Mauna Kea excursion

mithryl

We're thinking about doing the Mauna Kea excursion in March '08. Has anyone done this? My partner has some (but not serious) breathing problems. I'd love to go to the summit, but don't know if it's worth it. Is the view mostly looking down on clouds or can you reaaly see a long way? Is the observatory really interesting?

Any information you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated. Excursions are not available yet for our sailing, but I like to book the things I really want to do as early as possible once they are released.

Aloha. Here's a link to an in-depth thread about visiting the Mauna Kea summit. (A question: "Some" breathing problems can be very broadly defined. Without going into personal details, do you mean something like mild intermitent asthma or something more serious? At 14,000, even the healthy can have problems. However, my DH does have mild asthma and was able to handle the summit with no problems by taking it slow and easy, as everyone is supposed to do, and by spending 2 hours at the Visitor's Center and by having spent 3 days at Volcano House at VNP with 4,000 elevation.)

Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=611967&highlight=%22mauna+kea%22

beachchick

We would highly recommend it.

Only one on our excursion had breathing problems because she did not follow the instructions of the tour director. The tour director told everyone to just take your time and walk around slowly and you would be OK. She hurried around and came up short of breath. Sat in bus for a few minutes and she was fine. It was her own fault. Everyone else was fine.

We now can say we saw SNOW in Hawaii as there was snow on the top of the mountains.

Your question about cloud cover is something that varies from day to day and hour to hour. We had approximately 70% open sky and 30% view blocked by clouds below us. No clouds were above us.

We had our lunch at the store and had a chance to adjust to the thin air. We stayed there for at least an hour.

The tour bus provided heavy parakas (sp?) for everyone on the ship's excursion.

Here are my personal cruise notes of our venture up to Mauna Kea Summit on a Carnival Sprit repositioning cruise excursion we enjoyed back in the Spring of 2004.

Saturday, April 24, 2004: Mauna KeaSummit Tour

Mauna Kea is a sacred place with the ancient history, cultural sites, and magnificent beauty created by fire and ice. The ancient Hawaiians considered it the home of Poli’ahu, the snow goddess. Today it is the world’s premier spot for astronomy. This memorable journey took us to the peak of the Pacific, the 13,796-foot summit! The view atop Mauna Kea can only be described as majestic moonscape and looking down on the clouds is mesmerizing. The tour included a ride through Downtown Hilo, Rainbow Falls, Mauna Loa lava flows, Kipuka Pu’u Huluhulu Native Tree Sanctuary, Onizuka Center for International Astronomy, and the world’s largest telescope at Keck Observatory. Jackets were provided and we wore long pants and comfortable shoes. This was a very informative fully guided tour. The minibus stopped in the parking lot atop Mauan Kea by the observatory on the top of the mountain. The observatories that we saw from the outside were:

1. The NASA’s 1st Observatory has a 24 inch telescope that was built primarily for satellite tracking and later was given to the University of Hawaii:

2. The Lowell Observatory contains a 24 inch telescope and was later donated to Leeward College on Oahu:

3. The University of Hawaii’s Observatory has an 88 inch telescope that when it was dedicated it was the seventh largest optical/infrared telescope in the world;

4. The Canada, France and Hawaii Observatory has a 3.8 meter telescope dedicated infrared telescope;

5. The United Kingdom Observatory has a 15 meter submillimeter antenna to look at the short radio wavelengths emitted by vibrating molecules in space;

6. The James Clerk Maxwell Observatory is a joint venture between the United Kingdom and the Netherlands and is one of the world’s leading observatories at submillimeter wavelengths;

7. The Keck I and Keck II Observatories were built by the University of California and Caltech. It is a 10.4 meter novel lightweight technology using multiple mirrors and automated control mechanisms to support a segmented mirror four times larger than anything before it. It transformed optical and infrared astronomy world-wide by being able to make observations that previously were impossible in a whole night of observing now can be accomplished in an hour or so, enabling many observations and real statistics to be obtained for the first time on critical faint objects like quasars and galaxies. For the first time astronomers can make reliable measurements of the density of the universe, and cosmology moves from guess work to measurement. The twin telescopes can work independently, each with its own suite or instrumentation. They also can work together, directing their two light beams down into a sophisticated beam combination room below the workshops. Keck was the firs large observatory to achieve this goal in 2001. The 10 meter aperture of a single Keck telescope provides a maximum theoretical resolution of about 50 milliarcsec at infrared wavelengths. With both Keck beams combined the maximum aperture increases to about 100 meters for a ten fold increase in resolution. This is equivalent to resolving a dime about 25 miles away and is the kind of fine resolution necessary to examine many astronomical sources;

8. The Gemini North Observatory has an 8 meter telescope that has a thin meniscus design and has controls on the mirror surfaces and all telescope parts that can be adjusted to maintain position and curvature as the telescope structure moves under gravity. It is a twin to the later built Gemini South located in Chile;

9. The Very Long Baseline Array or VLBA, consists of 10 identical 25 meter radio dishes spread across the United States from Hawaii to the U.S. Virgin Islands. All these dishes are operated remotely from Socorro, New Mexico and the data are transported fro subsequent combination and analysis. The 10 VLBA dishes effectively form a single “synthesis” telescope with an effective aperture of 8,500 kilometers;

10. The Submillimeter Array which is a collaborative project between the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory and the Academia Sinica Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics in Taiwan. This array of eight, 6-meter dishes exploits the synthesis and interferometry aspects of physics to form a versatile telescope for observations in the submillimeter region. A single submillimeter dish has relatively poor resolution of about a dime at 100 yards away. By combining several dishes together with larger baselines this can be improved by factors of 10 to 100. Each individual disk can be relocated by a large forklift to provid a compact array which maximizes the resolution or the dishes can be spread out to almost 1 kilometer baseline to achieve maximum resolution, but with reduced sensitivity.

We did enjoy the “Sea to Sky” experience on this adventuresome journey! We also saw the snow atop the mountain and all of the various observatories located atop the mountain. The altitude affected our breathing somewhat in that it required us to take deep breaths and move slowly. The box lunch included a bottle of water and a very large and delicious deli sandwich with chips and cookies. The tour lasted approximately 6 hours and was well worth the price.

Naha and Pinao Stones: 300 Waianuenue Avenue in Hilo is in front of Hilo Public Library. The Pinao Stone was an entrance pillar of Pinao Temple. The Naha Stone was used as a test of fitness for royalty. Reputedly only chiefs of Naha blood were able to move it. Legend says that Kamehameha I overturned the stone and later justified the belief that he who succeeded in performing this feat would be the greatest king.

Rainbow Falls: Located off of Waianuenue Avenue on Rainbow Drive in Hilo. In the morning a rainbow often appears in the mist around the falls. The volume of the falls in Wailuku River State Park dwindles during the dry summer months.

Kipuka Puaulu: Is on Mauna Loa Road. A kipuka is an island of older soil and vegetation surrounded by more recent lava flows. A 1-mile trail loops through its forests and grassy meadows.

Mauna Loa: Adjoins Kilauea to the west and reached via Mauna Road. It is the world’s largest volcano. The summit rises about 31,784 feet above sea level. This enormous mountain was built by innumerable lava flows. In the last century Mauna Loa has erupted on an average of once every 3.75 years. Lava produced during this period has totaled more than 3.5 billion cubic yards. The summit may be hiked one way from the end of Mauna Loa Road is 18 miles. One of the most voluminous flows in recent history began in 1950. Highly liquid lava escaped from a fissure 13 miles long and reached the sea in less than 3 hours having advanced at a speed of approximately 3.75 miles an hour. This massive eruption amounted to about 600 million cubic yards of lava and is enough t pave a four-lane highway 4.5 times around the world. With the exception of a brief eruption in July 1975 Mauna Loa waited 34 years before generating another major eruption. On March 25, 1984 Mauna Loa began a 22-day eruption that sent lava flows down its northeast flank from a vent at the 9,400-foot level. The two longest flows extended about 16 miles from the vent. This eruption coincided with yet another eruption of Kilauea for the first time that both volcanoes had erupted simultaneously in 65 years.

Mauna Loa Road: Branches off of Hwy 11 opposite Kilauea Caldera and reaches an elevation of 6,600 feet. The road may be closed due to high fire danger. A short turnoff leads to molds of trees formed when lava made a shell around the trunks. A trail at the end of the road passes through mountain parkland and above 10,000 feet enters barren lava fields; ice lingers in cracks protected from the sun at the summit. This path follows the northeast rift zone. The trail considered one of the island’s most difficult hikes might be closed due to high winds or deep snow. Under any circumstances the ascent of Mauna Loa can take a toll on the unprepared hiker in the form of severe sunburn and worn shoe soles. Shelters at the 10,000-foot level at Red Hill and near the summit are available on a first cone first served basis.

Mauna Kea State Recreation Area: It is located 35 miles west of Hilo on Hwy 200 at the 6,500-foot level on Mauna Kea. Near the park are cinders and spatter cone formations and examples of shield volcanism. A road leads to the 9,000-foot level at Hale Pohaku that is a base camp for the University of Hawaii’s Mauna Kea observatory and continues to the summit. Skiing is available weather permitting from November through January. Access to areas off Hwy 200 is by foot or four wheel drive vehicle. Note that there is no drinking water available. Open from dawn to dusk and admission is free.

• 1 month later...
You're doing the University of Hawaii's weekend afternoon tour? If so, you'll love it! That's what we did. We had no interest in going on a "commercial" tour for $$$.

The UofH tour is wonderful for anyone willing to put in some effort. You'll meet at the Visitor's Center for orientation ...

beachchick

Do you have information as to where I can get involved in this tour? DH and I are both geologists (or DH is, and I have the degree but chose a different career) and this would be fabulous! We are cruising on POAm next August, but we are spending a week pre-cruise in Volcano Village. We've been to VNP several times, but this time we're staying close by to eliminate the need to have to drive back to Kona, and so would have the time and opportunity to visit the summit of Mauna Kea, though one of us will have to stay below at the VC with our teens - age limitations are definitely worth a mention. That's gonna be an interesting rock-paper-scissors challenge... best two out of three, no three out of five? My older DD has been to the visitor's center for stargazing with the UoH program Earth Explore several years ago. Gosh, I want a turn!!

Any info would be appreciated!

NVM, found it... http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/ Unfortunately this will be difficult as we arrive on a Saturday. Jumping right in the next day may not be the best of ideas until we neutralize the jet lag. We live at elevation anyway, but we'll probably be waking up at three in the morning local time and drooping by sunset. Perhaps we can book a tour up to the visitor's center later in the week. I found the permitted tour operators too - http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/permitted_tours.html Any advice on selecting a tour operator?

Do you have information as to where I can get involved in this tour? DH and I are both geologists (or DH is, and I have the degree but chose a different career) and this would be fabulous! We are cruising on POAm next August, but we are spending a week pre-cruise in Volcano Village. We've been to VNP several times, but this time we're staying close by to eliminate the need to have to drive back to Kona, and so would have the time and opportunity to visit the summit of Mauna Kea, though one of us will have to stay below at the VC with our teens - age limitations are definitely worth a mention. That's gonna be an interesting rock-paper-scissors challenge... best two out of three, no three out of five? My older DD has been to the visitor's center for stargazing with the UoH program Earth Explore several years ago. Gosh, I want a turn!!

Any info would be appreciated!

Fantastic! You'll already be partially acclimated from being at Volcano Village. You'll still be required to spend the full time at the Visitor's Center with the UofH tour group. There's an introductory session and film, which is nice, but also serves to help pass the time. DH and I both knew a lot of the info, had been at Volcano House for a few days, and had been at the summit for 2 hours already.

You don't really have to "sign up" for the tour, but you must check with the university to make sure they are doing the tour that weekend or specific weekend day. The tours are only Sat and Sun afternoons. You must (this is NOT optional) have your own 4-w/d vehicle to get from the Visitors Center to the summit. A 2-w/d will not be allowed. Rent from Harpers because they allow their 4-w/d's to go to the summit. Check the vehicle over at Harper's before you leave and note ANY dings, damage, etc. so you don't have possible issues later. It's not a cheap rental, but it's the only way to do the UofH tour because they do not offer transportation under any circumstances.

August is a great time to go because the summit "warmer" then. You'll still need long pants, a jacket, and such, but not the cold weather gear that is needed in the fall/winter/spring. In fact, in the winter and during adverse conditions (think very heavy rain making the graded gravel "road" even more difficult), the tour is not held at all. That's why it's so important to check with the university and to check weather conditions.

You'll need to leave Volcano Village by 9:30 am or so because it's more than 2 hours to the summit. You do not need pre-reservations, but you will need to sign in when the university folks arrive. Bring a picnic and have a nice lunch at the picnic tables. There's really no food up there except "snacks." There's no fuel, so be sure you've got a full tank in Hilo. I'm sure you know how the altitude sucks up the gas (and not in a good way).

Have you been at altitude before? If so (and I'm sure you probably have been), then you know what to expect and what to do and what to prepare for. If not, then you'll need to pay careful instructions to what the university guides tell you.

Here's a link to the university site:

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/mko/visiting.htm

Click on "Visitors Information Website" for more details on the university tours. From there, click on "Mauna Kea Observatories" for the individual websites. And just click around on the links for additional tour/university/summit information.

I actually called one of the contacts to make certain there would be "room" for us the days we had available. He was very nice and took a note of our names, but told me that as long as there are enough university staff and as long as people adhere to the requirements, there's usually no problem at all.

It's an incredible day.

beachchick

I appreciate the information, thank you!

The whole family has been to the summit at Pikes Peak, elevation 14,110, and it does make you feel pretty woozy. They have an oxygen bar at the visitor's center there - lol, but wow, the air is thin. My USGS friends who've been to Mauna Kea tell me that the air there is even rarer - I don't understand that, but I believe them.

Jackets and long pants are required at any time of the year up at elevation, and something to cover your ears - it's always windy. My sister came to visit me one year and I took her to Rocky Mountain National Park in July. I told her to wear jeans and bring a sweatshirt or jacket. She didn't believe me, but did as I asked. She thanked me at the 2-mile-high benchmark.

I know they don't recommend under 16 at the summit, but do they prevent you from taking them? Mine will be 13 and 15, and both are adult heights and weights even now.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the commercial tours that I read about which depart from Hilo, and I'm not interested in driving back to Volcano Village from Kona in the dark. Been there, done that, NOT doing it again. Do you have any advice to offer about any of the organized tours, in case we just can't make one of the UoH groups? I looked at Jack's tours and Arnott's Lodge. Their websites left me ... underwhelmed.

I appreciate the information, thank you!

The whole family has been to the summit at Pikes Peak, elevation 14,110, and it does make you feel pretty woozy. They have an oxygen bar at the visitor's center there - lol, but wow, the air is thin. My USGS friends who've been to Mauna Kea tell me that the air there is even rarer - I don't understand that, but I believe them.

Jackets and long pants are required at any time of the year up at elevation, and something to cover your ears - it's always windy. My sister came to visit me one year and I took her to Rocky Mountain National Park in July. I told her to wear jeans and bring a sweatshirt or jacket. She didn't believe me, but did as I asked. She thanked me at the 2-mile-high benchmark.

I know they don't recommend under 16 at the summit, but do they prevent you from taking them? Mine will be 13 and 15, and both are adult heights and weights even now.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the commercial tours that I read about which depart from Hilo, and I'm not interested in driving back to Volcano Village from Kona in the dark. Been there, done that, NOT doing it again. Do you have any advice to offer about any of the organized tours, in case we just can't make one of the UoH groups? I looked at Jack's tours and Arnott's Lodge. Their websites left me ... underwhelmed.

Well, if you're on a tour with UofH, it would be an issue if the subject came up. If they don't question you, then probably not. The biggest concern is, as I'm sure you know, that young lungs and brains are still developing and usually cannot safely handle the elevation. Now, I typically would say that the rules exist for a reason (and they do), and if you were talking about a pregnant woman or someone with real respiratory problems or youngsters who had lived their whole lives at sea level, I'd be the first one to admonish you not to try it. However, your kids live at elevation (granted, not that high) and have been to Pike's Peak (I went there when I was about 14 and had no problems). Only you know for sure if they can handle it. One of the problems is that there are no facilities for medical concerns at the summit, and medical emergencies pretty much require helicopter fly in and rescue. The commercial tours all have O2 on hand, but the UofH does not, so they are quite strict about the rules. I feel certain that part of the reason is related to liability. You could certainly take your chances. If the guides learn your kids are underage, they will most likely not be allowed to go up to the summit.

We wouldn't take a commercial tour, so I can't give you any recommendations. They are expensive, they "herd" you around, they sometimes mislead (IMO) about the stargazing they do making people think that it's at the summit--it isn't, and they do not have access to the UofH telescope. If you're with the university tour, you get to tour the whole thing inside and out. As well, the UofH tours go into the Keck II viewing room and Keck visitor's room without the general public tagging along. I suspect that the commercial tours are extremely strict with the age and health restrictions because of liability and insurance. They may have liability forms that you have to sign, but I don't know. I could not agree more that the commercial tours are not particularly appealing.

Of course, for the university tour, you would have a hefty rental cost from Harper's, but it would still be far less than the per person cost of a commercial tour. Because you are coming in from Denver, you may do okay leaping into the tour the next day. (Sorry, I didn't read that last night to realize that you're coming in on a Saturday.) You'll definitely be up bright and early. It depends on how well you all handle jet lag. If you decide to do it (and I recommend that you give it serious consideration), you can pick up picnic supplies in Hilo and have a relaxing lunch at the Visitor's Center before the tour. My only real concern would be if they question your kids' ages. I honestly have no idea how they handle those requirements. I think the youngest people on our tour were actually the grad students in their early to mid 20s.

beachchick

One of the tours said that their stargazing consisted of binoculars and a high-powered laser pointer, but emphasized that their tour was half the cost of the others. :rolleyes:

I will have to give this much more consideration, and maybe check with the UoH for clarification about the age requirements, and check with my kids' doctor for advice as well. I don't need a medical crisis in such a remote location, much as I would LOVE to do this. This is trip #6 for me, and there certainly will be a #7.

It sounds to me like a thorough inspection of Harpers' vehicles and digital photographing of every inch beforehand is a very good idea to document the state of the vehicle on receipt. I appreciate the heads up.

The commercial tours all have O2 on hand, but the UofH does not, so they are quite strict about the rules.

We went on the UofH tour in October and we met up with the "mountain ambassador" at the top who had an o2 tank and followed us around asking if everyone was okay. We risked taking our Jeep up from Alamo and didn't have any problems - of course if we had broken down or had a problem they would not have helped because we violated the contract. Interestingly, there was a couple the rented an explorer from Harpers and it was only 2wd and not as suited to go up, even though they were allowed and did make it.

We went on the UofH tour in October and we met up with the "mountain ambassador" at the top who had an o2 tank and followed us around asking if everyone was okay. We risked taking our Jeep up from Alamo and didn't have any problems - of course if we had broken down or had a problem they would not have helped because we violated the contract. Interestingly, there was a couple the rented an explorer from Harpers and it was only 2wd and not as suited to go up, even though they were allowed and did make it.

This is great news about the oxygen! I'm so very glad they added an "O2 guide" along with the regular guides.

What a bummer about the other couple! I wonder if they specified 4-w/d and that the rental was for Mauna Kea? We did and if they had tried to pawn a 2-w/d off on us, my DH would have raised...well, you know. I'm a bit surprised that they were allowed to drive up to the summit. I'm guessing because the UofH staff were there to make sure they didn't do anything stupid or get stuck; plus, a 2-w/d Explorer is slightly more suited than most 2-w/d vehicles because of its weight, structure, and so forth. When regular 2-w/d vehicles (with inexperienced drivers) try the road from the Visitors Center to the summit, they can get stuck, get hurt, and also seriously damage the condition of the graded gravel road, which the astronomers and staff must use and which must be maintained in safe condition for them. It's hard enough, just imagine it in the snow after 2-w/d sedans have chewed it up into ruts.

beachchick

UofH was a little hesitent about letting the 2wd up the road, but just made sure they had it in the lowest gear possible. It was 2 cars ahead of us and we saw that it seemed to fishtail a bit more than the others - so I could see how there would be a concern about making ruts in the road.

The mountain ambassador at the top with the oxygen was the "native" (I don't know the proper term? - I apologize in advance!) gentleman that was featured in the film they show at the VIS. He also gave us information about the sacredness of Mauna Kea and encouraged us to hike to the top of the cinder cone where sacrifices are left. It was a great experience to hear his take on the mountain and the imporantance to the Hawaiian culture. I don't know if he's there every saturday, but i sure hope so, because he adds a lot to the experience.

UofH was a little hesitent about letting the 2wd up the road, but just made sure they had it in the lowest gear possible. It was 2 cars ahead of us and we saw that it seemed to fishtail a bit more than the others - so I could see how there would be a concern about making ruts in the road.

The mountain ambassador at the top with the oxygen was the "native" (I don't know the proper term? - I apologize in advance!) gentleman that was featured in the film they show at the VIS. He also gave us information about the sacredness of Mauna Kea and encouraged us to hike to the top of the cinder cone where sacrifices are left. It was a great experience to hear his take on the mountain and the imporantance to the Hawaiian culture. I don't know if he's there every saturday, but i sure hope so, because he adds a lot to the experience.

Native Hawaiian, or, in Hawaiian - kanaka maoli - a person born in Hawaii of any ancestry is kama'aina - a child of the land. Generically, Polynesian is the racial descriptive term. People of mixed ancestry who are kama'aina are generally called 'local' and Caucasians are called haole, which can be descriptive, affectionate, or insulting depending on the tone and intent.

It is an amazing experience to be at the summit with people who have a cultural connection to the Mountain.

Archived