Ardastra Gardens

mom2NnB

Absolutely plenty of time. Ardastra is only a couple miles west of downtown Nassau. If you take a taxi from the port you can be there in 10-15 minutes. If you walk down to the intersection across from the Straw Market you can take the #10 jitney bus for $1 per person. Tell the driver where you want to go so that he stops at the appropriate location. From there you'll have to walk up the hill about two blocks to the Ardastra entry road but that's a short walk. There is one morning marching flamingo show which is a hallmark of Ardastra. By far it's not one of the world's greatest zoos but it's a pleasant little place and a good way to spend some of your port time. And the flamingo show is unique!

BobK/Orlando

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to be neg but that place was awful--smelly & dirty... not many exhibits very disappointing..I love aviaries & gardens but this was not worth the long trip to get there on a ship's excursions.--past many houses with razor wire..

& lucky me was picked to march with the flamingoes-- It looks better in the brochure than in real life--at least when we were there..

Sorry to be positive, but I have enjoyed it a couple of times. Didn't notice it to be particularly smelly considering that it is a zoo. Exhibit space is adequate for the (mostly) small animals. Each time I've been there the cats have had cardboard boxes to play with, the birds are friendly, the pig is friendly, in short the animals seem to have their emotional as well as physical needs tended to.

I have walked to and from the dock both times. Most people would consider it a hot and long walk, but it's doable. Probably not recommended for everyone.

In addition to the flamingo show (and there are not many places where you can stand two feet from a flamingo with no fence between you) there is also lory feeding. 4 or 5 colorful species land on your arms and head. .

There is nothing larger than a jaguar, but it is a great place to observe small animals up close. Check out the meerkats - amazingly intense, sort of desperate expressions, as if they're trying to tell you something.

As a small bonus, across the street and about fifty yards to the right is the entrance to the Botanical Garden, which has a nice little overlook back from the entrance. There is a huge tree with fantastic roots by the parking area. Admission is free, and it would only take twenty or so minutes to walk around. When I was there I had it entirely to myself.

It's a pleasant little place. In February the flamingo show was 10:30 and the lory feeding 11:00, which should get you back in plenty of time.

• 1 month later...

We loved the Ardastra Gardens! We walked, it took about 45 minutes to get there, pausing a couple times to look at the map... We enjoyed the flamingos, feeding the birds, and walking around. It was really nice, and after being on the crowded ship for a few days, it was nice to have the place nearly to ourselves!

We walked. I don't know if it was wise or not (seemed fine to us), but it was about 2.5-3 miles to the zoo, and I think the botanical gardens were just beyond that. I'm judging distance by the fact that it took about 45 minutes to walk there, and we were walking quickly but not really, really fast. If we were to do it again, we would probably have looked at the map better so that we could have visited or at least walked closer past Fort Charlotte. We kinda walked that way, then decided not to and backtracked a little. (That said, it's probably closer to 2.5 miles.)

On the way back, we walked by the US Embassy. For the record, they are not very thrilled to have visitors and it's not a very good idea to try to take pictures of the place, although we thought it was a nice building. :D

How much is cab fare from the ship to the zoo?

We went in September '07 and if I recall correctly the cab fare was about $12 to the zoo from the pier. When you are finished in the zoo the ladies in the gift shop will be happy to call for a cab for you to return to the pier.

Here are a few pics from our visit: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562410577cTVRbc

Archived