Trying to get my MIL to go

Macwoman

We have an issue with my MIL getting a passport. I wonder if anyone has ever had this happen. When she was born her mom put a "neighbor's " name as the father on her birth certificate. It was to save face at the time. However my MIL's mom did marry and my MIL used her new dad's name on everything. However she was never legally adopted so her name wasn't changed on her birth certificate. Every document says, ":smith", but "jones" is on her birth certificate. The passport agency has said that she can't get a passport becuase of no legal name change. Any idea's as to what to do. I don't know if my MIL is just giving me a run around or what. I think she really doesn't want to go and doesn't want to go through the hassle of getting a passport.

Any help would be great

Macwoman

Any idea's as to what to do. I don't know if my MIL is just giving me a run around or what. I think she really doesn't want to go and doesn't want to go through the hassle of getting a passport.

Any help would be great

Macwoman

This may sound harsh, but if she doesn't want to go, why force her?

Go without her and when you return and tell her what a great time you had, perhaps the next planned cruise she will want to go along.

As far as the issue of birth certificate, she may have to legally change her name...one way or the other. An attorney might be of help to her.

She can very easy have her name legally changed. We do these hearings weekly in our court system. She has to file a petition with the court, attaching her original birth certificate. The hearings (at least in our jurisdiction) take all of ten minutes. Have her contact an attorney. It is not a complex matter. I do not know, however, how long it takes to receive the revised birth certificate with the revised name. When are you planning to cruise?

If she's married herself, her name won't match her birth certificate anyway! No married woman's name matches the birth name! As long as her birthdate matches her ID (driver's lic), she should be ok!

I was thinking the same thing!!

We only want her to get a passport so we could do a "family " thing whether it would be in Europe or a cruise. My gut tellls me she is just doesn't want to go.......so be it then.

Thaks for all your help

Barbara

She works for a law firm......for a very long time. I have e-mail my SIL's to see if they want me to get more info. You would think working for lawyers, that she has not persured it more. I think we will probably dead end it here, unless my SIL's want to persue it. My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th next year and I really wanted to do the family thing...........I have really very little family left. My parents are both gone, 1 brother lives in Florida my other brother I don't talk to. So it meant alot to me. But I think it will probably be us and the kids.........and that's okay too.................

macwoman

She works for a law firm......for a very long time. I have e-mail my SIL's to see if they want me to get more info. You would think working for lawyers, that she has not persured it more. I think we will probably dead end it here, unless my SIL's want to persue it. My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th next year and I really wanted to do the family thing...........I have really very little family left. My parents are both gone, 1 brother lives in Florida my other brother I don't talk to. So it meant alot to me. But I think it will probably be us and the kids.........and that's okay too.................

macwoman

If she works for a lawyer couldn't she get this all straightened out very easily...if she wanted to.

When is your cruise? Passports aren't required until summer 2008. Until then a birth certificate and driver's license are all she needs.

It sounds like her birth certificate and driver's license wouldn't match which would also cause problems I imagine.

Archived