fuel surcharge email

janise

We booked our cruise about a month ago and put down 15% of the total fare. I think adding the surcharge to crusies booked and with substantial deposits is very poor customer realtions-to go back after you've closed a sale and say oops, we need more. I feel Regent should honor the price that it listed for those of us who have bookings in place, or at the very least we should be allowed to cancel the cruise without incurring a penalty. I expect this kind of nickel and dime treatment from the mass market lines, and it has left a very poor taste in my mouth as far as further cruises with Regent. After some discussion, my husband and I decided to hold our reservation - we do love the PG and the Tahiti itinereary, but I seriously doubt we will every take another Regent cruise. I'm equally dismayed that Regent would not promise my TA that there would not be further increases (and cmon, we're not going to get a refund if the price falls) and if that does happen, we will definitely cancel.

And as for it being a carbon tax, I believe a carbon tax is supposed to benefit all, and help reduce carbon emmissions. This is a surcharge that benefits a corporation.

We booked our cruise about a month ago and put down 15% of the total fare. I think adding the surcharge to crusies booked and with substantial deposits is very poor customer realtions-to go back after you've closed a sale and say oops, we need more. I feel Regent should honor the price that it listed for those of us who have bookings in place, or at the very least we should be allowed to cancel the cruise without incurring a penalty. I expect this kind of nickel and dime treatment from the mass market lines, and it has left a very poor taste in my mouth as far as further cruises with Regent. After some discussion, my husband and I decided to hold our reservation - we do love the PG and the Tahiti itinereary, but I seriously doubt we will every take another Regent cruise. I'm equally dismayed that Regent would not promise my TA that there would not be further increases (and cmon, we're not going to get a refund if the price falls) and if that does happen, we will definitely cancel.

And as for it being a carbon tax, I believe a carbon tax is supposed to benefit all, and help reduce carbon emmissions. This is a surcharge that benefits a corporation.

We at one point shared your view and skepticism as we really were under the impression that cruiselines purchased their fuel more then a year in advance......we actually thought they bought for several years in advance. I have since been educated that is not the way it happens. You are in fact protected from any further increases for 2008 if you pay the balance in full by November 30th before the December 1st. deadline. Why you would feel obliged to never take another Regent cruise is your perogative but please note that it's not only Regent that is taking this stance but almost all of the cruiselines to date. Regent and all of the lines had no idea that the price of fuel would sky rocket like it has and also no one could predict that the leader of the world currency.....the U.S. dollar would fall like it has recently which whether you like it or not does have an impact on fuel surcharges. Again, why pick on Regent as the villain when most of the cruiselines have implemented the same fuel surcharge and even some are listed as more per day. Again it's your opinion and you are entilted to it but with the way things are......I respectully disagree with you and I still see why Regent implemented the surcharge. Yes, I wish it didn't happen but I do understand why it happend and no longer feel like we are being gouged. Just my opinion!

Pat

I agree that the fuel surcharges were necessary (and unfortunate). Fuel surcharges have already been added to airfares -- with zero to little notice given by the airlines. It is interesting that a comparison of airline fuel surcharges has not been discussed on this thread since most of us either have airfare included in their cruise price or are paying for airfare separately.

While I disagree that fuel surcharges could be a "marketing tool" (:confused: ), the mega cruise ship owner, Carnival (tried to count all of their ships -- Carnival, Seabourn, Holland America, etc. etc. etc. -- stopped at 50) no doubt were able to negotiate better pricing than smaller lines like Regent and Silversea (thus the lower fuel charges and the cap). Let's just hope that things will level out. . . .

Archived