DC to NJ?

Ships R Great

That would be a good sail for us to celebrate our 50th anniv. And I have always wanted to see New England in the fall.

This question was not really for us but our daughter. We are sailing next on Century B2B in January. Prices are really good. You should look into it.

Thinking of spending a few days in NY prior to cruising. Can anyone give me advice on travel, i.e. train/air shuttle/Acela/etc.? I want cheap!

Can't help you with prices of transport to NYC but many who want to visit NYC can find much cheaper hotel rates by staying in Jersey City right across the river. The Path trains will take you cheaply into NYC for sightseeing and it only takes about ten minutes.

We had this dilemma back in April. Being an engineer I created a stupidly complicated spread sheet of all the costs involved in each mode of transportation: fares, cabs, parking, meals, gas, tips etc. I also took into account the hassle factor of each option. Bottom line - we ended up driving. It's actually a pretty painless drive from here - until you go through the tunnel in NY.

Our biggest savings came from staying on the Jersey side of the river instead of Manhattan. We stayed at a Courtyard Marriott (Jersey City Newport-Pavonia) that was attached to a PATH station. It included breakfast and parking. We just rode the train into town which was fast and easy. Saved big $$$

We did have to pay the big bucks to park at the pier during the cruise but still came out ahead.

Can't help you with prices of transport to NYC but many who want to visit NYC can find much cheaper hotel rates by staying in Jersey City right across the river. The Path trains will take you cheaply into NYC for sightseeing and it only takes about ten minutes.

---what are PATH trains? How much does it cost to take the train into NYC? Does it stop near Imes Square?

---what are PATH trains? How much does it cost to take the train into NYC? Does it stop near Imes Square?

The Path trains are run by the Port Authority and run from Newark into NYC with a big hub at Journal Square in Jersey City. The cost one way is $1.50 and it will take you into 33rd st. from Journal Square station. 33rd St. is at Penn Station/Madison Square Garden and only a few blocks from Times Square. Below is a link to the Path web site. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the trains run on week-ends into 33rd.St. They will take you to the WTC which is near Little Italy and Chinatown.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/index.html

Take Amtrak. Union Station into Manhattan is a breeze! No parking hassle or high fees. Great NYC public transportation. Take a cab from Manhattan to the terminal for the day of departure. When you return you can take a 10 min cab ride from the port to Newark Penn station and take the train home.

We had this dilemma back in April. Being an engineer I created a stupidly complicated spread sheet of all the costs involved in each mode of transportation: fares, cabs, parking, meals, gas, tips etc. I also took into account the hassle factor of each option. Bottom line - we ended up driving. It's actually a pretty painless drive from here - until you go through the tunnel in NY.

Our biggest savings came from staying on the Jersey side of the river instead of Manhattan. We stayed at a Courtyard Marriott (Jersey City Newport-Pavonia) that was attached to a PATH station. It included breakfast and parking. We just rode the train into town which was fast and easy. Saved big $$$

We did have to pay the big bucks to park at the pier during the cruise but still came out ahead.

I was going to say the same thing. You can get the light rail and Path right in the front or back of the hotel. You may want to contact them to see if they have a cruise rate for parking.

The light rail wil take you to the port entrance. Then maybe a cab departing can take you in the last mile. Same on the way out.

The Path trains are run by the Port Authority and run from Newark into NYC with a big hub at Journal Square in Jersey City. The cost one way is $1.50 and it will take you into 33rd st. from Journal Square station. 33rd St. is at Penn Station/Madison Square Garden and only a few blocks from Times Square. Below is a link to the Path web site. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the trains run on week-ends into 33rd.St. They will take you to the WTC which is near Little Italy and Chinatown.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/index.html

Yes. Path runs on the weekends. But at a reduced schedule.

I know it runs on week-ends but from their schedule on the web site it does not appear to run to 33rd. St on week-ends. I could be wrong though, just what I found on the web site.

When I was there we took it to 33rd on a Saturday. I know it runs late also because we didn't get back to the hotel until 2:00 am. We had fun :p

I hope this is still the case.

Archived