used the regular line and returned later to do it with the express pass. They stamp your pass as you us it. Even had time to stop at Jimmy Buffets for refreshments on the way out.

In Nassau we got day passes at the British Colonial Hilton and had a great day there. It is clean and lovely and not crowded. Day passes were $10/adults and $5/kids. Ther'sw a pool also and outdoor restaurant. Just walk up to thhe front desk and ask for a daypass. Also,its an easy walk from the ship.

Fountainbleu- have not done teh excursion but have been on the grounds and it would be a nicce day too.

We are sailing on the Dawn on 10/24. We were interested in the Splish Splash with Cookie excursion in Miami but heard on the board here that the tour is no longer offered. I think there are rennovations going on at the hotel. Another theory going around was that the hotel guests were complaining about the cruise ship guests. Anyway, I tried to pre-book the excursion (along w/ Sea World for P.C.) online but only received a confirmation back on the Sea World excursion. Therefore, I assume they are no longer offering the Splish Splash excursion.

Shoreguy, Glad to hear we will have enough time at Universal to do alot.

awatt, Thanks for the info on British Colonial. That is where we will go.

chrystine, Thanks for letting me know about that. I am going to call the hotel myself and find out what is going on with it, and I will let you know.

Thanks again gang

SUE

Chrystine, I just called the Fountainbleau Hitlon Resort in Miami. The man I spoke to said that they let you purchase a cabana for $85 to $115 4 people max. and you get the use of the whole Hotel for that price. We have 4 in our group so if we go with the ship, if they still offer it, it will cost us $168 verses $115 direct with the Hotel. Plus we would need to get a cab for 4 to get there and back, don't know the price of that, so it might cost the same wither way. But it is good to know that even if the ship does not offer it any more that we can still go there.

Sue

I just wanted to respond to your questions about Universal Studios. We went for 5 days just after last Christmas and LOVED it! Don't miss the Shreck 4-D Adventure.. it was my favorite!!

Do you also go to Islands of Adventure with that day pass? If so, there are quite a few water rides in the park and they are awesome, but you do get very wet. If you can figure out a way to carry bathing suits in your bag or rain ponchos it is very worth it! In Islands of Adventure, don't miss the talking statue in the center of the Lost Continent. It is hysterical to watch.

DJ

Thanks for the info on the Fountainbleu, Water. I wonder how much a cab would cost from the port? We really want to go there. Did the hotel say if cabana reservations were required or not? If we don't end up there, we will probably go to the Miami Zoo.

Christine, I don't know much the cab ride would be to get there. But Yes, you can just go there and you must Buy for the day the Cabana for the day. They don't call it a day pass. Or I was thinking, call ahead and reserve one for the day you will be there and do it with a Credit Card so you know for sure you will get one. (that is if the cruise ship doesn't offer it anymore).

(orlando)

I was a little upset, I was planning on going to Universal for the day. But a friend of ours went on the ship excursion and said not to go, it took them by bus 1 1/2 hours to get there almost 3 hours to get back ( I guess traffic) and it left them with only 3 hours at Universal, and even with express pass you only got to do a few, he said it was very rushed and would not recommend it. So I told the kids we will be doing somthing different. What I do not know as of yet.

Sue

In Nassau we got day passes at the British Colonial Hilton and had a great day there. It is clean and lovely and not crowded. Day passes were $10/adults and $5/kids. Ther'sw a pool also and outdoor restaurant. Just walk up to thhe front desk and ask for a daypass. Also,its an easy walk from the ship.

Fountainbleu- have not done teh excursion but have been on the grounds and it would be a nicce day too.

We will be in Nassau next July - what month did you go there? My husband likes your review of British Colonial Hilton - is this listed as an excursion or do you just go to the hotel? Is this also on a beach?

Watermanfunari-

Just wanted to let you know that I tried pre-booking the Splish Splash with Cookie excursion (again). I got a confirmation but for a different tour (Parrot Island). I thought that was a bad sign. I called NCL shore excursions dept and they were able to book Splish Splash for me. The rep did not say anything about the tour being cancelled. I assume that is a good sign. It costs $156 for the 3 of us (same price for kids as adults). Based on the info you received from the hotel, it would be cheaper to do on your own, however, I did not want to worry about transportation to/from the hotel.

Christine, Thanks for the update. It just might be the same amount if the cab ride is about $20 each way (just say, 4 people) That would be $150, so either way is good as long as you get to go. If we do go, I will let you know how it was upon our return.

Have a great cruise.

Sue

NCL DAWN 10/10/04

PRINCESS DAWN 2/8/05

Sue, I am also reconsidering Universal Studios. I told the kids I think we need do do that as a separate vacation. Just too much to do in a few hours. Now what to do, what to do. I am thinking Alligator airboat ride along the Indian River, Kennedy Space Center (kids think KSC will be boring) Or Sea World, which is smaller than Universal with only 3 rides. Or shall we stay on the ship and look into Miami excursions. Decision, decisions. I think I at least made one decision. We are driving and parking at the pier. Son must be back for a 2:00 football game on Oct. 17.

Betsy

Carn. Legend 2002

Disney Magic 2003

Norwegian Dawn 10/10/04

Archived