Booked excursion 2008?

greatmom

Italy52 - we are booking the Mahay's 3 Rivers Trip using a coupon from the Northern Lights book.

Thanks for your reply. I have the NL book and saw the coupon - we might just use it. We will be in Girdwood our first night and DH thought that since we were there, why not take the jet boat cruise at Girdwood. However, I can't seem to find anyone who has taken the excursion. The Mahay's option is a definite consideration for us.

Wow, I am not the only one obsessing about this. Here is what I have booked:

Juneau

Northstar Trekking - One hour glacier walkabout

Icy Strait Point

F.I.S.H.E.S Whale Watchinng

Ketchikan

Anan Bear Watching w/ Island Wings

Does anyone know if Chilkoot Charters has started booking for 2008. I did an on-line reserveration a couple of weeks ago but have not heard anything back. Thanks

According to AKSusan - they just determined the prices for their 2008 excursions. You might want to give them a call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=650129 (see post #17)

Received an email from Chilkoot Charters last night providing 2008 prices and asking if I wanted to continue booking. Replied YES. So we should be good to go for this one. Now to work on the fishing trip we want to take.

I am going to Glacier Bay, Juneau, and Wrangell/Anan Creek in July (land-only tour).

Booked:

all-day Tracy Arm cruise from Juneau

whale watch with Harv and Marv from Juneau

To be booked:

all-day Glacier Bay boat tour

possible half-day Pt. Adolphus whale watch tour from Gustavus/Glacier Bay

Anan Bay cabin for two nights

boat transfer from Wrangell to Anan Creek and back

If I can't secure the cabin (can only book 6 months in advance), I will stay 3 nights in Wrangell (planning only one night there right now) and take two separate day trips to Anan Creek.

John

John, do you fly to Juneau directly? How much is the airfare? I know you always can find some super deals for your trip.

The person who handles the Chilkoot Charters reservations is away for a day or 2. I was told they would be processed later in the week upon her return. I will let you know if I hear anything.

I received my confirmation from Chiltkoot Charters last night for the Skagway combo bus/train tour into the Yukon. Really looking forward to that one! Also had a nice response from Lois at Classic Tours in Ketchikan. Still undecided about Ketchikan though; considering just going to the Lumberjack Show and Saxman Village on our own, then walking around town. The one I haven't heard from is Captain Larry at Orca Enterprises in Juneau. Emailed him early this week. It always gives me pause when I don't get a response, but maybe he (they) are on a little vacation. I guess I will try calling.

I received my confirmation from Chiltkoot Charters last night for the Skagway combo bus/train tour into the Yukon. Really looking forward to that one! Also had a nice response from Lois at Classic Tours in Ketchikan. Still undecided about Ketchikan though; considering just going to the Lumberjack Show and Saxman Village on our own, then walking around town. The one I haven't heard from is Captain Larry at Orca Enterprises in Juneau. Emailed him early this week. It always gives me pause when I don't get a response, but maybe he (they) are on a little vacation. I guess I will try calling.

I called on the phone to book Orca Enterprises, so that might work better than email. I think they have great customer service. A couple weeks after my reservation, they called me back to ask for my street address to mail some info to me. The woman that I spoke w/ was so wonderful, friendly, happy to be in Alaska.

I think it is easy to forget not every one or every company all over the county is as dependent on email as we may be. Lucky them! ;)

John, do you fly to Juneau directly? How much is the airfare? I know you always can find some super deals for your trip.

I don't fly ANYWHERE directly!

I am using frequent flyer miles again for this trip. For me, that is a great use of miles when an airline allows a stop en route, as American and Delta do. 45,000 miles gets me in first class. Actually I paid about $100 to transfer a friend's dormant miles into my account to give me 45,000 miles - I was a few thousand miles short for the 45K mile first class award.

Minneapolis-Chicago-Seattle-Juneau-Gustavus (Glacier Bay) (stop) -Juneau (stop) -Seattle-Chicago-Minneapolis.

Then I applied for an Alaska Air credit card earlier this year and got enough miles to get a free ticket:

Juneau-Wrangell-Juneau which I will use after my stop in Juneau.

So the entire flight cost to visit three cities is about $130 including the mileage transfer fee, airport security fees and the phone fee that American Airlines charges. I can't complain.

John

I called on the phone to book Orca Enterprises, so that might work better than email. I think they have great customer service. A couple weeks after my reservation, they called me back to ask for my street address to mail some info to me. The woman that I spoke w/ was so wonderful, friendly, happy to be in Alaska.

I think it is easy to forget not every one or every company all over the county is as dependent on email as we may be. Lucky them! ;)

After many posts of people trying to EMail Orca Enterprises for last season, it is a known fact that Orca does not respond promptly, if at all, to EMail.

My only complaint is this - if they don't like EMail, then take their EMail address off their home page. Or at the least, don't make it so prominent.

John

We have a car thru Avis in Skagway for the Murry guide drive.

Using Capt Larry for Whale watching tour in Juneau ( I called them).

Sitka we are doing a wild life tour and Salmon bake with Alaska wildlife tours.

I have not booked a tour for Ketchikan yet but plan on doing a fishing trip.

Archived