Purchasing liquor on board

Kaboochi

We are sailing on Celebrity in Feb. We sailed with Celebrity 6 years ago and I think I remember the ship selling liquor on the first day before we left port. Our group usually brings liquor in or suitcases but it is heavy and it would be easier to purchase it onboard? Does anyone know about this? Thanks:confused:

I've only been sailing on Celebrity for 2.5 years, but I've never seen that. I have read about it in the past, and have also read that it has been discontinued. Sorry.

BUT, you CAN pre-order liquor packages for a substantial fee. I have done this on occassion.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/shopceleb/giftList.do?pagename=celebration_packages

It is at the bottom of the page.

I have not actually done this, but it is my understanding that the same liquor packages you can purchase in advance can also be purchased once you are on board -- same prices/packages. Expensive, yes, but less than buying all your drinks at a bar on the ship, and you have the making of coctails in your room.

David

Just make sure you purchase the package. If you purchase bottles of liquor in the liquor store they will deliver them to your cabin on the last night, and you won't be able to consume them on-board before then.

the same liquor packages you can purchase in advance can also be purchased once you are on board -- same prices/packages.

This is correct. I have purchased the liquor package online pre-cruise, as well as onboard, at the purser's desk, halfway through a 14-nighter.

I've looked at Celebrity's Liquor Package and forgive me for being thick in the head but for $60 or $80, you get 1 bottle of booze, 6 cans of soda, and peanuts? Is this correct?

If so, what is the size of the bottle?

If not, can someone please give me a remedial lesson without using the ruler on my knuckles?

I've looked at Celebrity's Liquor Package and forgive me for being thick in the head but for $60 or $80, you get 1 bottle of booze, 6 cans of soda, and peanuts? Is this correct?

If not, can someone please give me a remedial lesson without using the ruler on my knuckles?

the bottles are 1 liter and Celebrity charges much more than any other line I know of. Of course Princess doesn't even offer bar set ups anymore. They would rather us smuggle the booze on. Sorry, couldn't resist....that one.

nita

Thanks Rita for the info...I guess my shoes will be full of those little bottles!

I don't mind paying extra for booze on a ship but at $80 a liter...thats a bit much. I was on the Golden Princess this past February and the bartenders squeezed the bar rag to fill up the glass. I had to order doubles to get a decent drink. I don't mind paying a little more for a real drink but don't keep serving up sugar water and expect me to have my account charged for it!

I give Celebrity credit for at least having better brands to purchase as compared to Princess.

I liter is approx 34 oz ~ 22 shots @ 1.5 oz.

If drinks in the bar range $8-10 a pop, this comes out to ~ $176-220.

You can continue with the math.

Thank you Sister Kane for not using that ruler and for the math lesson. Lets see now, 1 shot of Vodka plus a dab of Vermouth, slightly chilled, equals a Martini. Now I get it!

Now can we all figure the fuel surcharges heading our way?

Thanks Rita for the info...I guess my shoes will be full of those little bottles!

I don't mind paying extra for booze on a ship but at $80 a liter...thats a bit much. I was on the Golden Princess this past February and the bartenders squeezed the bar rag to fill up the glass. I had to order doubles to get a decent drink. I don't mind paying a little more for a real drink but don't keep serving up sugar water and expect me to have my account charged for it!

I give Celebrity credit for at least having better brands to purchase as compared to Princess.

That is why you look in the liquor store for the plastic transportable bottles.

You take them - wrap them in bubble wrap.

Put into plastic bag and do your best to seal it.

Pack in with you secondary items - we have 2 bags per person when we go - so as not to harm anything just in case.

This is a dead issue if you cruise out of Puerto Rico as there is a place at the pier to buy or in town.

We bought the Knob Creek bourbon pkg (premium? it was more $ than the basic, I remember) from Celebrity on Summit last year (Mexican Riviera) and it was just a 750 ml bottle, not 1 liter.

Haven't purchased any of their packages other than that, so don't know if it varies by brand or what.

hth,

Jan

So is there not a shop on board that sells alcohol through out the cruise?

If Celebrity is anything like Holland, Princess or NCL (Only been on Celebrity once), yes you can buy bottles booze at the duty free shop on the ship, but you don't get the bottle until the last night on the ship!

"That is why you look in the liquor store for the plastic transportable bottles.

You take them - wrap them in bubble wrap.

Put into plastic bag and do your best to seal it.

Pack in with you secondary items - we have 2 bags per person when we go - so as not to harm anything just in case.

This is a dead issue if you cruise out of Puerto Rico as there is a place at the pier to buy or in town."

---Longboys fan -

What type of liquor can you purchase on the pier? Are you only allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine ? If so can you buy wine on the pier?I have heard that Celebrity is known to search luggage especially carry ons. Is that true.

Thanks

:) :) Thanks for the responses, great info. Our group puts the forbidden beverages into water bottles in the stowed luggage. We used to carry it with us but can't with new regulations. Worked for 5 cruises, and when we come home there is extra room for gifts. We also fly into the port town the day before because we cruise during snow storm season. We find a local grocery and buy the mixers and bring them on board in carry on, no problem.

Anybody have some fav ways for getting the forbidden on board? thanks

:) :) Thanks for the responses, great info. Our group puts the forbidden beverages into water bottles in the stowed luggage. We used to carry it with us but can't with new regulations. Worked for 5 cruises, and when we come home there is extra room for gifts. We also fly into the port town the day before because we cruise during snow storm season. We find a local grocery and buy the mixers and bring them on board in carry on, no problem.

Anybody have some fav ways for getting the forbidden on board? thanks

I was thinking about buying a couple of duty free bottles at the departure airport and slipping them into the suitcase after arrival at destination airport. Not sure how closely the cruise line looks at luggage though. I've slipped small bottles of vodka into my sneakers before with no problem. If one breaks though...man what a mess to deal with. I wish they'd offer something more reasonable than $60 or $80 for a bottle of booze that doesn't cost more than $25 at home. I'm not really that much of a cheapskate....but I like to have my cocktails in the room or on the balcony rather than in a bar.

Iyyiiyiii!! People!!! Just returned from Century in the Med--bought wine in many ports and just brought on board with me!!!! And baguettes, and all sorts of goodies. Don't make this harder than it is! DO NOT pay $80 for a bottle of booze!!! Yikes--what is this world coming to????? Never a word was spoken--although we did not walk on with said bottle in hand, but in a bag, or backpack, or whatever--very very easy.

Same on Princess--this is not rocket surgery!

Cathy

Iyyiiyiii!! People!!! Just returned from Century in the Med--bought wine in many ports and just brought on board with me!!!! And baguettes, and all sorts of goodies. Don't make this harder than it is! DO NOT pay $80 for a bottle of booze!!! Yikes--what is this world coming to????? Never a word was spoken--although we did not walk on with said bottle in hand, but in a bag, or backpack, or whatever--very very easy.

Same on Princess--this is not rocket surgery!

Cathy

This does not always work. Just back from the Constellation where bottles of wine, liquor, etc brought on board that were bought in ports were confiscated and returned on the last day of the cruise.

We always buy the liquor package as to insure that we will be able to have that drink on the veranda

• 1 month later...

So if you sail out of San Juan and are there a couple days ahead as we will be, do you just buy hard liquor there and put it in you regular luggage? Do they not screen you regular luggage or doesn't it show up? Wine is enough for me in the room, but hubby likes a real "drink".

We have put the bottles in the luggage the baggage handlers take care of, and we have also put it into water bottles. We have never had liquor taken out of our "checked" bags or our carry on. However in the carry ons we usually bring on the cokes and put the liqour in water bottles. So far we have not had a problem. Laurie

Archived