Maasdam & Panama Canal Full Transit

AECrowell

I've been looking at various reviews of Maasdam and her sister ships in anticipation of our Panama Canal cruise next Feb. 9 thru 24. We are thrilled about the trip and eager to find out what we can about her and the itinerary. Is this a new itinerary for the ship? I have not seen any reviews discussing Maasam and a full transit. (Also looked at the Panama Canal threads in general, but didn't see recent ones discussing this itinerary.) Has anyone taken this trip?

This is the Maasdam's winter Panama Canal jaunt. The sailing before you goes from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego. Your sailing then returns to Fort Lauderdale where the Maasdam will resume her Caribbean itineraries.

A trip through the canal is indeed a wonderful, unique experience. You are entitled to be thrilled with the prospect of this journey. It will be great!

I am travelling with my parents and it's the first time we've been through the Panama Canal. I will be reading "The Path Between the Seas" eagerly, as several people have recommended.

This will be my first time for the true Holland America experience as the only time I have been on a HAL ship was a full ship charter blues music cruise that did away with many of the traditional HAL events (dinner was open seating, no HAL shows, no formals, no Master Chef night, lectures or classes). It was a fabulously good time but not your normal cruising experience by any means...

I am wondering how many formal nights there will be on a 15-night cruise? We've been told two, but it seems likely there will be more. We are stopping at 7 ports, in addition to the canal transit, so perhaps that makes a difference. Does anyone know about the number of formal nights?

Archived