Can anyone help????

Hulabetty

My husband and I are looking for more of a private chartered tour on Hilo. We did the volcano excursion off the ship last year, but want to go with just a few people instead of a busload. Looking for one that goes out to the water where the lava tube flows out, and then of course through the Volcano Nat'l Park.

Does anyone know of any???? We had one booked, but they are ceasing operations just before we leave....what are the chances!!! :)

Any help would be appreciated :)

mbuenzli,

Which tour did you take? Did you take the 12-hour tour or half-day tour? I'm wondering how much walking/hiking you do during the tour? What is the longest mileage you're walking? The tours look great! I'm going in March and can't wait to see the live lava!! Mahalo!

mbuenzli,

Which tour did you take? Did you take the 12-hour tour or half-day tour? I'm wondering how much walking/hiking you do during the tour? What is the longest mileage you're walking? The tours look great! I'm going in March and can't wait to see the live lava!! Mahalo!

The tour we did with Hawaii Forest and Trail may have been a special arrangement with the cruiseline (NCL) as far as timing but it was 6 hours. Since the lava was flowing bigtime when we were there, the tour guide (his name is Danny and he is AWESOME!) asked did we want to concentrate the tour time at the lava so we went straight to that. The walk out to the flowing lava was less than 1/2 mile (I understand it can vary depending on the volcano activity) and once there it is very, very uneven terrain. You definitely need sturdy, closed toe shoes. I'm in my 40's and in average shape and I didn't find it too strenuous. There was some more walking at the other sights we went to after the lava, but nothing at all hard. The heat was more exhausting than the walking (we were there in early September and the weather was hot in addition to the heat from the lava). They supply everyone with a walking stick and a fanny pack with water and other supplies, so you're prepared for the conditions. I'd highly recommend this tour. I can't believe how close we were able to get to lava just pouring out of the ground. I wish there was a way to share the videos I took with my digital camera. If you would like to look at some still photos, they are posted here http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=mf7pqqr.9wxd7epz&x=0&y=yt4hok

We are also interested in a tour of the Volcano area, but everything I have found so far starts in Kona, we will be staying in the Volcano area for two nights before going to Kona, so would like to do something there. Any suggestions??:cool:

Archived