children's programs charges

leprechaun2

On Royal Caribbean, I was told that a daily charge was added to your ship account to cover "gratuities" for the children's program. I don't know whether that is true or not. We are going on Voyager at Christmas and would like to know in advance if I should expect this.

Not true - there is no charge for the children's programs. As passengers, however, your children are subject to the suggested tipping policy on the ship and you can have your tips automatically added to your shipboard account if you'd like. None of the suggested tips go to the children's program staff however. If you would like to tip the staff, you need to physically give them a tip.

There is no charge for the basic times of the camp. They start at 9AM and go until 10PM normally (with a lunch break). However, they encourage the kids to stay in the camp until 1AM. That way they earn extra money (after 10PM there is a charge of $ 4.00 per hour).

My son had fun in the camp but I and other parents were annoyed that the kids were promised trinkets if they stayed up until 1AM. I ended up letting my son buy the same crap in the ship gift shop just so he wouldn't be disappointed.

This isn't right and I really didn't like Adventure Ocean for this reason. I also didn't like that you have to walk thru the videoarcade to get to Adventure Ocean. That means kids whining about playing games.

I didn't have this experience on Celebrity or Cunard and will stick with these ships.

No that is completly false. The daily pre paid tips breaks down to money for the server/assitant server and your cabin attendant. It has nothing to do with AO.

You *can* tip the counselors at AO but it is NOT necessary. It is up to your own discretion.

The only charge ($5/hour for the Late Night Party Zone) is only if your child stays in AO till after 10pm.

rebeccalouise - We honestly didn't have that experience with AO. My oldest is 7 and she left AO by 10pm every night because she was tired. They didn't pressure her at all. There were no awards for staying at the LNPZ. And she never ever mentioned the arcade. So the placement didn't work for her. ;)

For my youngest, the kids club entrance for those 3-5 is not place near the arcade. At least not on the Freedom class ships.

I was on Radiance of the Seas and you do have to walk thru the arcade to get to the doors to Adventure Ocean. The waterslide is only open for two hours per day and they were continually late getting there to open it.

The staff was not as friendly as on other cruises I have done.

Don't get me wrong- my son had a ball and loved his experience and that makes me very happy.

On Royal Caribbean, I was told that a daily charge was added to your ship account to cover "gratuities" for the children's program. I don't know whether that is true or not. We are going on Voyager at Christmas and would like to know in advance if I should expect this.

RCL does not add tips automatically to the sea pass cards. You will be given an opportunity to add the tips to the sea pass but it is not done without your permission.

Archived